The Definition of Mastering

I currently have a beat made in fl studio with effects on individual tracks and on the master channel. The final project is a rap/hiphop song. What is the processes i should go about putting the parts of the song together. I'm getting the song professionally mastered. Should i remove the effects from the master channel and then export the beat as a WAV and then record vocals on top of the WAV

Thanks

Mixing and mastering is different. Mastering is just polishing up the track to make it bring out the proper sound.
Mastering always comes last after everything, after the mix and the layout. It usually involves a last touch of EQ, Compression and Limiting.
____

Music Producer / Graphic Designer / Self-Educator of Business / Entrepreneur / Blogger / Genealogist - Click for information at the website!
Rap Beats | Hip Hop Instrumentals | Music Production - D-Funkdafied Music | Hip Hop Beats, Blog and Downloads

Last edited:
You ain't never lied!!! I work with mostly HipHop and most engineers outside the genre usually just make it loud and that just makes the mistakes of mixing more apparent.

I currently have a beat made in fl studio with effects on individual tracks and on the master channel. The final project is a rap/hiphop song. What is the processes i should go about putting the parts of the song together. I'm getting the song professionally mastered. Should i remove the effects from the master channel and then export the beat as a WAV and then record vocals on top of the WAV

Thanks
Keep your effects!!! Just go moderate with the volume on reverbs and delays. Maybe not using compression on everything, I noticed you get more dynamic range on final wave. Mind you this is if your recording to the two track or the entire beat.

---------- Post added at 07:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

Lol...Most underground rappers have the loudest beats and cant hear the lyrics....o_O
Right? I think cats should invest in subs because what happens is (kinda common since) flat monitors in the wrong size room don't give off alot of bass.Well when we in there

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

Lol...Most underground rappers have the loudest beats and cant hear the lyrics....o_O
Right? I think cats should invest in subs because what happens is (kinda common since) flat monitors in the wrong size room don't give off alot of bass.Well when we in there we're turning the bass up too mu

Mastering, a form of audio post production, is the process of preparing and transferring recorded audio from a source containing the final mix to a data storage device (the master); the source from which all copies will be produced (via methods such as pressing, duplication or replication). Recently digital masters have become usual although analog masters, such as audio tapes, are still being used by the manufacturing industry, notably by a few engineers who have chosen to specialize in analog mastering.
Mastering requires critical listening, however, software tools exist to facilitate the process. Results still depend upon the accuracy of speaker monitors and the listening environment. Mastering engineers may also need to apply corrective equalization and dynamic enhancement in order to optimise sound translation on all playback systems.

That's It in a nut shell. Hehe.. :)

Really good post... I was pretty confused until i read this!

-Germerican Beat
Germerican's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

about to check out your youtube channel. Do you also have a soundcloud? If so how are you views on youtube compared to soundcloud? IM working on getting my sound out there and am trying to figure out where to invest most of my time, besides the actual music making of course

-Germerican Beat

Germerican's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world

I have a quick question. I just recently moved some audio files that contained sounds I used in the Nexus software for Logic Pro 8. Will I be able to mix the audio file I exported a long time ago? (the audio file that I exported was the song I made. I'm afraid that I won't be able to mix the recordings of my rapper on there and the beat itself at the same time. IDK what to do and I really don't want to go and look for the sounds, therefore replacing the whole entire beat I made, each individually.)

Back