What do people here think of Grime music?

jpixels

What do americans make of grime artists like Dizzee Rascal and Kano from the UK? Can u ever see this form of music taking off, with a little more time to develop?

I don't know any Grime artists by name, I just listen to some of it on internet radio (via iTunes). But I do like some of it. The only thing I don't like is if there are offensive lyrics. But so far I haven't heard much of that so it's cool.

grime is good dizzee is good that i luv you tune sounds good on a club system! kano's pretty tight tho hes obviously more hip hop

I'm from the UK and I can tell you without a doubt this and UK Hip Hop arent taking off for a long LONG time.

^dunno, the whole synth sound is coming back, have u heard of hadouken? they are v big and do a grime style sound

jpixels said:
^dunno, the whole synth sound is coming back, have u heard of hadouken? they are v big and do a grime style sound
they are super****, bandwagoners ... dont ever mention them and grime in the same sentence, they never cared for the sound in the beggining, all they did was attach its name to their band so they can gain fans and reviews for being "different".

to anyone wanting real grime, copy and paste this link into a good media player: (remove the spaces)

typhoon.exequo .org : 8000 / rinseradio.m3u

the home of grime (literally)

or search for artist like JME, Skepta, Footsie, Ruff Squad in last FM

jpixels said:
they are super****, bandwagoners ... dont ever mention them and grime in the same sentence, they never cared for the sound in the beggining, all they did was attach its name to their band so they can gain fans and reviews for being "different".

to anyone wanting real grime, copy and paste this link into a good media player: (remove the spaces)
h t t p : // typhoon.exequo .org : 8000 / rinseradio.m3u

the home of grime (literally)

or search for artist like JME, Skepta, Footsie, Ruff Squad in last FM

Last edited by a moderator:
Grime is kind of seen as "the hot sound from a few years ago," at least in minneapolis. I personally like some of the beats but think a lot of the mcs are corny. I do like dizzee.

On a semi-related note, there are decent dubstep scenes in scattered cities in the states; a friend of mine was just in London and reported that the dubstep scene over there seemed to be on the way out. So what's the word on that from across the pond?

some grime isnt bad, but it will not (most likely) go over very well here in the states, for the most part, i like grime

hadouken r tight... knida new rave style grime... weird ish spose just another self genre styling band tryin to create a new sound

the reason grime and uk hip hop dont take off is because the cats who make the music are not focused enough.

dizzee made power moves, kano did, the streets did , lethal b did, roll deep did too.

power moves in the sense that they had cross over potential.

the rest of the scene doesnt have a commercial enough tune to hit the charts. lady sovereign went the other way and diluted her soun d so much that she lost credibilty.

the energy behind the music is a double ended sword. its raw, thats why some people like it. its too raw for other people to grasp it.

also they need to learn to mix their tracks!

I've been listening to grime and UK hip hop for a couple years. I don't really know many artists, but I like what I hear on internet radio.

Back