The real future producer !

B

biggrome

Okay.... you come across somebody with NO GEAR AT ALL! and they don't have much money...

What is the cheapest you can get them a decent set up for?

I'm talking - controller, workstation, PC/MAC, monitors, soundcard, headphones, mic, etc

They want to be able to get the best results for the cheapest prices and they need an entire workable set up.

What would you recommend to this guy so it'll be one trip to the store and he'll never have to go back... (if you know prices, put them beside your suggestions - then list your final total price - who can be THE CHEAPEST!)

???

Last edited by a moderator:
the computer he owns right now.
No cost at all.
He can make quality music with it if he knows what he is doing.

You Gearophiles really think you're too much to handle

Last edited:
No cost at all.

Yeah right, lol.

I'm saying... he's wandering around in Guitar Center with Xmas money from relatives... can you get him a decent setup without him having to rob the place?

Yeah right, lol.

I'm saying... he's wandering around in Guitar Center with Xmas money from relatives... can you get him a decent setup without him having to rob the place?

Can I reach him through his cellular?

A copy of ableton and a USB MIDI keyboard?

What about monitors? and his PC soundcard will have hella latency if he uses LIVE... no headphones?

He needs the names of the makers of the products too - which controller and how much is it going to cost him...

PC $250

Example(but you have more options.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6470749&CatId=5139

Pro Tools Keystudio(Pro Tools and an M-Audio Keystation keyboard) - $99

FL Studio - $100-200

Hit a Pawnshop for a 100W+ Amp - under $100
Example http://www.pawnmart.com/?itemid=34359829635

And 8inch or bigger vintage speakers that would've sat in a big studio and retailed for around $300-1,000 10-20 years ago - now, under $200(as low as $25) example - http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Large-Sans...ectronics_R2&hash=item27b5e08f6a#ht_532wt_936

And you have an equivalent setup for well under $1,000 that most people invest $10k+ for.

Oh yeah, if you plan to record, don't forget the USB mic - under $100.

Last edited:
you can get a stock pc soundcard down to 256 samples latency with asio4all driver....shouldnt be a problem

Honestly depending on his budget I would probably tell him to grab a Triton LE for $400-$500 a pair of Rokit 5s and a lexicon alpha. Then download Reaper.

No cost at all.

You Gearophiles really think you're too much to handle

He still needs a keyboard controller. But, other than that, he should be ok, unless he wants to record vocals.

first off i would not go to guiter center to purchase the stuff... if the individual is purchasing a couple of hundred dollars of stuff i would buy from a online music store that is not in his/her state... save the tax money and apply that money to the gear...

discount license for reaper ==> $40
any m-audio, emu, etc controller ==> $99
sampletank "free" ===> you could hook him/her up with your sampletank "group by buy" samples... plus there are "tons" of free "vsti" out there
m-audio fast track (audio card) ===> $99
shure sm57/58 mic ===> $89
any budget power speakers (m-audio, rokit, etc) ===> $200
headphones akg k240 ===> $99

these online music store are very competitive. never play the listed price. usually you could get 10% to 15% off. shop around. i would purchase this stuff the day after x-mas instead of before x-mas. if the individual has money left over bank it for future purchase. also, i feel "all" producers/music makers should have a budget of saving a "few" dollars every month for future purchase too!!!

please note that you could get better gear but better is "subjective". if the individual is just starting out or this is their first gear they do not need better but a system to teach them what music production, gear and how it come together is all about...

He/She shouldn't get everything at once. Get the basics and start building from there. That's what I did.

Last edited:
i can hand on heart honestly say that the cheapest option that would give him a high end workstation would be an,

MPC1000 with jj os + a few gig of them (legal) free wav samples that are all over the net.

that is by far the cheapist option as it will cost a less then a decent midi controller + decent a daw thats kums with some great out the box effects n sounds.

n i hear people sayin he should use his pc hes got but most daws do not run well on an average pc, if his pc is a nakka (as most peoples are) he'll have to spend a lot on ram, soundcard n all that n still i'd probly bet money that the mpc would out live the PC.

The whole DAW+computer+midi controler thing is they expensive option, n i feel the main reason its so popular is because of cracked software which dramaticly reduces the cost of those types of set ups!

but kumon you can not give some1 a cracked program as an xmas present lol.

BY THE WAY B4 I GET LIKE A MILLION HATE REPLYS, IM NOT HAITIN ON DAWS, I USE LIVE AND REASON, I WAS JUST STAITING A FACT THATS ALL! an mpc is a much much cheaper option and would make a really nice present (a peice of hardware will always make a better present then a disk! cracked or not).

i can hand on heart honestly say that the cheapest option that would give him a high end workstation would be an,

MPC1000 with jj os + a few gig of them (legal) free wav samples that are all over the net.

that is by far the cheapist option as it will cost a less then a decent midi controller + decent a daw thats kums with some great out the box effects n sounds.

n i hear people sayin he should use his pc hes got but most daws do not run well on an average pc, if his pc is a nakka (as most peoples are) he'll have to spend a lot on ram, soundcard n all that n still i'd probly bet money that the mpc would out live the PC.

The whole DAW+computer+midi controler thing is they expensive option, n i feel the main reason its so popular is because of cracked software which dramaticly reduces the cost of those types of set ups!

but kumon you can not give some1 a cracked program as an xmas present lol.

BY THE WAY B4 I GET LIKE A MILLION HATE REPLYS, IM NOT HAITIN ON DAWS, I USE LIVE AND REASON, I WAS JUST STAITING A FACT THATS ALL! an mpc is a much much cheaper option and would make a really nice present (a peice of hardware will always make a better present then a disk! cracked or not).
in most cases he is going to be tracking that mpc to a computer with a audio interface anyway. I do agree with your other points in a lot of cases a mpc would be a lot cheaper than a bunch of vsts but most people these days don't sample so maybe a Triton LE may be the cheaper option

Honestly depending on his budget I would probably tell him to grab a Triton LE for $400-$500 a pair of Rokit 5s and a lexicon alpha. Then download Reaper.

In the Bay, you could swing a Triton Classic for $500 on CL. Also, really no need to download Reaper because most sound cards come with Cubase LE or something equilvalent

yeah i guess cubase le works if thats what u wanna rock most shit that i see these days coem wtih live light. live light is enough to piss me off

yeah i guess cubase le works if thats what u wanna rock most shit that i see these days coem wtih live light. live light is enough to piss me off

My soundcard came with Cubase LE, Sonar LE, and Live Lite. Cubase and Sonar LE are more than enough to work with unless you are going to be exceeding the 48 midi/64 audio limitations of Cubase LE. Live Lite was like 4 tracks and you can't even arm more than 1 bus at a time:mad:

If anything, Live Lite made me NOT want to upgrade to the full version. Live Lite is a little too stripped down, it is a turnoff.

Damn I'm lookin thru this thread... I kinda need some o this info...

An MPC 1000 costs... about $1000. I'm gonna say you can get far with a DAW like Fruity, and I been hearing great things about Reaper. I copped an Oxygen 25 for like $150. Dude will NEED sound output.

Either the monitors or at least headphones will set him back at least $300 (GOOD headphones) or $500-600 (GOOD monitors).

Does he have a computer to use?

zzounds dot com is decent as a website, they have everything.

Back