Stop Giving Away FREE Beats...

I sold bout 900 beats with all Exclusive rights ($200 average each) due to FREE downloads, intro tag but all downloadable. Sure my beats got jacked alot, I got on average 10,000 downloads on about 20 beats per month in my prime on soundclick and my shit was all over and i still made a huge living off it. These days are diff but eh these days I work and this is my extra, but u know what its passion for me, its audience, its making tracks, its getting my beats in feature films like i recently did. Each to their own , but I think a whole lot of this gen has it completely wrong

The first beat I ever made is up for free download. I just don't get any views to make money off anything I make. An instrumental usually takes me little over a week or more to make. Takes me 5 days alone to get the melody for Christ's sake! It is very hard work and yeah, not all of your beats should be free to download. But, do you ever get the feeling that as soon as people see that you have to purchase a beat, no matter how good it is, they'll just look the other way? :hmmm:

i'm guilty of giving away a few free beats, until i didn't get the credit i asked in return, then i said fck that free shit lol

but giving away free beats isn't always a bad thing as mentioned earlier in this thread, especially when done with a good strategy.

Last edited:
Getting peoples Attention

If you are trying to get peoples attention, without a label in the background, you need to stand out from the masses. This is why i personally build FREE TRACKS. Check out my latest Track and build your own opinion!

Search for "Rideable Beatz" on Soundcloud

I agree with the context of the post, however keep in mind free beats are like free cookies. Once your hooked, you willing to pay. Think of as marketing $$$. Say you beat is worth $100 bucks, and you use your beat rather than $100 to promote. Feel me?

I really appreciate this post. I've never understood why people do the $1 leases. In my opinion, if you are going to give away a beat, at the very least do it through contact with an artist instead of posting "FREE "..." TYPE BEAT DOWNLOAD" on YouTube.

Its a craft that takes time to perfect. Hours and hours in the studio are not put in to give beats away for free. Appreciate the craft and pay the due amount

After a few more months of experience in the game, I somewhat better understand people's intentions when give away free beats. As an internet producer, it is extremely hard to make a name for yourself unless there are people rapping over your beats. You have to start from the ground up. I still think free beats completely oversaturate the beat market however.

Back