Records SSL Mixing Tested

LOL. Yeah, when Pro Tools starts being replaced by Record because suddenly, it doesn't sound "good" enough, then you can speak of winning. Until then, this is merely a distraction from making music.

LOL man I use PT with the MpC to do production and I use Record so there is no distraction. :bigeyes: PT being replaced by Record? Watch what you say you might just get it, that's what the cliche` says right? lol

I can't prove it. All I can say is that a lot of people certainly don't hear it. That doesn't sound like a "big" difference. It sounds like a difference that is too small to care about, if the difference is there at all. Anecdotal evidence doesn't support this huge difference. If I had a product that was so much better than Pro Tools in terms of sound, why in the world would I not stand on a mountain top and sing it's praises on high. LOL There are always plenty of people who say sequencer A sounds better than sequencer B. The voices noticeably missing from this proclamation are those of the very people who stand to gain most from it, the companies that make this stuff. They seem to be unaware of how much better their product sounds than everything else.

Record doesn't attempt to provide the kinds of tools that Logic does so maybe it has less reason for a crash. And of course, upgrading to any new version of Mac OS is a recipe for problems. Every version of Mac OS since the first OS X breaks plenty from the one before. Any time you upgrade you will have a certain number of plugins that will be incompatible as well as hardware that no longer works. Snow Leopard was no exception.

Don't say that too loud or you'll be arguing wars on both borders. LOL I'm sure there are plenty who will flat out refuse to believe that.

That really sounds like a huge difference, but again, anecdotal evidence doesn't support it. In order to blow a Pro Tools mix out of the water there must be some glaring problems with Pro Tools mixes. Or, Record would have to be a magical creation with faerie dust sprinkled on it. LOL. Seriously, if you say there's a difference, I'm actually inclined to believe you. I mean, your opinion has to carry more weight than mine. But reality just doesn't support the size of the difference. You say it may "blow Pro Tools mix out of the water". That sounds like a massive difference. I'm thinking it may be more like a match up between Carl Lewis and Husein Bolt. One guy is a skinny hair faster than the other...on some days.

Well there is one thing I strongly have to disagree with you. My opinion does certainly not carry more weight than yours :-) why should it?

What I am trying to say is , that with products like Record, Harrison Mixbus and others to follow (I am pretty sure Waves will present their fist API console or whatever shortly and if not somone else will... ) digital music production evolves into a new era with a new generation of DAWs, better sounding easier to handle and hopefully stable.

I personally also get the feeling from colloquies and fellow producers and engineers, that they are tired of chasing after the newest upgrades and plugins. This game is just destructive, exhausting and does no good to someones creativity.

I am pretty sure that companies have to respond with some drastically new approaches.

For what it's worth. I think that the buss compressor in Record alone is worth the money. Not to mention the time stretch algorithm which is also amazing.

I think this new approaches from props and Harrison are healthy and have my personal support.

Peace, over and out

Last edited:
The manual states, when talking about comping auditions, that they do NOT play back through the mixer and this affects the sound quality greatly.

Why would they put that in if the mixer doesn't really have any effect on the sound as some of you 'I've never seen or heard Record but I know everything about it" clowns think?

I record hardware, and the playback through the comping editor is indeed straigt audio - it's coloured (in a good way) through the mixer. If you can't hear the difference you shouldn't be producing at all.

Facepalm indeed.

The manual states, when talking about comping auditions, that they do NOT play back through the mixer and this affects the sound quality greatly.

Why would they put that in if the mixer doesn't really have any effect on the sound as some of you 'I've never seen or heard Record but I know everything about it" clowns think?

I record hardware, and the playback through the comping editor is indeed straigt audio - it's coloured (in a good way) through the mixer. If you can't hear the difference you shouldn't be producing at all.

Facepalm indeed.

What on earth are you talking about?

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/SNRZ0dCq284&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/SNRZ0dCq284&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

Last edited:
What on earth are you talking about?

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/SNRZ0dCq284&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/SNRZ0dCq284&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

he has no clue as to what he's talking about. lol.

he has no clue as to what he's talking about. lol.

LOL Because when I comp in Record I can hear it in the same quality as the main recording I did and it has to play in Record on a track or else YOU WON'T HEAR IT AT ALL! lol

Tried the Record demo and loved it.

Missus tried it too.

Then she purchased it for me for xmas!!!

This thing is fantastic, and it DOES have a different sound becuase everything goes through the mixer, as opposed to just playing back the audio 'straight' like other DAWs..

+2 Record lovers.

You got a wife that produces too? Wow...I could only wish. We could spend quality time making beats together...that would be the best union ever!

LOL man I use PT with the MpC to do production and I use Record so there is no distraction. :bigeyes: PT being replaced by Record? Watch what you say you might just get it, that's what the cliche` says right? lol

No, I'm not saying that Record is the distraction, I'm saying that worrying over which sequencer sounds better by a hair is a distraction from what really will make a difference in a good recording. Look at how crazy some people get with this stuff. That one kid said that anybody who can't hear the difference shouldn't be producing. LOL. He's probably not even making music. He's somewhere in a lab with a white coat doing null tests and reporting his findings to a scientific board.

No, I'm not saying that Record is the distraction, I'm saying that worrying over which sequencer sounds better by a hair is a distraction from what really will make a difference in a good recording. Look at how crazy some people get with this stuff. That one kid said that anybody who can't hear the difference shouldn't be producing. LOL. He's probably not even making music. He's somewhere in a lab with a white coat doing null tests and reporting his findings to a scientific board.

36_2_34.gif

Man you are crazy lol hahahah lmao he said somewhere with a white coat on in a lab lol

36_2_34.gif

You made a good point, I hear ya though, if it's just by a hair then it just aint that different. I feel you.

Last edited:
@Danoc - no f***ing way you are using the comping editor properly if you are hearing your playback though the mixer. Read the manual man ffs - I'm talking about comp auditons (you know, the little speaker button that lets you hear back parts of your separate takes..). Look up 'speaker tool' in the comping section of the help manual if you think I'm making this up. Damn, I thought you KNEW this software.:confused:

@LA bongs: I'm too busy making music to rack up thousands of posts on a forum, so you work it out. Get your hand off it.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Danoc - no f***ing way you are using the comping editor properly if you are hearing your playback though the mixer. Read the manual man ffs - I'm talking about comp auditons (you know, the little speaker button that lets you hear back parts of your separate takes..). Look up 'speaker tool' in the comping section of the help manual if you think I'm making this up. Damn, I thought you KNEW this software.:confused:

@LA bongs: I'm too busy making music to rack up thousands of posts on a forum, so you work it out. Get your hand off it.:mad:

I do know it, that's why I put up the video. Ummmmm when I listen to the comp, I don't hear it like that and I know the software. :confused: Manual? Hmmmm the program is to easy I don't need a manual bro when I got the videos.

Back