Upgrading my set up, Mixer Help!!

robbyrob305

when I first got into recording I followed the Entry level Mixer Based PCI Soundcard System setup. 5 years later my behringer mixer is giving out on me and needs to be replaced. this made me start thinking. Do i even really need a mixer? I basically make electronic music. I have 2 monitors, headphones, and occasionally I connect a mic for some vocals. This is all my musical needs right here. I might use a keyboard every now and then but most of these connect via USB anyways. I like the faders and stuff of the mixer but for my use is it a overkill?

Ive been looking at alot of these audio interface which is just connect via usb like Komplete Audio from Native Instuments or the MBox, or even the Focusrite Scarlett. How are the latency on these VS the audiophile 2496 I have now? I assume the pci card will have less latency but how much more would a USB interface have? I noticed for example the Komplete audio has the same specs as the 2496. Just want some advice guys.

You don't need a mixer, but if you want faders to control your software mixer, you can always look at control surfaces made for this exact situation. As for USB audio interfaces, the latencies vary a bit - you're right that a PCI interface will have lower latency (usually), but most USB interfaces get to perfectly adequate numbers (and in the case of some higher-end units, just a few ms).

thanks krushing this is what I was wondering. Yea I get like 6ms with the pci card now. just wanted to know if I could get something similar with the USB.

thanks man..

ps. song on your sig rocks my dude.. keep banging em out!!

thanks krushing this is what I was wondering. Yea I get like 6ms with the pci card now. just wanted to know if I could get something similar with the USB.

Well you can - I think I'm somewhere at 10ms combined latency with a FireWire interface (Focusrite Saffire 40); I know RME's interfaces can get to at least under 5ms, both USB and FireWire...so it's possible. Not exactly cheap, though...

ps. song on your sig rocks my dude.. keep banging em out!!

Thanks man! Will do.

Yeah... RME is the cream of the crop if you're focused on latency. If money is an issue, you can start looking at the older models, which should still be very very good.

They just dropped the UCX if you're looking for it new. Good price for a smaller version of their flapship UFX. That's next on my list. But you can even look at the Fireface 400 or 800. Actually.. at $750 bucks or so... the Babyface looks like it might be your best option.. price wise and performance wise. I hear the preamps are better than the fireface 400, and the latency is right where you want it to be.

If you have the money, I would highly recommend the Apogee Duet. It's studio quality sound for relatively cheap.

Back