Understanding Dynamic Processors (Compression)

Great Post Thanks alot!

Last edited by a moderator:
I strongly disagree here. I think that's extremely important. The very important theme of my post is that "shape" and "compression" are inseparable. You can in fact accomplish most of what a compressor does simply by technique, mic, mic positioning, and preamp choice.

The tendency is for people to throw compressors onto things like vocals without realizing that compression is already in essence happening. The reason a lot of the big mix guys are using so much compression is because they have extremely dense mixes going on - and so compression is needed outside of normal measures.

But if your production isn't supremely dense, compression may not be necessary at all - because it's all happened (or can happen) already on the way in.

Also, I have a similar post up on EQ here: Equalization: Hear Me Out

I've said this a good million times on this site, but never so well worded. :cheers:

Compression can be a tricky one to get the head round when first starting out. I would suggest getting used to how 1 compressor works very well, and then from there practicing to understand the sounds that you can acheive from different settings on the compressor.

G

great post dude, a lott of information in there, it definitely solidified some of the things i knew about music and that's always a plus!

you explained it better than most, thanks for the post! it was really helpfull in visualizing what is actually going on.

Its always great to read a post this informative that so many people can take even the smallest bit of new information from.

G

Back