Sampling Rock?

b Asterisk Asterisk

Mister Nebula
Hey, I've just gotten into sampling and noticed how much people sample jazz, funk, things that I cant put a genre on, and drum breaks, but I barely ever see people sample thing like alternative or psychedelic rock. (Jimi Hendrix, Rush, Cage The Elephant) and I just wanted to know if theres a reason people dont do it as much, cuz I wanna try sampling some Jimi Hendrix. And if anyone can give me any tips that would be good

Some of the best samples are when you think outside the box. Kanye sampled a Greek psychedelic band for one of Jay-Z's records. Just go crazy, listen to all types of genres. I listen to all kinds of stations on Pandora, you never know where you will get inspiration or find a cool sample. Most people do sample records from the 70's, because that's when people experimented with all kinds of new genres from Soul to Disco to Punk and Psychdelic Rock, etc.

Hey, I've just gotten into sampling and noticed how much people sample jazz, funk, things that I cant put a genre on, and drum breaks, but I barely ever see people sample thing like alternative or psychedelic rock. (Jimi Hendrix, Rush, Cage The Elephant) and I just wanted to know if theres a reason people dont do it as much, cuz I wanna try sampling some Jimi Hendrix. And if anyone can give me any tips that would be good

Check this out.

Five Great Jimi Hendrix Samples in Hip-Hop Songs

Last edited:
Ever heard of Dilla??
sampled King Crimson

Geek Down : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70SwRaTFgHM
clearly sampled rock lol

Last edited:
Some of the best samples are when you think outside the box. Kanye sampled a Greek psychedelic band for one of Jay-Z's records.

Actually,as a greek I can say, a forgoten by God himself band that nobody really knew. I am sure that when the phone ringed to the people from the band telling them they are going to get paid because Kanye will use their sample, would be the biggest surprise of their lives!!

As for the OP, yes you can sample rock. I do many times. For example, this right here is based on a rock song.

Anything goes. Do what you want. **** the stereotypes.

People avoid rock as a genre to sample because there is a lot going on. Guitars, vocals, bass and drums, it's not as easy to find a decent 'clean' part (where there are no drums etc)

It's still possible, use intro's, breaks etc. Go nuts!

People avoid rock as a genre to sample because there is a lot going on. Guitars, vocals, bass and drums, it's not as easy to find a decent 'clean' part (where there are no drums etc)

It's still possible, use intro's, breaks etc. Go nuts!

This guy is the best I've heard including Just Blaze so far with the Rock Samples. It's really about your ear, creativity and your digging ability. The beat that starts at 4:14 is one hell of a find. The average digger aint gonna find shit like that on Rock vinyl.

Vanderslice With A Shirt On - YouTube

Last edited:
^^^ what deranged said. Just because you don't hear heavy guitar chords on hip hop tracks doesn't mean they're not sampling rock.

I've heard many rock samples throughout the years, Kanye is definitely the producer that comes to mind for this. I'll usually sample something regardless of the genre, as long as it sounds good to me

Back