The Definition of Mastering

great advice,

I really learned a lot from this and has a long way to go,

May I just ask, Is there a set of standards for Audio engineers to follow in mastering?

dette var jo svære greier

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

iZotope Ozone

what is the best program for mastering?

The one you understand and know how to use. Mastering is also about Mastering ACROSS an album. -Making ALL the songs gel into a cohesive body of work. VERY difficult when the tracks are submitted from different sources.

Volume is the easy part. EQ curves are a different animal all together.
different studios, different gear, different recording techniques and combining all that into a uniform sound? Nuts.

Producer's Edge did a six(?) part series on mastering AND they had a special feature on Mastering from the AES (Audio Engineering Society) about preparing your mixes for mastering. I hate to keep inserting links to PE mag all over this forum, but it is an incredible resource for knowledge and information.

It's in Issue 02 With David Banner on the cover.
Issue 02 Producer's Edge David Banner Winter 2008

great advice,

I really learned a lot from this and has a long way to go,

May I just ask, Is there a set of standards for Audio engineers to follow in mastering?

Yes - and it is dependent on the target media. Vinyl reproductions have specific sets of standards, CDs have something called "Redbook" standards, digital reproduction seems to not have much in the way of standards.

Very helpful, this cleared up most of the confusion I had about the subject.

dette var jo svære greier

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

iZotope Ozone

iZotope for what it's worth is a processor designed for wide 2-buss work - but it's no different a program than any collection of eqs, compressors, and the like. It's not technically a "mastering" program - it's just advertised as such. Wavelab, Seqoia, and Pyramix are mastering programs as they can be used to embed track data and sequence albums.

Yo bro how much do you charge for mixing and mastering bulk projects. If at all. Let me know whats I can bring you in a ton of business.

Back