Shawty Redd Talkin' Down On Sample-Based Producers! (Controversial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATL Crunk Man

Since a lot of you people felt the need to make a big deal out of that irrelevant comment Shawty Redd made about Fruity Loops in 1 of his previous interviews (https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242132), I feel like it's only right for me to reciprocate the love by makin' a big deal out of dis. With that bein' said, let's get started.

Shawty Redd basically said, and I quote... "Samplin' is cool, but you can't call yourself a producer if you're samplin' all of the motha****in' time. If samplin' is producin', then I'm a motha****in' musician."

Here's the audio interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvepwKk3eS4

Sample-based producers, what are your thoughts on dis? Does he have a point, or is he just talkin' out his ass? I know a lot of members here likes controversy, so thank me later for makin' da thread.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm..........all those nice workstations he uses contain sampled sounds, and he plays those samples to make a melody much like a sample based producer plays chops.

From dictionary.com
sam·ple
3. a sound of short duration, as a musical tone or a drumbeat, digitally stored in a synthesizer for playback.

Triton, Motif, Fantom users= Samplers
Shawty Redd, <any other modern "scratch producer">=Sampler or as he puts it a producer
Eric Clapton, Donald Byrd, Louis Armstrong, <any person(s) who can actually play a working model of an instrument> = musician

Of course this is just going by TEXTBOOK DEFINITION, which can and is solidified by multiple sources.

-M (who loves to stir the pot of controversy and is eagerly waiting for the flaming to begin)

BlkGost said:
Hmmmmmm..........all those nice workstations he uses contain sampled sounds, and he plays those samples to make a melody much like a sample based producer plays chops.

From dictionary.com
sam·ple
3. a sound of short duration, as a musical tone or a drumbeat, digitally stored in a synthesizer for playback.

Triton, Motif, Fantom users= Samplers
Shawty Redd, <any other modern "scratch producer">=Sampler or as he puts it a producer
Eric Clapton, Donald Byrd, Louis Armstrong, <any person(s) who can actually play a working model of an instrument> = musician

Of course this is just going by TEXTBOOK DEFINITION, which can and is solidified by multiple sources.

-M (who loves to stir the pot of controversy and is eagerly waiting for the flaming to begin)
I feel like he's basically sayin' sampled-based producers are takin' da easy way out, therefore they're not real producers.

he really said hes a musician? what intruments can he play and play well? this man is ignorant. hes right on the sampling part but he is still wrong about being a musician

I Make Magma said:
he really said hes a musician? what intruments can he play and play well? this man is ignorant. hes right on the sampling part but he is still wrong about being a musician

He's just saying you should be able to do more then sample. And he plays piano.

pmpworldwide.com/coop

Last edited:
I Make Magma said:
Redd's a pianist/keyboardist. He actually plays his **** when composin' a beat.

I Make Magma said:
yeah but is he playing his piano and recording off of it or playing piano samples in a motif

catch my drift
He isn't referrin' to samples in synthesizers, he's talkin' about samples chopped from vinyls as a result of diggin' and rippin', etc... I'm pretty sure you know exactly what he's talkin' about, but you wanna make his references literal. C'mon now, MAGMA... Think logical. Don't catch feelings, my boy. It's a discussion board :D .

Last edited:
ATL Crunk Man said:
He isn't referrin' to samples in synthesizers, he's talkin' about samples chopped from vinyls as a result of diggin' and rippin', etc... I'm pretty sure you know exactly what he's talkin' about, but you wanna make his references literal. C'mon now, MAGMA... Think logical. Don't catch feelings, my boy. It's a discussion board :D .

He's Just Being A Dick. Whatever.

pmpworldwide.com/coop

lol im not being a dick and i understand what the man is saying

but regardless, can he compose a peice in a certain key with his so called piano skills

assuming he is nice at piano what licks can be produce with an electric guitar or even a bass

since hes so good with drums too i bet he wouldnt have to call travis. since he can probably drum close to the level of steve gadd

to me, if you arent capable of playing instruments at a high level of skill, you arent a musician

michael mcdonald, is a musician

stevie wonder, is a musician

kenny g, is a musician

rick james, is a musician

what is this man really doing to claim that he is a musician?

musician: One who plays a musical instrument or One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music

I Make Magma said:
lol im not being a dick and i understand what the man is saying

but regardless, can he compose a peice in a certain key with his so called piano skills

assuming he is nice at piano what licks can be produce with an electric guitar or even a bass

since hes so good with drums too i bet he wouldnt have to call travis. since he can probably drum close to the level of steve gadd

to me, if you arent capable of playing instruments at a high level of skill, you arent a musician

michael mcdonald, is a musician

stevie wonder, is a musician

kenny g, is a musician

rick james, is a musician

what is this man really doing to claim that he is a musician?

musician: One who plays a musical instrument or One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music

1. Yes he can play piano very well.

2. There is a difference between a Producer and Musician.

shawty redd seems arrogant as hell. which is fine, but imo, his body of work doesn't support his arrogant tendencies. he's a pretty good beat maker(the only reason i listen to him is becuz his ish BANGS in the car), but he's doin nothing to expand the sound of hip hop. all his beats are predictable and sound almost all the same (listen to "trap house" by gucci mane and "hypnotized" by jezzy- they basically the same beat!) its seems like every interview i read from dude is negative. last time it was about fl studio, this time about sampling. i remember reading an interview with him(i think it was him) and he was sayin how he doesn't like Jay-z anymore becuz Jay didn't remember him from a video set from like 10 years ago? wtf? he's JAY-Z, of course he's not gonna remember his b-list ass. does he really hold himself in that high of regard?!? dude just sounds like a dick imo.

dj society said:
shawty redd seems arrogant as hell. which is fine, but imo, his body of work doesn't support his arrogant tendencies. he's a pretty good beat maker(the only reason i listen to him is becuz his ish BANGS in the car), but he's doin nothing to expand the sound of hip hop. all his beats are predictable and sound almost all the same (listen to "trap house" by gucci mane and "hypnotized" by jezzy- they basically the same beat!) its seems like every interview i read from dude is negative. last time it was about fl studio, this time about sampling. i remember reading an interview with him(i think it was him) and he was sayin how he doesn't like Jay-z anymore becuz Jay didn't remember him from a video set from like 10 years ago? wtf? he's JAY-Z, of course he's not gonna remember his b-list ass. does he really hold himself in that high of regard?!? dude just sounds like a dick imo.
Bwahahahahahaha... Yeah, dat was Shawty Redd. You need to go hang yourself for sayin' "Hypnotize" and "Trap House" sound alike tho. Those 2 beats has absolutely nothin' in common, except that they were both produced by Shawty Redd.

Last edited:
dj society said:

Edit* this is about his opinion on sampling not about how much of an ******* you think he is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back