TUTORIAL: Learning Scales & Chords

Nice straight forward explanation. Thx for that. I would add for anyone really trying to figure this out that it doesn't stick without practice. I fumbled my way through picking out chords and scales by ear for years before finally just committing to an hour a day of scale, chord, and basic theory work on the keys. Everything makes more sense when you hammer at it day after day with the theory as the foundation.

Nice straight forward explanation. Thx for that. I would add for anyone really trying to figure this out that it doesn't stick without practice. I fumbled my way through picking out chords and scales by ear for years before finally just committing to an hour a day of scale, chord, and basic theory work on the keys. Everything makes more sense when you hammer at it day after day with the theory as the foundation.

:cheers:

damn guilty j i have been a musician for some years now and have never seen it explained this way good stuff. now i just gotta hear how you apply this knowledge in your music i know your stuff knocks.

Good post. Basically, that chart is this:

[Won't let me post image: type circle of fifths in google or wikipedia]

The circle of fifths. I have been learning it for a few weeks. it is helping me a LOT!!

edited
Word, I was about to say that.
I would like to add to this:

To find a major chord in any key, chose the key you would like to find the chord for. For exampl, to keep it simple, we'll say a Cmajor chord. Find C on your keyboard and count four keys up. This should land you on E. From there, count up another three keys, which should land you on G. Now you have a C major Chord.

Major Chord: from any key 4 + 3

Minor Chord: from any key 3 + 4

The same rules apply for a minor chord, in any key count 3 keys not including the key you begin on, plus another four.

To find the inversion,

C = first inversion 3 + 5 from C.

second inversion 5 + 4 from C.

If you follow these steps you can find any chord, in any key, and the first and second inversion of that chord.
Nice, I didn't know of this trick.

This may have to do with the fact that I started on Guitar, then learned theory on piano, then translated it to guitar, et cetera, but I think this is a somewhat confusing way to explain this all to someone who doesn't know about it.

For me its all about memorizing intervals in a scale. For instance, minor is tonic, whole step, half step, whole, whole, half, whole, whole(octave). Major is Tonic, whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half(octave). Of course there are lots more but 75% of music in general is probably in major or minor. Possibly a higher percentage. Anyway, pick the tonic and just work your way up the scale to figure out whatever you need.

The twelve possible notes are:
A - A#/Bb - B - C - C#/Db - D - D#/Eb - E - F - F#/Gb - G - G#/Ab

Does that make any sense??? Maybe not to anyone here, I'm not sure.

Honestly though, a theory class is worth taking. They probably have a cheap one at your local community college.

-JagPaw
@t00l00

I took an intro to piano course @ my local community college and thsi shit right here can help out anyone new to the keys. GOOD LOOKIN!

Guilty J,

Thank you for your willingness to share what you've learned through your hard work and sheer determination.

-Jun

thank you so much 4 this... i couldnt wrap my head around all the scales and chords and iv been trying to learn even ready books nd this just simplified it so much! thank you we really appreciate this!

Back