the top 50 Rock geniuses of all time...

M

Mackie

here is what blender rates are the top 50 Rock geniuses of all times....note that some are involved in other genres like Rap and funk or electronica or whatever

50. Jack White - the white stripes
49. Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller
48. Polly Harvey
47.Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson - ABBA
46. Eddie Van Halen - VanHalen
45. Rick Rubin - Producer,Def Jam founder
44.Thom Yorke - Radiohead
43. Lee Perry - invented the remix
42. Missy Elliot and Timbaland - Rapper and Producer team
41. Andy Warhol - Pop art originator,The velvet underground
40. Chuck D - Public Enemy
39. Freddie Murcury - Queen
38. Dr.Dre - Hip-Hop producer,gangsta rap originator
37. Patti Smith - Female Punk rock singer
36. Brian Eno - Electronica pioneer
35. Earl Young - Invented the Disco drumbeat
34. Barry Gibb - The Bee Gees
33. Brian Wilson - The Beach Boys
32. Tupac Shakur - Genius rapper,Lyricist and general T.H.U.G
31. David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
30. Berry Gordy Jr. - Motown Records
29. Joni Mitchell -
28. Jimmy Page - Led Zepplin guitarist songwriter
27. Prince - AKA the Symbol
26. Phil Spector - wall of sound originator
25. Goerge Clinton - Freake dthe Funk Pioneer
24. Hank Williams - Country music genius
23. Lou Reed - velvet underground
22. Burt Bacharac - long songs(who cares)
21. Florian Scneider and Ralf Hutter - Electronca version of the Beatles
20. Little Richard - Superfreak
19. Neil Young - King of Grunge hippie rocker
18. Aretha Franklin - Queen of soul music
17. Grandmaster Flash - Grandmaster , cut faster
16. Pete Townshend - The Who guitarist songwriter power chord nutter
15. Paul Mcarteny - The Beatles....nuff said
14. Jimi Hendrix - No.1 Guitar God of all time,pure genius
13. Michael Jackson - Nuff Said
12. James Brown - The Godfather of soul
11. Elvis Presley - In the Beginning....
10. Madonna - Material girl
9. Miles Davis - Jazz-rock-funk-hip-hop
8. Kurt Cobain - Genius Grunge icon,Grunge Messiah
7. Stevie Wonder - Blind crusader for soul and brotherhood
6. Mick Jagger and Kieth Richards - The Rolling Stones
5. Bob Marley - Reggae icon,leader of men,pot smoker
4. Eminem - Rapper extrordinaire,genius lyricist
3. Chuck Berry - invented Rock and Roll and the duckwalk
2. John Lennon - Everyone knows.....
and finally number 1 Rock genius of all time is ....

!. Bob Dylan - Civil rights anthem writer who abandoned the cause, awsome lyric writer

im sure some people disagree with it....there are some entries i disagree with

I definitely agree on people like Brian Wilson, Burt Bacharach, Lee Perry, Phil Spector, Kraftwerk, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Miles Davis and Bob Dylan.

That bloke from the White Stripes? WTF??? If he's a genius, then so are the fleas on my mum's dead dog. Rehashed junk without any originality.

Eddie Van Halen???????? Give me a break. Who the f*ck put this list together?

When Eddie Van Halen created his style, everyone imitated, no one duplicated. Back in the 70s he would play with his back to the audience so no one could "borrow" his style. It may not be genius, but its still used today and will live to see tomorrow.

Yes, I won't neglect the fact that his style of guitar playing spawned a gazillion of copycats, but I seriously don't consider an amazing guitarist "more" genius than, say, people like Carole King or Elvis Costello (neither of whom were on this list) whose influence on music as a whole is far greater than that of EVH's.
If the opposite was the case, Randy Rhoads and Richie Blackmore and Yngwie Malmsteen would have a room full of Grammies by now.

Yes looking over that list, there seems to be a lot of household names in the rock and hip-hop fields strewn in with a few electronic gurus for good measure.

Singer songwriters probably have a greater influence than everybody. Especially if they are lyrically politcal like Elvis Costello and the Attractions.

i reckon its a pretty well balanced list...some rerally cool artists on it

It's all subjective.

The main one I disagree on is Thom Yorke. There are 4 other guys in that band who created that music, not just him.

I dont have a problem with Jack white being on there coz he's number 50...but i do think that Rick Rubin should be higher up on that list...:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah this list get no props from me. I agree that the guys from tool and tori amos should be there. and whats so genuis about the white stripes? come on he recorded hes album on equipment predating elvis, so hes a phucking genius? and Eminem is #4. and how is rick rubin at the bottom of that list next to ABBA? he helped create hip hop in a mainstream level. and dre is the genius for signing eminem. You can tell this list was just created with no thought all for entertainment purposes with absolutely no credability

Yeah, Rick Rubin has a billion ideas running through his beard. Not all of them good, but a lot are great.

1. Signing SOAD to his label
2. Brining Rap and Hip-Hop to white kids in suburbia
3. Showing the rest of the world what a bunch of dirty hippies the Black Crowes are

Sounds to me like the number pushers in accounting are trying to control music again...

My big gripe with the list is the sheer lack of punk musicians. I dont give a **** what anybody says, without people like Jello Biafra, Greg Griffen, H.R., Fat Mike, JOEY RAMONE, all these multi billion dollar bands like Blink and Sum 41 wouldnt be around, plus their was nothing like ever at the time. I mean ****, people traveled far and wide to watch bands like the ramones and the dead boys and new york dolls and...blondie at the C.B.G.B., and they influence music to this day. Without the do it yourself mentality of these bands, the no glitz, no glamor, just friggin music for musics sake attitude of these bands, the crappy 80's **** rock hair metal bands would have never left. I mean come on, where do you think Nirvana came from? Elivs Costello? Devo?

Also, The White Strips are a rip of The Hives, no 2 ways about it.

manji said:
Also, The White Strips are a rip of The Hives, no 2 ways about it.

Both bands are just rehashing old garage rock, and there are so many other acts doing it better. The Hives? New Bomb Turks with suits. It's a shame they're from my end of the galaxy. The White Stripes? Give me one good reason, besides them looking right for MTV and being inbreds in matching turtlenecks, why they're bigger than reasonably good Detroit bands like the Detroit Cobras or the Soledad Bros.

Its all about the mass market appeal my friend.

There is, or was rather, a great band here in Atlanta called Simple Sick Device. Equal parts Tool, System of a Down, and Foo Fighters (oddball time signatures, @ss-kicking, and great lyrics respectively). The main reason why they didn't get huge is because of their lack of desire to go by the politics of the record biz.

For any Atlanta people, their last show is coming up soon.

The fact that Eminem even placed is a joke. Gimme a break, this guy is an extended flash in the pan. He's Vanilla Ice without the modicum of talent.

In any list that is "of all time" any artist less than 10 years old should be discluded. Total "recency effect" bias towards that guy. Because he's been hot for a few years people think he's some kind of genius.

At best he's an idiot savant.

#1 its Blender. They have no cred anyway.

#2 recency effect is null. Besides, that term has a bare minimum of 25 years, so well over half of those would be exluded by your meaning.

#3 eminem may be considered a fad. But he is providing a service that was non-existent before 1997.

are you the same tech n9ne that got dropped from Interscope last year?

Back