Sampling soul is no longer hot for the biggest stars?

kmano

I noticed that trap music really is overtaking.. and I notice that poppin off with soul beats like for example Kanye had back 10 years ago might not be possible. What do you think? I mean, in 2012, can you imagine next album of Jay-Z or Kanye that has a songs that totally samples typical soul? Just sample, drums + bass? Or it's just not gonna happen anymore? Cause I love of people have a lot for this type of beats and they have something special in them, but unfortunately Im afraid that typical soul beat is not that hot anymore as it was.. So that's why I think we should break boundries and sample not only soul but everything that sounds cool, it's maybe different and "new".

Don't hate, just discuss :)

Is Trap music the center piece for the biggest rap artist latest album projects?

Drake/Take Care - No
Jayz-Kayne/Watch The Throne - No
Eminem/Recovery - No
Nicki Minaj/Pink Friday - No
Wiz Khalifa/Rolling Papers - No
J Cole/Cole World - No
Rick Ross/Teflon Don - Yes & No (Trap n Soul)
B.O.B./Adventures of Bobby Ray - No

It's not that its not relevant in 2012, it's just another cost effective industry move. I.E. not having to give up % royalties and fees due to sample clearance

Last edited:
sampled tracks in general arent really gonna get you anywhere any more. the ammount of placement submissions that say "NO SAMPLED TRACKS" is astonishing

sampled tracks in general arent really gonna get you anywhere any more. the ammount of placement submissions that say "NO SAMPLED TRACKS" is astonishing
true. BUT...if you have a history of clearing your samps then it's completely different.

the people asking for "NO SAMPLED TRACKS" are people who have been given uncleared beats. it's saving thier ayss. just in case.

I noticed that trap music really is overtaking.. and I notice that poppin off with soul beats like for example Kanye had back 10 years ago might not be possible. What do you think? I mean, in 2012, can you imagine next album of Jay-Z or Kanye that has a songs that totally samples typical soul? Just sample, drums + bass? Or it's just not gonna happen anymore? Cause I love of people have a lot for this type of beats and they have something special in them, but unfortunately Im afraid that typical soul beat is not that hot anymore as it was.. So that's why I think we should break boundries and sample not only soul but everything that sounds cool, it's maybe different and "new".

Don't hate, just discuss :)

It depends on your peer group and your location in the world. Most people hear about new artist from their friends and family members. You determine what's hot or not by what you decide to make. There are plenty of hip hop artists like soul music in their beats.

Exactly that's my point. Sometimes I think that the only way to blow up is to have some trap music and a bunch of luck OR be a genius and be able to create music on the Kanye West level, which is impossible for us since we don't have a bunch of musicians and people to create that piece of art... I hope Im wrong : )

Last edited:
Exactly that's my point. Sometimes I think that the only way to blow up is to have some trap music and a bunch of luck OR be a genius and be able to create music on the Kanye West level, which is impossible for us since we don't have a bunch of musicians and people to create that piece of art... I hope Im wrong : )

The only way to blow up is to sign a 360 deal

Define "Blow Up", could you?
It doesn't mean the same thing to you for sure, I don't live in US, that's the first thing.. so my first goal and aim is to make it big in my country which is Poland. And again we all have different goals. I don't want to just make beats, I want to be an overall artist, I write my raps, Im learning the instruments.. so let's say I don't want to be only a beatmaker. So making it big for me means to be recognized, have a establish position and be a well payed artist. And when I make it big here, US is the next step, ha..

I beg to differ. It depends, I'd still say the game is 50/50 (sampled/non-sampled). You just can't be doin 2001/Roc-a-Fella type sample flippin much anymore.

I gather thats the point the OP was tryin to get across, cause there's no doubt new music using samples are still currently being made and probably always will, be they are not more on commercial level that they used to be

Last edited:
Ye true, samples are still being used though even on commercial, just not typical soul loops. Sampling is just changing you know, weird sounds, ambient, abstract shxt. It's all there. I love all beats though, sampled or not.

"TRENDS" / "SOUNDS" cycle every 1-3 years or so...

when the "trend" is done, it's DONE -

when the TREND you were making comes to a close you either:

A - keep doing it = appeal to a small niche (low likelihood of "growth" - low potential to take off)

B - break away and make your own sound, REGARDLESS of what the next TREND is going to be = appeal to a small niche (somewhat likely "growth" - with potential to take off)

or

C - IMMEDIATELY begin to mimick and "re-create" the "new" "TREND" = appeal to a large niche (likely "growth" - currently taking off)

$.02

Back