Strange distortion issue on PC/TV speakers with Omnisphere synths

GovernMental

Hi there,

I'm not a native English speaker, so please don't be too arsh with me if I make a few mistakes while writing.

I have been making a few tracks with Omnisphere 2 synths, mixing and mastering these till I had someting nice and crisp. When I listen to these tracks on my Focal monitors, wheter this is the rendered WAV file or directly in my DAW, it is just good and pure. I decided to check what it's like on my laptop and my TV speakers and discovered that some Omnisphere synths are giving a distorted sound from time to time, like if the TV/comp speakers couldn't handle it, like if there was too much transients for those speakers.

This is pretty shitty, isn't it ? When I'm listening to a professional track on my computer, such thing never happen. Are they doing something to avoid such distortion on "basic" speakers, do they know tricks that I am not aware of ? Maybe someone here will have a better piece of explanation than what I've come to think, which is that some Omnisphere synths are just too complex for TV or latptop speakers..

I don't think it comes from how I handle my production process : I use iZotope Ozone 5 equalizers throughout my whole production, then Dynamics (compression) for mix and finally Maximizer (as a brickwall limiter to straigthen things up at -6dB). No cliping on my instruments before I use Dynamics in my mix to clean the clipings that happen when the whole thing is playing, soft threshold for Maximizer in the end... Anyway, this distortion is happening the same way wheter I am using iZotope or only listening to a rendered file of said synths, without any audio processing.

I will probably have to just change the synths, but it could always be good to have some explanation.. :finger:

Thanks for reading this and hopefully someone will have more knowledge about this than me. I can link screenshots and audio files for those who want to see/listen to stuff in purpose of finding what's going on.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Back