sampling other producers drums...is it moral?

thread title

• yeah perfectly fine, they sampled theres the hypocrites

Votes: 89 59.3%
  • i disagree with somebody just sampling them dry, but i dont mind

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • this damn fence hurts

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • please there are so many drums out there why touch a producers?

Votes: 22 14.7%
  • biting is the worse thing you could ever do

Votes: 14 9.3%

• Total voters
I'm sure Timbaland has amassed his own drum collection over the years without sampling other hip hop producers. He's been at it in the mainstream for 15 years. And there are always limitations for everything. Just because he has 800 synths doesn't mean he's not limited to their own capabilities. Limits are great and force u to think outside of the box.

I'm sure Timbaland has amassed his own drum collection over the years without sampling other hip hop producers. He's been at it in the mainstream for 15 years. And there are always limitations for everything. Just because he has 800 synths doesn't mean he's not limited to their own capabilities. Limits are great and force u to think outside of the box.

I didn't speak to his drum collection being samples of other ppl's drums. dude makes music with hardware, software, and actual drums and household objects and records directly into the desk/software most of the time if not making them in a keyboard/sequencer.

i doubt he limits himself anywhere in the process of using these. he uses his large resources of gear/sounds and engineers to reach his sonic goals. defeats the limits of the gear itself

i dont think sampling samples or using other hip hop songs' drums is wrong at all. hip hop was founded on sampling and sampling other hip hop as long as its done creatively isn't bad. for example i made a beat and i wanted to use the drums from "poke her face" which sampled the drums from "let's ride" by q tip which sampled another break from "humpty dump" by the vibrettes. i chose to sample q tip instead of the original because it was cleaner and punchier. i view it as paying homage

Ill sample from anything esp for drums, last week I found sum stuff on drake's cd and a.t.c.q cd too... Hip-hop iz a rebel's music, we break all rules

There's nothing wrong with because that how hip-hop started anyway. Sampling drum breaks off of James Brown records.

depends on how u used them most of the time producers sample the same drum breaks any ways its just u have to manupilate them and layer them to make it your own!!!!

this damn fence hurts? hahaha. nah i feel its fine considering they most likely sampled drums from an old record, so its basically the same thing. do your thang

i don't justify what I do or dont do by what others are doing. If you are trying to go for that sound that you heard on another record for whatever reason why not go find the original song that was sampled. To me sampling a sample is biting

I'll take it a step further and say sampling anything you KNOW has already been used is byting. As a sample producer, it's inevitable. From time to time, you're gonna end up with something already used, but when you set out with the intensions to emulate, IMO(and just my opinion)that's byting. IMO using an already used sample(not talking a flip challenge on FP, I'm talking already made famous loop), or another drum machine/workstation based producer's drums is like finding the exact patches used for a composed from scratch beat and replaying it. Only acception is when an RnB artist turns a famous hip hop loop into an RnB song like Ashanti's "Foolish" or J'Lo's "Jenny From The Block".

Again, just my opinion. I also don't think sampling is stealing, and while I do sample, I won't download cracked software or illegal music. Everyones morals vary.

Last edited:
this sh*t reminds of whn Black Milk complained about producers jacking his drumz

then went on to sayitscoolto take from a drumer...say ?uestLove

His reasoning is that the producer sat down 4 hours crafting his sound

I say bullsh*t...drummer spend hours micing up their ish recording it...droppin it in time with theirswing (not a knob onFL or preset)

Then the ish has to be mixed and mastered (also look at dear god2as wellas window seat,those drumz werent all played on a drumkit...even the live performances have adude on a sampler)

Ina nutshell...this ish was bourne from biting, deal with it.

On a personalnote, i like samplin producer drumz, they sound lo-fi, but the thats my style...even when I cop ish like deadly drumz and Square drumz

i usually end up distoting nd lo-fi'ing ssum ish

Peace

Exactly...How can one complain about other people sampling "their" shit? Afterall, they sampled somebod else's shit as well...

Since everyone is leaving their 2 cents on the issue here is mine... Unless u are carving out a drum from wood, u haven't created something that wasn't created before... We all are using borrowed sounds...

I'll take it a step further and say sampling anything you KNOW has already been used is byting. As a sample producer, it's inevitable. From time to time, you're gonna end up with something already used, but when you set out with the intensions to emulate, IMO(and just my opinion)that's byting. IMO using an already used sample(not talking a flip challenge on FP, I'm talking already made famous loop), or another drum machine/workstation based producer's drums is like finding the exact patches used for a composed from scratch beat and replaying it. Only acception is when an RnB artist turns a famous hip hop loop into an RnB song like Ashanti's "Foolish" or J'Lo's "Jenny From The Block".

Again, just my opinion. I also don't think sampling is stealing, and while I do sample, I won't download cracked software or illegal music. Everyones morals vary.
Man its crazy how old that post was lol. I agree with most of it still though. Too many people are biting and are afraid to go get their own shit. At the same time these days I use a lot of drum kits lol. Still wouldn't sample a sample though

Since everyone is leaving their 2 cents on the issue here is mine... Unless u are carving out a drum from wood, u haven't created something that wasn't created before... We all are using borrowed sounds...
I can create drums on a synthesizer. For example an 808 kick is just a short sine wave. Hats and snares are just white noise treated a certain way to make them sound right. When it comes to sampling much of it is borrowed but not everything is.

Back