Rendering everything to stems( audio files)

erniuss

hey, if im not in right thread please move it, so okay.. i was looking at Dyro projects he has posted some images in his fb,instagram and etc.. and he boucing or rendering i dunno everything to wav example : RJbvKvI.png this one of his project pictures... so i was try to render everything also.. Screenshot_46.pngso yeah what i've got, im not sure if im doing it right but this takes lot of time.. lets say if u make an melody you render everything , and you hear that you miss one note or need change a bit,so you need rework again, or i need to render when im complytely finish on one thing and then just bounce it? and what about mixing or something? i need mixing/mastering in steams or how? Sorry for maybe dumb question.. ;/

Dont just render because Dyro does. Do it because you have a reason to.

Render because your CPU usage is getting high and you need to turn the midi into audio to save CPU. Or render when you need audio to make an effect. Or render when you're done if you want too. It really doesn't matter. Forget about what Dyros doing and actually learn and understand what rendering audio is and this will all be a lot more clear to you. If you need to go back and change a note then you hopefully didn't delete the original midi tracks that you rendered from. Usually you render once you know thats how its going to stay. But theres nothing stopping you from never rendering. When you bounce your project at the very end to an audio file you can listen to thats an automatic render right there so it does it anyway regardless of how your project looks. Inside your project you only need to render when theres a conscious reason that you know of, dont just do it for the hell of it, especially if you may need to change the notes.

You can mix midi or audio. But if you're creating stems from multiple midi tracks then youll bounce those midi tracks into an audio stem. Like all your guitar tracks into one audio guitar stem maybe. Like a mini mix for each stem them mixing each stem into a song mix. You can do it like that if you have a ton of tracks. Just google Sub Groups with mixing and there will be more on it. On the other hand you dont even need to make a stem I guess, you could create midi groups. Tons of options. Just learn your daw and general workflow and this will all be common sense. Dont try and emulate someones workflow who is already established whether its Dyro or another tutorial you might find..you need a foundation first and you will understand all this yourself.

Last edited:
rendering is as kodid notes, about reducing complexity or simply reducing overload/overhead

different schools of thought on why you should do this, with the most prevalent being about dealing with overloads in cpu usage.

Most folks who follow this path use a feature known as freezing rather than blindly rendering: freezing substitutes an audio track for your midi track but never erases the midi track and allows you to unfreeze and edit your midi data as needs.

Each time you re-freeze your tracks you are wanting it to render the midi to audio again if you have made changes

some folks then prefer that once the creative aspect of the project is complete, to render all tracks to audio and start a mix phase version of the project in a new project file for their daw - i.e. they break their projects into 3 phases

1) creative
2) mix
3) master

to remove the temptation to "fix" a creative issue during mixdown or a mix issue during mastering - i.e. they identify an issue and use the appropriate project file to edit and then render again - this may add more time to the project but apparently it allows individuals to work without confusing which phase of the project they are working within

you should choose the work-flow that works best for you, so you may or may not follow what other engineers say they do, choosing the process that works best for you instead

Last edited:
Render if someone is asking for the stems for an instrumental or render if you need to save cpu which can happen with some cpu expensive plugins.

Back