Timbaland addresses the "Do It" controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pase said:
No thats not right. He doesn't have to prove timbo new it was his. He just has to prove it was his. If you use someone else work un purpose or by accident you have to pay. As simple as that. If you wanted to be technical about it now your supposed to have to clear ANYTHING you sample, even one shots

i read an interview with Electronica producer Mylo in the making of his album "Destroy Rock N Roll" and he said you dont have to get one shots cleared... at least not in the UK.
"Although it can be a notoriously thorny issue, MacInnes insists that sample clearance needn't be as problematic as it first might appear, citing the split-second snippet from Prince's 'Kiss' used in 'Guilty Of Love' as an example. "Even though that's clearly Prince, because it's just one hit — it's a snare and a grunt — it's got no intellectual copyright status of any kind because it's so primal. So even though it indisputably Prince, apparently we're OK, we don't have to clear it because it has no musical content."

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar05/articles/mylo.htm

TheAstrolabe said:
i read an interview with Electronica producer Mylo in the making of his album "Destroy Rock N Roll" and he said you dont have to get one shots cleared... at least not in the UK.
"Although it can be a notoriously thorny issue, MacInnes insists that sample clearance needn't be as problematic as it first might appear, citing the split-second snippet from Prince's 'Kiss' used in 'Guilty Of Love' as an example. "Even though that's clearly Prince, because it's just one hit — it's a snare and a grunt — it's got no intellectual copyright status of any kind because it's so primal. So even though it indisputably Prince, apparently we're OK, we don't have to clear it because it has no musical content."

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar05/articles/mylo.htm
iknow for a while you were "given" a certain amount of time but I seem to recall that in the past year or so they pased a law that said pretty much anything at all that was sampled had to be cleared. That included one shots because thee was the big brew haha about it

Timbo jacked the whole Finnish beat. It wasn't just the Tempest sample. He jacked the drum pattern and instrumentation. Timmy never heard of Finland WICKY WICKY WICKY!!!

vaboi said:
wtf... i just listened to 2 minutes of this, and he says something likw "People know my face, I don't know these dudes faces.. hell is wrong with you?" So from his point of view... he could come stop by FP, listen to some of our soundclicks, and sample, not steal unless of course he actually walked in our house and jacked an MPC or laptop, and not give us our due credit or payment because... who the f*** are we right? Damn, I was just talking about how i like timbaland the other day, but now respect has gone down on par with bush's rating. .... so it's okay to jack nameless faceless hardworkin producers if youre on top...

Exactly my point too. He handled the situation wrong.

I think Tim's been in the business long enough to know better than to just "steal" a track from someone without paying for clearance! I really don't think he knew.

As far as his arrogance; I think he deserves to brag more than anybody, he's been the laid back hit-maker for a little more than a decade now! Even though I'm not feeling his attitude, he's more fit to boast than...say....Kanye. :D

lol... Jesus come on are you people serious. He finds a random song however he found it and assumes hmmmmm this must be public domain? It would be different if he found a loop of something. This was a whole track. How many of you would seriously be dumb enough to use a full song you found and not think that song belonged to someone? This is Timbaland. He's been around long enough to understand simple logic like if you find a song it probably belongs to someone.

1. I'm not buying his whole "I didn't know" b.s.
2. It's insulting that he thinks his fans are dumb enough to buy that.
3. He got caught and is acting like a b*tch. Won't even acknowledge the originators of the stolen material. How the f*ck do you down talk someone that you stole a song from? He obviously liked their music enough to jack their sh*t.

Get some class and have some respect Timbo. Compensate and credit the people you sampled.

It's funny to me that people are even sticking up for him in this situation. Now you know damn well if some dude from FP was going around and taking full tracks from other FP members, laying down some drums and calling it his own he would be run off this board. I mean and then what if this dude was like nah I didn't steal your sh*t I sampled it. I found it so I'ma use it. I thought it was public domain. Oh and it gets better. This dude actually gets a placement with a major artist with that track and makes a large sum of money from it. Then when you claim your work he denies you comensation and credit and downtalks you for even trying to claim it. That motherf*cker would be stoned to death.

It's cool for Timbo to do it though because hey it's Timbo and hey he's got money and is the self-proclaimed best producer out there. Get the f*ck out of here. How can you defend his actions and attitude on this matter?

Last edited:
Know what, I've been thinking about this, you're right. That's like taking a Demo song from the Triton, Reason or FL and adding your own drums to it. Then putting it out as your own sh*t. LOL.

To all the people in this thread, thinking everybody is crying, 'cause timbo used a sample without clearance: THAT'S NOT THE POINT!

What the problem is, is timbo's REACTION to all this.
If he'd stood there and just said: "Well, we just didn't know, where the sample came from, and to be honest, didn't care much and prefered to take the risk. Now that we know, where the sample came from and that it's not public domain, i am sure we'll find a way to handle this. We'll contact the guy who made it and compensate."
.. all would be fine and no one would say a thing (some of course would surely be hatin, cause he actually took the whole damn song and not just a snippet, but that's not the point of THIS THREAD.)

Just wanted to make this clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Finnish guy and Timbaland are both in the wrong. If the Finnish guy thought the track was hot, he should have copyrighted his work. Finland has copyright law's just like any other jurisdiction. And Timbaland should step down from the arrogance pedestal and just be quiet. Everyone knows that Timbaland has talent, that he understands music and has this incredible ear. But we also know that he talks to highly of his talent and the only reason why he can do what he does is because the industry is willing to pay Timbaland for his ego. There is another Timbaland in the shadow's, same with the Neptunes, and every other producer. Timbaland did what Pharell was doing, I want to be in the videos and dance and look cool and $h*t. Where's Missy? I think he should have kept his mouth shut regarding the issue because he's going to be scrutinized by a lot of people about sampling or stealing. I'm sure he's going back and reading the royalty free disclaimers on the software loops that he uses.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Know what, I've been thinking about this, you're right. That's like taking a Demo song from the Triton, Reason or FL and adding your own drums to it. Then putting it out as your own sh*t. LOL.

Swizzy did it :P . With a Casio even LMAO.

Last edited:
FIXX said:
he should have copyrighted his work. Finland has copyright law's just like any other jurisdiction.

When he released the song at Assembly in 2000, his copyrights were proven. He doesn't need to make anything else to "copyright" the song to himself.

Just like when you upload your beat which you have composed (not counting sampled beats) into soundclick, the copyrights are YOURS. not someone's who happens to download and use it.

Last edited:
i am SO SICK and tired of people getting mad when they get sampled! Timbaland admitted that he sampled the song! why are people hating on him? yeah of course he should have given them credit but he admitted that he didn't know who sang the song originally. yeah of course he took the whole melody but there are tons of songs out there where people have sampled whole melodies and made rap hits off of them. Eminem basically took the whole melody of that Aerosmith song for the "sing for the moment" but nobody said anything about that because its a white guy sampling another white guy. people made a big whoop dee doo about when puff daddy sampled the police for that biggie dedication just because it was a famous rap song but if kanye west sample black soul music that white people don't know...then it's okay.

Mako said:
i am SO SICK and tired of people getting mad when they get sampled! Timbaland admitted that he sampled the song! why are people hating on him? yeah of course he should have given them credit but he admitted that he didn't know who sang the song originally. yeah of course he took the whole melody but there are tons of songs out there where people have sampled whole melodies and made rap hits off of them. Eminem basically took the whole melody of that Aerosmith song for the "sing for the moment" but nobody said anything about that because its a white guy sampling another white guy. people made a big whoop dee doo about when puff daddy sampled the police for that biggie dedication just because it was a famous rap song but if kanye west sample black soul music that white people don't know...then it's okay.

how did this become a race issue?
in answer to all your questions........read the thread.

Mako said:
Timbaland admitted that he sampled the song!

He forgot the part where you PAY the original artist either money or credits. You think Em didn't pay for that sampleclearance?

1005 said:
He forgot the part where you PAY the original artist either money or credits. You think Em didn't pay for that sampleclearance?

puff paid the police sample and they still gave him a hard time for it and you know it!

this isn't a race issue but it's a hip hop issue and it just seems that white people get all bent out of shape when a hip hop artist samples their music and that's exactly the case here. of course he should have paid for it, i'm not saying that but did that indian guy make a big hoop la when timbaland used that indian sample for indian flute. yall know i'm telling the truth.

I thought Timbaland took an 4 bar loop from the beginning and another 4 somewhere else's in the song. The original track is way longer than that. So 1005, does that technically mean Timbaland didn't "steal" the whole track?

Mako said:
this isn't a race issue but it's a hip hop issue and it just seems that white people get all bent out of shape when a hip hop artist samples their music and that's exactly the case here. of course he should have paid for it, i'm not saying that but did that indian guy make a big hoop la when timbaland used that indian sample for indian flute. yall know i'm telling the truth.

That was then, this is now. Internet gives the opportunity to spread the word more easily. A person in this forum could actually even confirm that Timbo did not even do "indian flute" himself, another of his ghosts did.

Have ya'll forgotten "truth hurts" and the 40 million $ lawsuit on Dre (or Quik, how you wanna see it)? That was a "indian" thing, and it was hella lot bigger than this..truth hurts pretty much got kicked out the aftermath cos of that crap. **** like this happens, and i do think they should clear the samples and compensate the original artist when they get exposed for it.

Cameron Thomas said:
lol... Jesus come on are you people serious. He finds a random song however he found it and assumes hmmmmm this must be public domain? It would be different if he found a loop of something. This was a whole track. How many of you would seriously be dumb enough to use a full song you found and not think that song belonged to someone? This is Timbaland. He's been around long enough to understand simple logic like if you find a song it probably belongs to someone.

1. I'm not buying his whole "I didn't know" b.s.
2. It's insulting that he thinks his fans are dumb enough to buy that.
3. He got caught and is acting like a b*tch. Won't even acknowledge the originators of the stolen material. How the f*ck do you down talk someone that you stole a song from? He obviously liked their music enough to jack their sh*t.

Get some class and have some respect Timbo. Compensate and credit the people you sampled.

It's funny to me that people are even sticking up for him in this situation. Now you know damn well if some dude from FP was going around and taking full tracks from other FP members, laying down some drums and calling it his own he would be run off this board. I mean and then what if this dude was like nah I didn't steal your sh*t I sampled it. I found it so I'ma use it. I thought it was public domain. Oh and it gets better. This dude actually gets a placement with a major artist with that track and makes a large sum of money from it. Then when you claim your work he denies you comensation and credit and downtalks you for even trying to claim it. That motherf*cker would be stoned to death.

It's cool for Timbo to do it though because hey it's Timbo and hey he's got money and is the self-proclaimed best producer out there. Get the f*ck out of here. How can you defend his actions and attitude on this matter?

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back