The Definition of Mastering

Headphones amd mastering. Help?

So as far as my setup goes, my room isnt "master proof". And im goin to start to eq mix and master on headphones. And i was wondering if Bose over ear headphones were any good for that use. They are not the noise cancelling/battery powered. And from what i can tell, they are pretty "flat". Which is good, however i wanted an answer preferably from someone who uses them for the same thing, and if not tell me what they use.

Cheers

So as far as my setup goes, my room isnt "master proof". And im goin to start to eq mix and master on headphones. And i was wondering if Bose over ear headphones were any good for that use. They are not the noise cancelling/battery powered. And from what i can tell, they are pretty "flat". Which is good, however i wanted an answer preferably from someone who uses them for the same thing, and if not tell me what they use.

Cheers

I would stay away from Bose for doing professional audio. They are consumer audio. Sony, Sennheiser, Audio Tecnica, Beyerdynamic, AKG are all brands that make professional studio quality flat headphones.

Last edited:

Cheers
I would stay away from Bose for doing professional audio. They are consumer audio. Sony, Sennheiser, Audio Tecnica, Beyerdynamic, AKG are all brands that make professional studio quality flat headphones.
+1 Sennheisers. I use them for mixing and its close enough to ideal down to about 150ish hz. Then it just kind of cuts down a bit.

But yeah I'd definitely stay away from Bose. I had my doubts about Sony but I tried their "Studio monitor" headphones and they aren't bad and quite cheap.

Headphones aren't terrible for mixing if you use a larger system to check the bass as well. Keep in mind the stereo image is pretty different as well so get used to how "commercial" tracks sound on your cans.

Whao!! grande information sur le sujet, je tiens à le regarder quand les gens ont besoin c'est plus comme un Guider ..
Keep it up les gars ...

i think there is a site that has all the frequency response graphs for most studio headphones.
check it before buying.

I feel you Weiss. Mastering is an entirely different element of a project. These fake producers who also say they master is not really what it is. I've seen a mastering studio and it's like a dungeon with 30 ft high ceilings. Dark, Ambiant, and wide open. Meant to create the same levels, eq, and dynamics consistantly throughout an album. Most mastering engineers have nothing to do with the production/composition of the tracks. Good post

can someone show me the difference between a mixed and mastered track and an unmixed and unmastered track?
I don't have any in my library.

An unmixed track can range from sounding like total and complete trash to simply sounding a bit busy, in a bad way. It all depends on how everything is tracked and recorded.
An unmastered and mixed track sounds fine. It will be balanced and everything will have it's own space in the soundscape. In today's industry it would sound perhaps a bit duller and of course quieter.
A mastered track sounds like the mixed track except it's usually brightened, the dynamic range is reduced (it's much louder usually), and any stray mix issues are sure to be fixed by either the mastering engineer or the quality control engineer.

On the sample level, things might be quite a bit different. Usually during the mixing and mastering process, everything is in 24 bit or higher resolution. Before the mastering job is finished, an engineer usually adds dither and shrinks the track resolution to 16 bit (in most cases).

Back