Super Secret MIXING/MASTERING Info!

moses said:
dvyce, the text color is black on a black background! or is it just me?

If you read the sentence I just added at the top of that post, it will make more sense...

:)

Well Can I Hear Someones Music Before Mixing And After Mixing So I Can Kinda Hear What It'll Actually Improve On Plzzzzzz. Cuz Forreal, I Hear My Quality With Acid And It Sounds Aight To Me...

mixing makes a difference law. im no expert, but what i experienced from not mixing is that if you have two instruments that span the same freq range in your track and they are banging away at the same time; they will overlap and you will barely be able to distinguish between them. Pan one a little left and the other a little right you'll start to notice that you can make them out easier instead of having a mess of noise.

LAW_1988 said:
Well Can I Hear Someones Music Before Mixing And After Mixing So I Can Kinda Hear What It'll Actually Improve On Plzzzzzz. Cuz Forreal, I Hear My Quality With Acid And It Sounds Aight To Me...
If it wasn't mixed, you wouldn't hear it. Might be a bad mix, might be a rough mix, but there's not a particular "before and after" mixing. The quality is dependent on the engineer and the core sounds.

Hi,

Good mastering engineers have decades of experience and a lot of expensieve outboard-equippment. U can't beat them. The only chance u have to come a bit closer to a good result, when u do it on your own, is to use possibilities they don't have:
- time
- mix-corrections

Mixdown to a single Stereo-Track. Try everything u know like
mulitband compression, eqing, limiting.... Maybe make some variations. Then wait a day an listen to it again. You should be able to hear a lot of problems. Go back to mixing stage und repair them there. Then mixdown and master it again from scratch. Make it at least 3 times. This costs a lot of time but is very effective!

Greets from austria. JayT

thejay said:
in which order r plugins supposed 2 follow each other? e.g - e.q. then reverb then compressor etc? how does a producer decide which 2 do 1st?

from the biggest change to the smallest one.
Compressor
eq
reverb

TheKawZ said:
from the biggest change to the smallest one.
Compressor
eq
reverb
Define "biggest to smallest" - It'd be a pretty rare occasion that I'd have compression short of corrective EQ...

MASSIVE Mastering said:
Define "biggest to smallest" - It'd be a pretty rare occasion that I'd have compression short of corrective EQ...
assuming your kit is already tight.
thats when u do that...

remember that if you start with ish, you'll end up with more ish....

I use logic. and in logic, the plug ins work as in first plug in (in) goes whole then the next plug in affects aftter what the first plug in did.

For instance.

i put a compression...
then an eq... well the eq is going to effect my track after what the coppression is doing.

assuming your kit is already tight.
thats when u do that...
No, that's when *you* do that. Most people don't want to compress frequencies that will be altered later. Shaping EQ aside, of course. But that's the problem - It's not specified.

In any case, the order is dictated by what's there vs. what you want to be there. Routing is rarely "cut & dried" until the concept of the tracks vs. the mix is realized.

Is There Any Way 2 Get The Digi 002 Rack Presets 4 Proo Tools 4 Free Or Cheap

Re: Exactly

I'm beginning to understand that it's more about what your ears tell you and how it feels rather than what someone tells you. If it sounds good and feels good, Oh it's good!

Steve R

~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm a beast from the East peeps know me in the streets...

Last edited:
MASSIVE Mastering said:
No, that's when *you* do that. Most people don't want to compress frequencies that will be altered later. Shaping EQ aside, of course. But that's the problem - It's not specified.

In any case, the order is dictated by what's there vs. what you want to be there. Routing is rarely "cut & dried" until the concept of the tracks vs. the mix is realized.

Everybody has there own way of doing things. There is no correct way.

However... if you have vocals, or a live instrument.. the first thing your going to do is throw a compresser to even out the track. Making sure that the recorded volume is at a medium.

hope this helps.

TheKawZ said:
Everybody has there own way of doing things. There is no correct way.

However... if you have vocals, or a live instrument.. the first thing your going to do is throw a compresser to even out the track. Making sure that the recorded volume is at a medium.

hope this helps.

Actually, when experienced and knowledgeable people are mixing, the first thing they do is listen to the audio and determine what it needs. After they do that, they decide what, if any, processing to apply to the track.

If vocals needed to be "even out" I would much rather use volume automation, but thats just me.

Then again if people did things properly (including the vocalist) there would be even less of a need to "even out".

Last edited:
so0o0o dvyce i see ur also on the mailinglist for moderbeats...lol...but yea goodlookin out for the people whos not...lol...

DcTheProducer said:
so0o0o dvyce i see ur also on the mailinglist for moderbeats...lol...but yea goodlookin out for the people whos not...lol...

I am? what is "modernbeats"? the name sounds vaguely familiar... I am on a lot of mailing lists so I may very well be on that one (but I don't think I get any emails from modernbeats)

If I am on the mailing list, I really am not aware of it, though.

....Actually, I have no idea what you are implying...

Are you saying I posted something that sounds like something from a modernbeats mailing list?

Last edited:
Back