What do rappers once their career is over?

dmensah1 said:
biz markee is a dj. i saw him at best buy the other day.

that's insane.

They get their own tv show (Run's House, Flavor of Love, Snoop Dizzle Televizzle, Pimp My Ride, etc.)

Or they make crap movies (Friday After Next, Tourque, Are We There Yet, Are We Done Yet, Who gives a sh!t) Although I'm not baggin on Cubes actin career. He's done some bomb ass movies, like BIDH, Friday, Three Kings.

It's just kind of sad what "washed up" rappers will do one they've had their run. I put commas over washed up cause Cube is kind of a sellout, but he still puts out albums.

Check Out "Legend Of The Fall Offs" by Busta Rhymes.....he has a creepier take on it.

lol i have a hard time believin that man... u no that would be all over the news if it was true.

showtime 23 said:
My friend saw Rakim at McDonalds pushin a minivan a few years back here in the Bronx.
I don't believe you...

... that's because I would tithe to Rakim for what he did....

Capadonna was supposedly driving a cab... at one point in time after the WU....

Last edited by a moderator:
Animate said:
They take their last little bit of money and buy 4 suits. A purple one, a teal one, a dark grey one, and a random colored one like orange or red. They then get a nice "fashionable" piece of neck jewelry. Then they find Jesus and start making their fortunes back speaking on cable about the goodness of the Lord.

See Ma$e (whom I don't respect anymore) and Hammer.

I respect mase for turning into a pastor.

If they are smart, then they will most likely stay involved in the music industry but get involved in another aspect. It seems very typical for artists starting their own record labels or getting a good job within a major label. Some will get into production and/or management. Some will get involved in things like club promotions/running a club. It also seems typical that once a big major labels artist's career begins slowing down, they move to a smaller independent label and struggle to continue being a successful musician. Then the rest of them just find other random jobs or go to school again.

I think the same kinds of things go for producers, thats why I am very cautious of this and keep many options open for a post-music industry lifestyle in the case that I need to. Im getting my BA in Business Economics so that should be a solid foundation for the workforce if I need it. And I plan on having the option of pursuing an MBA if I decide I want to further my education and guarantee myself some strong jobs.

^^that reminds me of one of the guys from Channel Live. i think his name was Hakeem. he's the manager of Young Zee now.

You guys are thinking of the guys who didn't "fall off".

Biz Markie has been DJing since the beginning, he gets thousands a gig and has at least 2 a week. Lives in a mansion.

Cappadonna however didn't drive a cab. He did something they call "gypsy cabbing" where you drive your own car around NY asking people if they need rides. You usually pick up criminals and take them to do dirt. He has somewhere around 6 kids, rap money ain't that big. At their prime less famous Wu Members were making about $50,000 a year each. That was 3-5 years max. Even RZA aknoweges that Cappa only accumulated about $200,000 for his efforts.

In a few years, Chingy will have a story he's over $600,000 in debt to his label.

Amil works at K-Mart in Kansas City. She still has a fly car tho. :rolleyes: But you have to understand, she never had her own album, just feature money. Tours put some cash in her pocket, but she was with the Roc, so she was flashy. Jay takes care of people around him, but once your out his circle, you're on your own. She made $80,000 max her whole career. I'm sure she got gear and jewelry from just hanging around Jay.

Ma$e ran off to become a Pastor and broke his contract with Puff for 5 albums. Puff, being Ma$e's friend felt Ma$e should be allowed to quit rap to persue spirituality, so he released Ma$e from contract(losing Puff millions)with a clause that before Ma$e could return to music freely he was obligated to finish his 5 album deal. He returned with "Welcome Back"(album 3 of 5), missed shows, did lackluster chart numbers, then wanted to jump ship to G-Unit and go back to being "Murder Ma$e(cursing, talking about killing, basically grimier than Bad Boy Ma$e). Puff felt disrespected and now won't release Ma$e and will take a huge percentage of any profits Ma$e ever makes off music.

Most past rappers end up living a regular life working warehouse jobs where they're not publicly seen, or living with family and other artists managing off meager(I'm talking $50-300/month)royalties. Alot end up selling drugs, on drugs in crackhouses, go back to the streets if that's where they were before. Start pimping groupies, or get a rich groupie and mooch off of her.

I see this sh*t everyday, I stopped naming names on this site, I'm cutting off my own foot by doing so. But if you watch an episode of rap city from the late 90s about 90% of the people on that show are doing one of the things I said. Some people who just had a big hit a year ago are doing stuff on the list I said.

Rap does not make you rich. As Black Folk we always talk bigger than what we do. Don't majority of Black folk in the military drive cars and rock Jewelry they can't afford? Don't drug dealers buy extravagant things, but dodge child support, get locked up have no money for bail? What makes you think rappers live life different?

When the ride ends, it ends. I've had to play a multiplatinum artist's way in the club after he hitched a ride with me because his "momz be naggin him to get a job", so he wanted to go holla at sum biches. Once he got in the club "oh sh*t, it's MC git busy!!!" V.I.P. treatment, free drinks, got to meet a dude from trillville, hung out with Darius McCrae(Eddie Winslow on that show with Urkle)and Xzibit, smoked a few blunts with some model chicks in the parking lot. He went in the cut somewhere, got groped up real quick by one of the model chicks(she was bad too!), then we hopped in the car and I took him home...to his mama.

I don't make this sh*t up, wish I could say I did.

Last edited:
who is/was is Amil? nevaheard lol... :) didn't ya say mr pimp blow da whistle is kinda broke too? i guess the pack ain't bringin in that much money either..

The guys that have been smart enough to invest into something else than music, will make it out easily.. Snoop has a million and one things going on (also, i think 90% of his music income goes into other pockets), TI has some construction business, Slim Thug has real estates just like Busta.. paul wall sels grills, obviously.. and of course, Jay, Diddy and 50 have a multimillion businesses besides music. acting seems to be the thing also for everyone, including new comers... for the obvious reason, it's pays better than music.

Last edited:
Amil was a female rapper signed to Rocafella. She was on like 60% of the Dynasty : Roc La Familia Album.
Songs she was on
"Jigga What" - Jay-Z
"Can I get a" - Jay-Z feat. Ja Rule & Amil
"I got that" - Amil feat. Beyonce

Buncha other crap I can't remember the name of. The Dynasty song they did the video for with diamonds falling everywhere. Jay, Bleek, Sigel were on it with her.

Last edited:
I saw K-Solo on mp3.com before it shut down. He was trying to sell his own songs.

I remember Usher saying that he's never leaving the business, he said as soon as he stops selling... he's going to find somebody that can and he'll manage them. This was way before he became the Usher he is now. He said he was getting to know all of the right people in case he ever needed a favor. Smart guy.

Back