what do you compose first

Typically I like to start with a chord progression to lay down the groundwork, then some melodic elements...then drums / bass, n then I typically remove the original chord progression and replace it with other harmonic parts tht fit better but are based off the original progression.

It's different every time sometime I got a sample ready other times I play w drums. When I draw a blank I mess around w sounds try to create some new

Surprised to see alot of people have a set way of going about it... I may mess around with a sound and lead i like and lay it down ruffly but i really like my drums to carry most of the music so ill lay down a nice pattern first, then doctor the lead up some to make it ride better.. but really its just lights out headphones on mess around til i do something i think is catchy whether it be a lead or drum pattern.. let it flow

it depends...sometimes I'll start with a solid bass line; but other times i'll start with a few chords (synth melodies). But, then again I've started songs with a lead. So, yeah, I guess it just depends on the moment.

Can be anything, but I always start with either my chord progression or melody.
But usually chord progression.
Even if I don't even end up using the progression in my track, i like to use it as my foundation of the beat. I get my bassline based on my progression, even if I don't use the roots and melodies come to my mind a lot quicker when I already have a progression. I make the drums fits and change them up until I get my vision, sometimes I get unexpected grooves too.

excellent guys! i like your different approaches and this just gave me the idea to try these different approaches for when my approach doesn't work...

just a word of advice for you all for when you run into producer's block...i know that everyone has their own preferences for how they approach a track and whatever works for you, then continue doing that...but if you run into producer's block, then try starting with the melody, or drums or bass, or whatever...just try starting with something new and you might discover a new way to approach production...don't be afraid to change up from time to time...remember, it's all about experimenting...that's how we evolve and learn new things :)

cheers!

I definitely start out laying the drums and then the harmony. Then structure out the song. The melody. Obviously there are some songs with exceptions but that's the usual pattern for me.

chords > drums > bass > lead & then arrange... the chords usually come from feeling + musical influences, i dont have problems ever recreating what i hear in my head, but funnily enough i find its more fun just letting go and not controlling the process too much

Same here, I tried also to make drums and bass first and then create the main theme but it was a disaster, the drums weren't fitting the theme so I had to change them :D

main melody, thand drums, than accompaniment, than bassline

The ground up, the drums and bass are the heart for me when it comes to composing. Once I have a motif, then everything else falls into place

^motifs are very important in music...once a good motif is derived that motif can be repeated with pitch changes and that is one of the best ways for me to compose my melodies!

i have found i have most succes when i make the main melody first, before i choose asound, before i even load a VST onto the track. i like 4 chord melodies so usually ill make some chords that flow well together and then make a sound that matches. after that i layer it with a few other sounds, add my drum pattern, sidechain if needed ETC.

Back