Sampling is Outdated???

For the love of money,yep most ppl on here just making beats,some are producers working with artists,equipment is not cheap. Now what I find is a good thing to do is to record a artist making two songs.The artist keeps I song for himself to do how ever he/she pleases. You barter you get to keep one song of your choice and put it on a mixtape to sell for $5,because you recorded the artist for free. You do this over and over with different artist tell you have about 12-17 songs or whatever. Then you slang those mixedCDs and use the money to buy equipment. Start off small orders then go on to larger orders!!!

Last edited:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
I've tried to stay out of these discussions, but I wish you guys would learn there's more ways to sampling than looping old records. The biggest "composers" in the game use samples to accent their sound. You guys are way too close minded, need more creativity.

I usually sample from random records and then morph them to my liking.
Loops are like a canvas for and right on.Creativity is key,"composers" who dis sampling would struggle trying to emulate the Bomb Squad or the Dust Brothers. The Beasties Boys's Shake the Rump actually contains more than 14 samples and that's for one song!!
Yeah,there's plenty to sampling than looping records!!

sampling is cool, but i only do it for fun. i got more respect for those who truely compose then those who sample. basically trying to make money off someone else but then gotta pay them. hell yeah i'm all about the money. if it don't make dollars it don't make sense. if you do sample i think it should accent the beat not dominat the beat. hell if you going to pay that much for a sample you might as well go straight to the artist to see if you can get the whole track.

you guys talk bout how hip-hop started.....got it started we are trying to evolve the genre. anybody can learn how to sample in a matter of minutes. it takes a while to learn how to play a real instrument...i'd get much more satisfaction out of knowing hey i made this from beginning to end.

also all you guys sampling and putting it on your pages trying to get hits you know since you put it out there you're open to legal action, simply because you're using it with out consent from the original artist.

People pay to clear samples the same way "real composers" pay their string section, their guitarists, their drummers and keyboardists. You guys make no sense because you don't truely understand the art of "sampling" or "composing".

Some musicians like Linkin Park use scratches(samples), MPC, Keyboards, and Live instruments. The point is, if you're really doing muisc, nomatter what you're doing, you're composing. A real musician doesn't just take a loop or a few notes off a keyboard and add a drum.

Your product's not finished until it sounds nice, full, and well arranged. You should use whatever it takes to give it that feeling. Whether that means playing an intricate bassline and drawn out piano outro on that beat you made with a sample. Or adding some scratches, guitar licks, or a dirty record effect to that all keyboard track to give it a vintage feel. No wonder you dumbasses are always ruining your dynamics with compression to give your songs "vintage and warm" feels. You could've just added some crickets chirping, a little white noise, or rain, but the fx on your keyboard are played, and you're too stubborn to sample.

Every track I've ever made I've made from beginning to end. I can play a little violin, guitar, and can outplay majority of FP on keys, but still use samples to make my "compositions" fuller. You can think that makes me less talented all you want, but in the end majority of FP's "composers" make casio sounding sh*t.

I got better chords, better transitions, better arrangements, better mixes, but since I throw in a scratch, or a breathy voice to accent my sh*t you think you're better? That's so cute.

Last edited:
Xabiton said:
... right now i prefer to make my own instruments with samples to get the sound of sampling but the ease of clearance.
Can you explain something to me - what do you mean by "the sound of sampling"? I'm kind of unclear. For instance, I played a piano part for something recently - real instrument, real musician - and one person's feedback was, can we make that part sound like it was sampled? Isn't this sort of backwards/ironic?

If sampling originated and continues mostly because it's an inexpensive way to make new music - as compared with using real musicians and instruments - why would people seek out that "sampled sound"? If the reason is that it's just become a desirable sound, I understand that. Just thought I'd ask - feel free to school me.. :D

PG

... I can ... outplay majority of FP on keys...

Oh yah? :D

PG

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^Nobody likes keyboardy songs. The neptunes made them big for a while, now storch, but what FP does is look at things thru the eyes of the producer. In the real world Timbaland/Kanye are famous. Storch is not. No one's heard of JR Rotem, but as producers you follow thier work.

You respect storch for his key playing, but in the real world, people talk about how nice kanye was on the keys on "Just to get by". As soon as fans come into play, they don't care how the music is made. They just want it to sound good. Nomatter what genre of music you talk about, keyboard is only 1 instrument amongst many live sounds when making music. Hip hop is a genre that allows 1 instrument production, but the thing is, since the beginning, the goal was to capture the sound of a full "real" song thru your keyboard/drum machine/sample, that's the art of hip hop that these idiots are overlooking.

Being that real instruments sound better than keyboard, you have 3 choices...learn to play keyboard so well it sounds real, add real live instruments to your songs, or sample. I do all of the above, but apparently since I sample, some idiot who just learned to quantize on their Fantom is better/more talented than me?

Last edited:
Unless you are playing analog instruments live, you're sampling.

Project Girl said:
Can you explain something to me - what do you mean by "the sound of sampling"? I'm kind of unclear. For instance, I played a piano part for something recently - real instrument, real musician - and one person's feedback was, can we make that part sound like it was sampled? Isn't this sort of backwards/ironic?

If sampling originated and continues mostly because it's an inexpensive way to make new music - as compared with using real musicians and instruments - why would people seek out that "sampled sound"? If the reason is that it's just become a desirable sound, I understand that. Just thought I'd ask - feel free to school me.. :D

PG

PG

I'm guessing that the sampled sound people are looking for has the grit that a cpu generated sound may not have. Digital sounds too perfect, while an anolog sound recorded with analog equipment, will have a different feel to it. (Due to natural compression of tape, or vinyl, along with the record freq range differences) (digital 20-20KHz, tape 40-11KHz)

Check the Avatar...

Now even I can say sampling will never die.

Truthfully, thats what I strive for; to make each record sound as if it was recorded by Isaac Hayes, Iron Butterfly or the like.

As if the great bands and multi-instrumentalists touched my tracks.

Many times I sample my own tracks. There's even another thread I have up now for FP to chop my ish.

Sampling isnt going anywhere, infact I'm wondering...

As opposed to worrying about huge sample clearances, should I put up more of my soul and orchestral tracks to be sampled? There seems to be a need for sample creation-recreation in the producer community.

I said majority. I know you're trained on piano. I won't be made a fool out of by you!!! :cheers:

lol... It ain't a competition sport anyway. Lord knows you have skills I don't.

:cheers:

PG

Lokness42 said:
sampling is cool, but i only do it for fun. i got more respect for those who truely compose then those who sample. basically trying to make money off someone else but then gotta pay them. hell yeah i'm all about the money. if it don't make dollars it don't make sense. if you do sample i think it should accent the beat not dominat the beat. hell if you going to pay that much for a sample you might as well go straight to the artist to see if you can get the whole track.

you guys talk bout how hip-hop started.....got it started we are trying to evolve the genre. anybody can learn how to sample in a matter of minutes. it takes a while to learn how to play a real instrument...i'd get much more satisfaction out of knowing hey i made this from beginning to end.

also all you guys sampling and putting it on your pages trying to get hits you know since you put it out there you're open to legal action, simply because you're using it with out consent from the original artist.
why stifle your creativity? real musicians know how to use everything they get to their advantage. If u r truely a composer (and not a simple keyboard player) buy a real violin and a real bass guitar and play that over a track. Why should i respect someone who is just playing string samples over a keyboard. Everyone can semi play keyboards and piano. It doesn't take a lot more talent than sampling unless ur just looping up someones work.

People pay to clear samples the same way "real composers" pay their string section, their guitarists, their drummers and keyboardists. You guys make no sense because you don't truely understand the art of "sampling" or "composing".

Some musicians like Linkin Park use scratches(samples), MPC, Keyboards, and Live instruments. The point is, if you're really doing muisc, nomatter what you're doing, you're composing. A real musician doesn't just take a loop or a few notes off a keyboard and add a drum.

Your product's not finished until it sounds nice, full, and well arranged. You should use whatever it takes to give it that feeling. Whether that means playing an intricate bassline and drawn out piano outro on that beat you made with a sample. Or adding some scratches, guitar licks, or a dirty record effect to that all keyboard track to give it a vintage feel. No wonder you dumbasses are always ruining your dynamics with compression to give your songs "vintage and warm" feels. You could've just added some crickets chirping, a little white noise, or rain, but the fx on your keyboard are played, and you're too stubborn to sample.

Every track I've ever made I've made from beginning to end. I can play a little violin, guitar, and can outplay majority of FP on keys, but still use samples to make my "compositions" fuller. You can think that makes me less talented all you want, but in the end majority of FP's "composers" make casio sounding sh*t.

I got better chords, better transitions, better arrangements, better mixes, but since I throw in a scratch, or a breathy voice to accent my sh*t you think you're better? That's so cute.
beyond that most fp composers arent that good at composing period but pride themselves in the fact that they compose. I play keys (im just ok at it Im not great nor do i claim to be) and i sample i also used to play drums that doesnt make my music any better than anyone elses in the end what sounds good is good consumers (the real people who matter in the end) dont care if its sampled if its composed if it was made in fl or on a mpc or on a triton or a motif or with hypersonic and cubase or sampled from vinyl or mp3 because in reality they dont know the difference and dont care to either they just want it to sound good people think overly hard on the techincal **** and not enough on just making it sound good

Last edited:
Project Girl said:

PG
i dont sample from real instruments but i do take my shots from vinyl. sometimes just sampling your live parts can make a big difference. If u have a cassette recorder of any sort that allows for playback try using that. The idea behind the sampled sound is just getting something really lofi. I wouldn't call sampling inexpensive it is after the initial investment yes but to be a sampler in the long haul can get expensive depending on how into digging you are. One time I spent like $400 on records in one month without really thinking of it I can get a used piano for $150-$200. This example Im posting is exactly what I am speaking on. THe horn stab is a one shot from stevie wonders sir duke all i did was lay it across the keys and play it like a real trumpet add some distortion and reverb and i was in business. again sampling is a lot more than just taking a loop from other peoples music and calling it yours if I didn't tell you this was from the stevie wonder song u wouldn't have known

Last edited:
rando said:
I really don't like sampling that much cause if I make a hot sampled beat, I want all the money to come to me at then end of the day. You get that when ya compose.

Are you gettin money like that? No....So there really is not point

R.Jaye said:
As opposed to worrying about huge sample clearances, should I put up more of my soul and orchestral tracks to be sampled? There seems to be a need for sample creation-recreation in the producer community.
i personally dont care for many keyboard interpolations it just sounds fake to me. nothing like the sound of real instruments i guess.

Xabiton said:
i dont sample from real instruments but i do take my shots from vinyl. sometimes just sampling your live parts can make a big difference. If u have a cassette recorder of any sort that allows for playback try using that. The idea behind the sampled sound is just getting something really lofi. I wouldn't call sampling inexpensive it is after the initial investment yes but to be a sampler in the long haul can get expensive depending on how into digging you are. One time I spent like $400 on records in one month without really thinking of it I can get a used piano for $150-$200. This example Im posting is exactly what I am speaking on. THe horn stab is a one shot from stevie wonders sir duke all i did was lay it across the keys and play it like a real trumpet add some distortion and reverb and i was in business. again sampling is a lot more than just taking a loop from other peoples music and calling it yours if I didn't tell you this was from the stevie wonder song u wouldn't have known

That's pretty cool, your track. All that makes sense, and I totally feel sampling as just another set of paints, another medium to play around and be creative with and express yourself with. The only thing I still don't really understand is the desire for a "lo-fi" sound. ??

Cheers,
PG

rando said:
I remember once when I read a post of yours that made sense a long time ago.

I don't know - that post made sense. Seriously. That's why I love using samples, because right now I'm not making money producing tracks, because I feel I'm still in the apprentice phase. So I can sit here and use any sample that Jay-Z can afford :D . It's fun and I'm learning a lot from it.

Maybe you *are* making money selling your music, if so, then his post doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I'm just saying. :cool:

Cheers,

PG

Project Girl said:
That's pretty cool, your track. All that makes sense, and I totally feel sampling as just another set of paints, another medium to play around and be creative with and express yourself with. The only thing I still don't really understand is the desire for a "lo-fi" sound. ??

Cheers,
PG
thanks im glad someone likes was gonna throw it out after i was done playin with the horn the patch it isnt done yet something small i cant put my finger on is missing from what i had in mind. lofi is a fun sound i like it myself todays music is overly sterile imo the only reason i even use 24 bit audio is because the rest of the world is and it doesnt make sense for me to be the one of the few cats not using it

Sampling will never die! Why? Becuase it sounds good!

Lo-Fi has always been a staple of music production, ever since guitarists started to overdrive their amps in the 1940s. Listen to almost any hit record and you can hear the saturation, distortion, overdrive and bitcrushing happening.

The piano is one of the instruments that sounds best with a little overdive and crunch. If you wanted to make a piano part sound sampled, simply loop each bar of it, so that instead of being replayed the sound comes across as 'looped' i.e. - repetitive sounding. Samples tend to be 1, 2 or 4 bar loops - and they sound better for it. It's the repetitive nature of a sample that makes it pleasing to the ear....anyway, back to that piano; Apply dirt to your new loop sparingly (vinyl simulation works well for just a little overdrive) and of course a bit of compression.

Finally, chop just the TINIEST bit off the loop (like 1ms) to make it sound as if it was 'forced' into the track. Hey Presto - sampled piano!

Great sampling does not have to involve other people's music....not that there's anything wromg with that....it's just that a sampler is much more than a playback device for old records;)

Back