The Hip Hop Flame...

clarhck5 said:
there will never be a popular 60 year old rapper

I would think that something like that was said in the 60's about a rocker...

and now there's dude's who are 70 doing packed arena gig's all around the world.

_40717478_stones6_ap.jpg

Alltho hiphop as a music form is allmost 30 years old, it's still going babysteps. It has taken rock over 50 years to get to the level it has now, and it had basically blues behind it. Both started by young people, and first rejected by mainstream people. Hiphop audience is more critical than rock's, there's no one complaining that "Hey Mick Jagger should have done that second verse much better" or that "Yo that beat Lars Ulrich did on the Frantic wasn't a banger"

I can't say yea or nay to that comment, in terms of hiphop listeners being more critical than rock listeners because I don't know how much rockers are criticized. Hiphop I do agree, is rather young is taking baby steps and has probably had a harder road to climb in terms of public acceptance, but I am looking forward to a new era in not only hiphop, but in music in general.

I can't say yea or nay to that comment, in terms of hiphop listeners being more critical than rock listeners because I don't know how much rockers are criticized. Hiphop I do agree, is rather young is taking baby steps and has probably had a harder road to climb in terms of public acceptance, but I am looking forward to a new era in not only hiphop, but in music in general.

didn't Nas actually say he'd be rappin' even when we was waaaay older? coulda swore he did.

He says this in a Scratch Mag article. I don't know for sure about the flame dying though. My father turns 44 this year and he still listens and we talk and discuss a lot of what's goin' on with music. He thinks it's funny I favor some of the older stuff that he listens to like Maze and Cameo, but those songs are connected to childhood memories to me. He thinks the way some of the more reasonable cats here think: It'd be nice to have some balance.

You have to outgrow things in life. Hip hop is a youthful culture, I'm starting to outgrow it. I used to be about the freshesh pair of Jordans(hip hop culture), now I'm about trust funds for my kids. Used to be about chasing around women(hip hop), now I'm married. Used to be able to relate to the music(hip hop), now I don't as much.

When I go to the club what's wierd is, now I'm the coolest guy in the room. I used to try hard and wasn't, but now all I wanna do is sit in a corner drink a beer and hear what's new. I drop my son off at daycare, I gotta tuck all my jewelry that hangs down to my nuts so they don't think I'm a drug dealer. I lie to people and tell them I work a regular job, because saying you produce for guys that aren't on T.V. 24/7 makes you seem like a 27 year old dreamer. I get tired of day in day out of smoke filled studios, beefs on top of beefs, everyone carrying guns everywhere. I went straight from selling drugs to doing music, and can't find no line between the two.

Alot of you will say all this isn't what hip hop is about, but isn't it? Even Talib fans show up in the freshest jewelry and kicks, blunted with guns on their hip. I copped my 1st gun when I was 12. It was a rusty .22 with a cracked wooden handle. 1st pair of jordans and chain around the same time. It made me feel like a man. Why am I still involved in the same things to prove my place in life 15 years later?

Last edited:
hip hop is a young mans game. trust me a 60 year old rapper will never make it

I see it like this: Some of the forefathers of Hip-Hop are still around. They still do shows and appearances; they still get money. Two of the most famous examples of this are the Grandmasters Caz and Flash. There's also Melle Mel. He had a writer's spot in The Source not that long ago (Issue 205, Hip Hop 101 I think.)

Are they gettin' the same love as our modern artists? No, but not all of them qualify as "never makin' it." I doubt a 60-year-old newcomer will make it, but I'm certain if the vets are still around to be 60, there's still someone that's going to wanna hear them. Somebody's gonna relate. It might not be many, but it's somethin'.

The 60 year old rapper should have a following like the 60 year old RnB singer... if everything was right with the world.

The Ojays and Temptations don't have any current hits but people will clear off their schedule to go and hear them sing 30 year old songs.

Hip Hoppers are so fickle....

If they brought back the Fresh Fest... I'd be line to get a ticket and I'd take my son and all of his friends.

I get tired of hearing sh%^ like: Hip Hop is a lifestyle or "real" hip hop heads. This sh'#4 really is just music... If hip hop is a lifestyle, what does that life style consist of? Does it consist of things that will concern the average listener throughout his lifetime? I'm hoping that some other genre explodes like hip hop and punk did, and gives us all something to both love and hate. Hip Hop is lyrically and structurally limited. How far can it really go?

^^^^ Do you consider Goth a lifestyle?

... or just music.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I'll ever grow out of hip hop music. I have however grown out of garbage lyrics, ridiculous looking clothes, clubs, chasing women, etc. I grew out of most of that sh*t in my early 20's though. I don't listen to the hip hop that appeals to children. I listen to what appeals to adults. I look at mainstream artists today like who the f*ck are these kids going to look back to as classic artists? It's way different now than it was when I was a teenager. There were garbage artists but we also had people like Outkast, Wu, ATCQ, Etc. I can still listen to any Outkast album. Same with ATCQ. 36 chambers is still dope. The golden age had good and bad artists. It's the same thing today but the good artists were exposed a little more in the 90's. Hopefully sh*t will get back on track so people can be proud of hip hop as a whole.

Cameron Thomas said:
I don't think I'll ever grow out of hip hop music. I have however grown out of garbage lyrics, ridiculous looking clothes, clubs, chasing women, etc. I look at mainstream artists today like who the f*ck are these kids going to look back to as classic artists? It's the same thing today but the good artists were exposed a little more in the 90's. Hopefully sh*t will get back on track so people can be proud of hip hop as a whole.

Cameron great insight. Who will be like the rakim of the current era? Great point. I cant even think of one. I suppose there is more then one and there can never be classics like the originals but im confident the game is going to turn around somehow sometime its got too.

There's actually a lot of good stuff if you really search for it but their just not commercially exploitable....the record companies dont push that sex and flashy clothes sells records to teens and the youth....

At least that is the way the record companies see it. Mainstream phucks everything up though. Like when a good movie comes out 5 more follow it..until you want to puke....

same with all these cats asking "how do i get the storch sound.." immatators (sp?) instead of innovators

I have never seen an off-point post by Cameron Thomas.

We had our arguments but.... he knows more about Hip Hop then half of the NIGGAZ on FP ... lol.

I respect that moreso than skin...

ummm... when it comes to Hip Hop Music.

Those N word threads transcend anything Hip Hop, The N word was before those and will be after them.

Cameron Thomas said:
I don't think I'll ever grow out of hip hop music. I have however grown out of garbage lyrics, ridiculous looking clothes, clubs, chasing women, etc.

Cam is on point as always. This stuff isnt what Hip Hop is. This stuff is a result of Hip Hop. Hip Hop, REAL hip Hop, is much deeper that clothes, cars, clubs and hos. This deeper, REAL Hip Hop is the Hip Hop I will treasure and carry with me to my deathbed. **** the rest of that stuff. Material goods only can be carried so far. Its the spirit and soul of Hip Hop that never dies in you. Its about standing for something and repping what you stand for. Not bling and ice, cush and yay, ho's and caddy do's.

The Flame doesnt die. Not for the True.

biggrome said:
I have never seen an off-point post by Cameron Thomas.

We had our arguments but.... he knows more about Hip Hop then half of the NIGGAZ on FP ... lol.

I respect that moreso than skin...

ummm... when it comes to Hip Hop Music.

Those N word threads transcend anything Hip Hop, The N word was before those and will be after them.

It's just cause I'm a hip hop nerd and overanalyze sh*t to death...lol

Back