Samples with drums Vs. Open samples

mideastNYC

Hey I just started posting here at FP and I have a question. What are peoples opinions on using instrument samples with drums already in them vs. searching for clean open instrument samples? I remember an old Dr. Dre interview from the NWA days where he was saying he would look through record for open music to sample and hear old funk music on the radio and find out the artist. But on the other hand there are producers like Daft Punk who have had great success using disco samples with the drums and all. Do you like to filter out the drums? Do you add drum hits over it to accentuate the drums? Always wondered about different producers personal methods. Thanks!

Mid East

Use whatever sounds good. If drums are already present, you have 2 choices. Leave them in tact as part of the loop, or find a way to cover them up/remove them with eq.

Yeah i like both of them. I use to be only about open samples because i felt i was already constricted by using samples instead of making my own samples or tracks. So having drums in the sample would make me feel even more constricted. But now if i hear a dope sample with a drum beat in it il take it and just work around it.

open samples are easier to use i would say, but i have used alot of samples with drums. I dont really mind the kick, the snare is a little more challenging i would say, but now when i cut up my samples, i slice right after the snare so when i got the slices on the keys the snare doesnt get in the way nearly as much.

Back