Waves Plugins Only On Vocals

reemdog23

If you where to mix your vocals with only waves plugins...which waves plugins would you use and what settings would you apply to them...?

Q4 or REQ 4 for EQing. For the settings, it all depends on the song; i usually add a bit around 4k-6k, and cut where it sounds muddy.

You can also try trueverb and use the new york plate preset, that would add some good depth to the vocals. Again it all depends on the song.

If you have to ask then why do you have them. Waves are far too expensive when you don't have a clue. Also there is no such thing as presets when it comes to vocal eq and dynamics control. It all depends. Don't waste your time with waves when you can just use any high quality plug-in and actually learn how to use it yourself. Especially when there are plugs that sound way better.

Morning_star why did you ditch the mastering competition?

Also, waves have by far the best plugins i've ever used.

I really like the C4 plugin with the "Pop Vocal" preset, its a very good starting point for pop and even rap vocals. I recommend starting off with the RVOX for compression, its super easy, just mess with the sliders until you realize what you're doing.

I could mix better than like 90% the "engineers" in here who use Waves plug ins using my stock plugs from SONAR. The other 10% actually bought their bundle because thart's what they prefer.

You give away how much knowlege you lack by convincing yourself Waves makes the best plug ins and that they're somehow a nessesary part of the mixing process based on nothing but retail price. So when you see the accessability, you're like a kid on christmas.:cheers:

Not that they aren't sufficient, but who the hell would mix only using Waves plug ins unless they love the sound from experience?

A plug in is a plug in. No one is "better" than another. Each applies to situations that present themselves. Every plug is like a puzzle piece, when it doesn't fit, it's worthless whether it was $16,000 a bundle or freeware.

Last edited:
Damn Deranged, It's to the point now that everytime I read your post I wonder more and more "who the heck is this guy?" Your well accomplished I see.

I also can mix pretty good and I learned from yr's of trial and error cause I'm the only guy I know (in person)who cares enuff to get it right in the sweet spot. I used to make re-writables and run back and forth to the car until I got good enuff to know what the cars gonna sound like and just worked on fixing my environment. Now I use my waves bundle as well as some freeware stuff but nothings gonna help your mix like good'ole fashioned trained ears. I can't imagine mixing something that's recorded too loud or too low as well (at times). If you have a goal then research the reason for a certain plugin and try it. If it helps then you got a weapon in your arsenal if not, when it's time for it it will reveal it's purpose.

make sure your mixing with headroom(levels below the red and barely in the yellow, safely -6db from what FP's taught me) and your master is at 0db ALWAYS. After that you got a good chance of making it atleast sound balanced. Then you can start with positioning your sounds in the mix...panning and depth are a good start. Somethings need to be upfront(main melody,drums,snare,E&J), some things need to be panned to make room for the sounds to breath. Compression and effectz can come in at this point for now you'll be able to hear them for what there worth alil better before making more adjustments to your present place in the mixing process. Roll off high ends on low end sounds and low ends off high end sounds. Filter samples if needed and if your in FL try not to use that good'ole "Sound Goodizer" until you atleast got a nice balance. After you've done what you think is what you want to have (ie, reverb on snare, compression on drums, plates on vocalz etc.) you can push your limits. I use Cubases Puncher to give my drums a better chance of pushing thru the mix without distortion or bleeding into other sounds. Remember tho that loud isn't strong, thats what compression is for. If your levels are way up then ur taking away room for final steps to be more effective so keep it in a good range and watch your master to make sure its left and right bars are moving comfortably. If there moving in unisine then your creating a brick house and it's already over processed regardless if it's below -3db or whateva. Ask yourself at this point..."does this sound clean?". If no, then undo until it's not a brick anymore. If your answer is yes then it's time to push it up and out as a whole by using something like the L3 multi or ultramaximizer. I like to use the "high res cd" preset and make my adjustments from there. I slide that left bar down until I see that right bar almost at the top. If it's already push'n the top when you open it up then your mix is too loud and your not leaving room for improvement. If it's off balance with a huge lean to the left/right then your stereo mix is not right but thats another thread. That shouldn't be though if your monitoring your levels as you go but it can happen if your using things like the C_SuperStereo in the wrong way. As for now you should atleast be hearing a huge improvement in you track and your master should have risen up considerably yet comfortably. Now is a good time to export/bounce your track out so you can take a look at the wavform. If it looks like a unpeeking porkupine (typo I'm sure) then you might be ok. listen to it on another source before going any further and decide on any adjustments you might want/need and make them. After that you can grab the BEAST like the iZotope Ozone 4 and pick a perset your interested in. I like the CD Master cause it's basic and I can adjust up instead of adjusting down first. I maximize the harmonics and give the dynamics a boost to bring out the little things that make music inspiring and work from there always watching my master and looking at the levels inside the plugins i use to ensure a good none-peeking mix. ***note*** If it's clipping/cutting inside a plugin it's too loud. Everything you use should be working comfortably and not peeking regardless of what your master is telling you. At this point you should be able to hear and have a good control of the sound of your mix regardless if you use all or just afew of the things i mentioned here. Find your way around you DAW and be aware of what to look for and the things you do will change the sound of the mix but not F it up. Good Luck man and hope you found something useful here.

As for the know-it-alls... I gave an example of a recent mix on a beat i just finished tonight for a mixtape Craftmanz Ent's doing with Dynas (BBE recording artist) and thought I'd share. If you find alot of gaps in info (as I'm also aware of) then help dude out but by disecting my contribution your not only looking like a problem sniffer which only proves your bytcha$$ness but also your proving that your a non contributor but a great critique like your lil sister when you fart next to her while she's eating. example... (fart) "You stupid jerk...that's why mom wont let you use the car cause your a phuck up and a jerk!!!"...Sound familiar? Don't lie either.

oh, btw...yes i knew it was for vocalz the op was talking about someones gonna use that post just the same.

I'm down. I got down in the mastering comp, what happened with that?

You wanna talk mixing...I tell you what. I'll use nothing but my stock plugs in Sonar against whatever y'all bring.

STOCK digi EQ sounds better then any Waves eq I have PURCHASED, but other then that the eq is followed by ren comp and ren reverb. And any one who knows what they r doing with plug ins from a certain select software program that is stock can beat out someone who don't know **** who is using waves, its not the tools but the craftsman.

Oh, about the waves plugs, I bootlegged a bundle before (friend got em for me) I wanted to see what they were about, I honestly didn't like many of them. The reverbs were good, and so were the EQ's. A couple others. But that's it. I would never buy their bundles. Just a couple individuals. Then I started gettin hickups on my PC, I scanned the file they came in. Virus. I deleted the whole. Thank you McAfee. lol

Back