The Digging Advice Thread (great for beginner diggers)

While I dig, I always have whosampled.com up. Nothing worse than finding a dope sample and finding out it's been used. Better before than after making the beat though.

Interesting spin on the digging adventures thread. I am going to change the title to The Digging Advice thread and sticky it

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

My advice for beginner diggers is know what you like. The biggest problem I hear from new diggers is what should I start looking for? Nobody knows the answer to that question except for you. I like to dig for Soul, Jazz, Funk, Pop, Non Traditional Country, Classic Rock and sometimes Folk music. Anything with live playing in it really. Especially if it has great drums. You might not like those genres so don't worry too much about others suggestions.

excellent advice right here folks

While I dig, I always have whosampled.com up. Nothing worse than finding a dope sample and finding out it's been used. Better before than after making the beat though.

:hmmm: I used to think the same way, but then I got real with myself. No one is going to buy my beats (I dont sell them) so why do I care about sampling something else that someone else did. I now make the beat and then just check whosampled afterward to see who and how others used it. My crates are deep now so most of the stuff I usually find is not on there (plus I chop most of the time).

Pandora on your mobile phone is a great way to create stations and browse through selections real quick. They also take you to other related artists so before you know it your listening to all sorts of people you've never heard of before. Also, if your a travel buff, scoop up some music from other countries. You would be suprised how easy it is to have a buddie scoop up a couple hundred tracks, throw them on a USB, and copy it to your computer. Good Luck!

Great Thread!

My ways of sampling are typically:

Flea Markets - I just moved to RI and just last week I went to a flea market down the road. Guy had a bin of about 80 records most of which I had never seen nor heard of before for 50c each. I decided to buy them all and offered him $30 and he took it. I walked out with the whole box and there was 84 records in there.

Craigslist - You never know what you will find. Just bought a lot of 400 records (70's 80's funk etc) for $100. I won't do the obvious math on that. You get the picture. I know most are not looking for quantity but if you can't find $100 value in 400 random records then YOURE DOING IT WRONG! (insert youre doing it wrong pic here)

YouTube - Find good ways to randomly search for music, and then use YouTube's recommendations from there to dig deeper and deeper. Whoever says YouTube is not really digging is wrong. YouTube can be like digging on steroids, and can prove to be extremely time efficient, and very broad. Digital digging may take away the sense of touch but keep in mind when one sense is dormant the others (including your hearing) are heightened.

Satellite Radio - I am a SiriusXM subscriber and I love randomly flipping through the Eras, and Funk channels. When I find something I like I take a picture of my cars computer screen with my phone. If its on a mix or something and the title does not show then I use Shazam to determine the track.

Pandora - As I said... I recently moved to RI. From Canada! Unfortunately Pandora is forbidden in Canada. It wasnt at first but shortly after I got addicted they took it away from me (bastards). I frantically looked for a replacement and ended up with Last.FM which is not nearly as good. I literally opened Pandora within 5 minutes of moving into my new place. No joke. I discovered some of my favorite artists on that site (before they took it away :( )

Last edited:
Very interesting discussion. Myself I go to record stores out here in Chicago, but anywhere I travel, first thing Im looking up is record stores. Im mad when I was in Germany I didn't get a chance to go to any out there. But definitely dig wherever you are when travelling.

Yup i always look at the flea markets and garage sales. Foreign music is also crazy (Italian disco for example) but good in the right hands.

Diggin'

Personally
I like to look for certain Names and Groups,
I look for soul records
because i love the way the music speaks to me when Im sampling.
Also if i have no knowledge of the record but the cover looks really trippy then, I may cop it if looks interesting enough.
Maybe it's just me. But, i don't like to go into record shops AIMLESSLY. I would prefer to have in mind
an ideal type of record beforehand. I think that falls in with the aspect of my sound also. Second comes other genres of music,
after im satisfied with my selection of finds. I venture into other genres but i don't dabble too much or as much as i probably should but i do.
But overall "SOUL RECORDS" are the best in my opinion.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned goin to OP SHOPS! go to as many as you can, one weekend i spent $150 in op shops and came home with about 150 records and some tapes and so much bizzare stuff, Another peice of advice with op shops go out of the city to get cheaper records, that how i've found it here in Australia

Why hasn't anyone mentioned goin to OP SHOPS! go to as many as you can, one weekend i spent $150 in op shops and came home with about 150 records and some tapes and so much bizzare stuff, Another peice of advice with op shops go out of the city to get cheaper rcordhathow i've found it here in Australia
whats a OP shop

Don't limit yourself to one genre! do not under estimate Rock, Country, OSTs, gospel. Sometimes they come with advertisements of other records from the same label as well, check these out too.

Back