Sampling in Logic...Thumbs down

WhiteKidsLoveHipHop said:
Create a new EXS24 Instrument using the .Rex file.

ok I saved my chopped up sample in Recycle as a .mid file

then I opened logic and created a new EXS24 Instrument.......but im unsure of what to do now

Seany Mac said:
ok I saved my chopped up sample in Recycle as a .mid file

then I opened logic and created a new EXS24 Instrument.......but im unsure of what to do now
Okay, I'll break it down for you.

1. Open up your EXS24 Sampler window.
2. Next to the Current Instrument display LCD thing (The Light Steel colored sample load) is a button called "edit", click it.
3. The EXS24 Instrument editor should appear.
4. Go to "Instrument -> Recycle Convert -> Slice Loop and Add Samples to Current Instrument"
5. Voila, you created a new EXS24 Instrument.

[edit:] Don't save it as a midi file! Save it as a Rex file, the format is actually very well supported.

Last edited:
Override said:
Wait......................

You can autochop in Logic??????????????????????????????????????

Detecting silence in Logic is a form of "autochopping". It finds the silent spots in a piece of audio, deletes them leaving the "peaks" and for all intents and purposes, that's "chopped". Not the elegant purpose built kind of autochopping you might know from audio beasts like FL or Cubase, but it'll get the job done.

kidgorgeous said:
Man, this has got to be the gayest sh*t. I wish i would have bought Ableton. Anybody got any tips? I don't care how many Youtube tutorials I watch, my computer is not acting the same way than what's in the videos. For one, this tap tempo is extremely screwed up. I start tapping then the sequencer turns on and then starts moving in increments with no tempo changes. And don't even get me started on how many screens I have to go through to make this miracle happen. Why can't I tap along to the sample as it's playing and have the tempo adjust like any normal program?

Strip silence is garbage, so basically I go to autochop and then try to bring my chops in the EXS. First it tells me the file name is too long, and after about a million clicks for each chopped piece it finally dumps it in the sampler. Yippee. But now it won't play.

Love the sounds and the loops and whatnot but this has got to be the most ass-backwards program i've ever dealt with. And I know how to work FLStudio, Ableton, Reaper, Cubase, and Sonar. Smh

The Manual should be your best friend. Trust Me.

L. A. Stone said:
Detecting silence in Logic is a form of "autochopping". It finds the silent spots in a piece of audio, deletes them leaving the "peaks" and for all intents and purposes, that's "chopped". Not the elegant purpose built kind of autochopping you might know from audio beasts like FL or Cubase, but it'll get the job done.

oh, alright...lol

lol, dealing wit audio altogether is so retarded in logic...it isnt THAT bad tho as far as chopping up samples using the Sample Editor as opposed to the Arrange window (i.e. where shyt gets retarded & buggy)...its actually quite easy chopping up samples & loading em up in the EXS24

^^the easiest way I've found for me is to autochop the audio file on the track with the scissors and then drag into exs. Wouldn't have a problem with this if Logic had a decent tap tempo to calculate the bpm of outside samples.

WhiteKidsLoveHipHop said:
Okay, I'll break it down for you.

1. Open up your EXS24 Sampler window.
2. Next to the Current Instrument display LCD thing (The Light Steel colored sample load) is a button called "edit", click it.
3. The EXS24 Instrument editor should appear.
4. Go to "Instrument -> Recycle Convert -> Slice Loop and Add Samples to Current Instrument"
5. Voila, you created a new EXS24 Instrument.

[edit:] Don't save it as a midi file! Save it as a Rex file, the format is actually very well supported.

thanks that was alot of help

what do you usually set your bars to?

I was getting overlapped chops at low bars so I just set mine to 100 and it sounded fine

I do.ahaha people are funny,read a manual or something

cycloptic said:
(Metering/BPM Counter)

all the info is right there man......lol, its a plug in, follow the provided path, do some exploring and you might find things such as this.........lol

You mean on page 128 of the manual. Lol, I read the first half of the manual like 3 times allready. I guess there's so much information to digest, it kept passing me by. Figuring out this program is like trying to figure out a f*ckin Rubik's Cube.

Last edited:
i just picked up MusicTech Focus's LOGIC PRO edition.....hopefully that helps (especially at a price of $21).

It took me 3 different Barnes & Noble to get it...lol..

Personally i think sampling in logic is alright, you just have to tweak strip silence to hell, very time consuming, if i had recycle i would use that to chop my samples. Also when you go poop read the logic manual. Makes time go by faster and you will get important reading done. lol sorry

Back