Sound Modules/Synths with SP-404

WidowsPeakBeats

What up all, first post.

I've been using my SP-404 sparingly over the last few months, mainly for effects in my Sony Acid environment. Nevertheless, I'd like to take this thing over and do things exclusively on it.

On the SP-404, I normally sample from my iPod or DiscMan and begin to resample. However, do any of you use a sound module or MIDI device for true sounds to be sampled directly into the SP?

JO

the 404 cant trigger external gear. So, you can use it like you would an MPC. All you can do is record sounds into it. The best way to do this is to setup an external metronome to play along with as you record into the 404 so what you play is on time. Also, you can record individual notes or chords and then preform them on the 404. You should check out sp-forums.com alot of cats there do what you are talkin about.

Thanks man. I didn't want to trigger sounds via MIDI, only "sample myself" through recording.

spforums.com doesn't move fast enough for me! I've been lurking on this site for a while, and I like the various topics, as well as the humor element. That aspect is truly lacking at the other forum.

But with regard to synths/sound modules, what type would you recommend? Before I migrated to the SP, I use an Axiom 25 MIDI controller with Sony Acid, FL Studio, and a few plugins for tracking and sample triggering through FL. I have even sampled my computer into the SP-404. But the purpose of my post is to see if folk even use a sound module with the 404, and if so, what kinds.

J.O.

i think you need better sampler if you are working w/samples lot...
sp404 n 303 are only good for efx, recording one-shot(drums) and (pre-sequenced loop) since those samplers are called "Phrase sampler"

since both unit provide little to non features that you will need to take full advantage of sampling production, like KB assign, 16 step filter/pitch/velo edit, indi filters for each samples, multisampling etc
if u got dedicated sequencer than u be good w/asr-x, since sequencing flop is the only hated/complained point of that box
if you like sp404 efx, you will be blown away by any asrs efx units...
get asr-x pro since scsi came standard...
also asr-10 is well known piece of hiphop history, sequencing is good, sound quality is top to none
has nice feels to keys...
efx is killer
also has audio trak fuction
low on cahs eps16 is baby asr...

Last edited by a moderator:
The SP-404 is a great sampler. All it really lacks is an old school pitch control. You can do most of the things you listed with editing tricks and re-sampling. Its limits force you to be more creative. I find it to be a very inspirational machine.

Last edited:
If you check out my Myspace page, "Pebbles was done exclusively on the SP-404...all it lacks is a bassline, my string section, and the french horn that someone's recording for me this weekend.

yea there r ways to get around...
but it's stressful
and i guess on low budget you cant beat sp303-404...

ha ha ha
by the way why is everyone with 303,404 saying limited capability of hardware opens up more creativity..?

i understand that is not entirely false but.. still i would work w/ better hardware, if i can get some...

maybe that's why malibe(known to use 303-505 etc) has 100 top banger trks

and

that's why malibs' beat cost 10time more than what dre,neptunes etc charges for beat right..?

incase u still don get it, i m being one sexy sarcastic biioch

anyways good luck
stick w/what u have

RanCIDmilk said:
yea there r ways to get around...
but it's stressful

oh no not another kiddie that wants machines to make music for him:(

RanCIDmilk said:
ha ha ha
by the way why is everyone with 303,404 saying limited capability of hardware opens up more creativity..?

i understand that is not entirely false but.. still i would work w/ better hardware, if i can get some...

The greatest music machines of all time were extremely limited. Think about the TB303/TR808/SH101/DX7/D50/Fairlight/MS20 (etc) units; together they've appeared on more hits than anything around these days....and each of them were really only good for a single task.That's why people made amazing music with them - they were focussed on what could be done and did not notice any limitations.

Today, nothing has the power or the flexibilty of a computer. Pro Tools is the industry standard (that's what dre and the others all use). Yet for some reason a computer is seen as inferior to hardware, even though hardware is quite obviously more limited in every respect. There's no logic in such a mindset whatsoever.

RanCIDmilk said:
maybe that's why malibe(known to use 303-505 etc) has 100 top banger trks

and

that's why malibs' beat cost 10time more than what dre,neptunes etc charges for beat right..?

incase u still don get it, i m being one sexy sarcastic biioch
I don't think too many would get that, and sarcasm is never sexy.:monkey:

VexaDJ said:
oh no not another kiddie that wants machines to make music for him:( :

boooo:(

VexaDJ said:
The greatest music machines of all time were extremely limited. .That's why people made amazing music with them - they were focussed on what could be done and did not notice any limitations.:

i never said it's not true, but why not take advatage of new TECH..?

VexaDJ said:
Today, nothing has the power or the flexibilty of a computer. Pro Tools is the industry standard (that's what dre and the others all use). Yet for some reason a computer is seen as inferior to hardware, even though hardware is quite obviously more limited in every respect. There's no logic in such a mindset whatsoever.:

i agreed but like i said above if you can afford it why not use it..?
by the way i m protools cerified but i feel confortable w/hardwares..

VexaDJ said:
I don't think too many would get that, and sarcasm is never sexy.:monkey:

i m still one sexy biooch:D

Back