Should I mix and master using computer speakers or headphones?

omarbibz

Hey guys,

I have a set of Pioneer HDJ-1000 headphones, I also have a set of Creative speakers for my computer. Which one should I use to mix and master? I find that I can hear the lows a lot better when using the speakers. While using the headphones the sound is sometimes too loud or distorted. However, I have heard from various people that if you have the option between headphones and regular computer speakers you should use headphones.

These are my speakers : Inspire T3130 2.1 Speaker System - Creative Labs (Asia)
These are my headphones : HDJ-1000 - Advanced Professional DJ Headphones | Pioneer Electronics USA

Just use both! It should sound good on each of them. Make comparisons. That's better than just focusing on one.

I usually do that, however when I mix using headphones some of the instruments sound way different than they do when I listen to them from regular speakers.

All speakers and phones have a different sound, but if it's so bad, that you're not able to work with, you have to get some money to the side for better equipment...

All speakers and phones have a different sound, but if it's so bad, that you're not able to work with, you have to get some money to the side for better equipment...

I don't think it has to do with the equipment being cheap. The HDJ 1000 are relatively high quality speakers. I think the problem has to do with the DAW itself.

Then you may should proof your whole chain. Borrow some other phones or speakers and check where the problem comes from. Is the sound distorted? Do you accidently listen in mono on some of them? There can be many influences.

I don't think it has to do with the equipment being cheap. The HDJ 1000 are relatively high quality speakers. I think the problem has to do with the DAW itself.

They're built for DJing, and that's probably what they're good at. Mixing requires a different set of attributes than being able to hear what you're playing in a loud club :) I googled around a bit, and lots of people seem to be complaining about the sound quality of these...so maybe not ideal for this purpose.

They're built for DJing, and that's probably what they're good at. Mixing requires a different set of attributes than being able to hear what you're playing in a loud club :) I googled around a bit, and lots of people seem to be complaining about the sound quality of these...so maybe not ideal for this purpose.

Ah well that explains it. Then ill just use regular headphones and mix using both the speakers and the headphones.

No matter what mixing speakers and headphones I ever have, I will probably always mix and master in at least four settings: mixing speakers, headphones, car, and church's sound system.

I mix in my room first, on speakers and headphones. Then, I take that mix to the car and take notes. I make changes and try again. I then go to my church (you could go anywhere with a live PA system) and I listen and make notes there too. All the while, comparing to other tracks (if I want to use a professional release as a guide).

The bottom line: once my mix/master sounds "good" on those four platforms, I am confident that I want to release it. I am most concerned with headphones and car though because thats where most people will be listening.

It works well for me. Probably not all necessary, but since I am mixing and mastering for clients a lot, it makes me feel good. Only God knows where they are going to listen to it first.

Hope that helps.

I wouldn't trust any of these monitors even for a basic mixing job. Mastering is simply out of reach for them.

Hey.

In all honesty, as long as you're using decent headphones (flat'ish but detailed, and a good representation of bass - overall the flatter the better though), then you should be fine to do so as long as you LEARN your headphones in and out. Reference a lot of stuff on them. Get an overall idea of how things sound on them, you can do that by just listening to a wide range of music, especially your favorites that you play often.

From you learn them, you will know their downfalls, and where and when you can compensate for them. It also helps when first starting out to reference the mixes you do on a lot of other systems just to make sure you're heading the right direction.

You should not.

Each to their own, whatever works best for them, nothings wrong or right - only standards that don't have to be followed. There's some pro mixers who have mixed a lot on headphones and get amazing results.

Last edited:
My teachers of the past always taught me, never mix and master in headphones. It all depends on what you plan to do with the music. If it is for you and friends then there should be no problem really with headphones, but if you plan to do anything serious with them that will reach cars, clubs, radio etc then you will need to use studio monitors. Computer speakers are of no use to you in that situation. Computer speakers for mixing and mastering is a bad idea, but overall depends on what you plan to do with the music really.

Last edited:
My teachers of the past always taught me, never mix and master in headphones. It all depends on what you plan to do with the music. If it is for you and friends then there should be no problem really with headphones, but if you plan to do anything serious with them that will reach cars, clubs, radio etc then you will need to use studio monitors. Computer speakers are of no use to you in that situation. Computer speakers for mixing and mastering is a bad idea, but overall depends on what you plan to do with the music really.

Alex Tumay, the guy that mixes Young Thug swears by Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones and does a lot of his mixes on them (assuming he also references it on studio monitors, which is a smart thing to do).

But if you know the sound of what you're using it should be cool. Not just that, using headphones would be pretty cool being able to mix say if you're on the plane or something.

I agree with you to some extent but I do feel times are changing and things are getting done in different ways now with great results.

Alex Tumay, the guy that mixes Young Thug swears by Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones and does a lot of his mixes on them (assuming he also references it on studio monitors, which is a smart thing to do).

But if you know the sound of what you're using it should be cool. Not just that, using headphones would be pretty cool being able to mix say if you're on the plane or something.

I agree with you to some extent but I do feel times are changing and things are getting done in different ways now with great results.

Deffinatly right, things are changing with technology, I would avoid computer speakers for Mixing And Master though for sure lol

Last edited:
Deffinatly right, things are changing with technology, I would avoid computer speakers for Mixing And Master though for sure lol

Yeah for sure, standard computer speakers wouldn't provide the level of detail & clarity, in my opinion! :-) I think with mastering (or maybe the very very last stages of mixing as a reference), monitors are better for sure - it's that last final check that everything is sounding good and that it will translate to other systems more accurately.

I use speakers to mix, then headphones to listen to it to make sure it sounds good on all platforms. I would really suggest buying some studio monitors with an interface, pro run you around 500-600$ total for a decent starting set. you need an interface to power the speakers/ monitors. I have a pair of yorkville speakers and they are fantastic.

Back