Question about mixing?

X

X9

Question about mixers

hey forum...
assume that i wanted to get into the DJ business for the sole purpose of scratching & mixing hip-hop, but then i got into trance and i now have decided that i want to mix trance/techno, however, i still want to scratch though, what kind of a mixer would you suggest for mixing trance & for scratching trance too...also i was looking at the Vestax PMC-170A for a more trance mixing mixer, or the Numark Pro-SM2 for a more scratching, but also for a more mixing approach the Vestax PMC-05Pro because it has more options than just the Numark...but once again...i do not know enough about mixing to know...so PLEASE HELP!?!?

I also wanted to not be required to stick with one genre of music...i want to be able to mix trance/techno as well as if i want to do a few hip-hop tracks i can (and don't forget about the dilema with me wanting to scratch also)
I know you guys are probably like "this guy is crazy asking a dumb question like that" or "why can't he just do something simple, why does he have to mix AND scratch trance/techno AND want to do hip-hop" SORRY GUYS!! but please bear with me...thanks for all your help

and yet another question...i know there is a PMC-170A mixer because i have seen it myself (a friend owns one) but i also hear about this PMC-17A mixer, are they the same one? or are they different? if they are different, what are there differences?

[Edited by X9 on 10-12-2000 at 04:10 PM]

Hmm. I haven't replied to this thread yet, because, you see. Your questions are hard to answer because you don't ask us about the tables, but only the mixers.

For one. The basic about scratching lies in the turntable / CD - player. This is where you do the actual scratching.

The mixers just provide you with some crossfaders that you can use to mix a scratch into another track.
You can also make direct scratching on a track on the "crowd-record". This will disrupt the tune, but when you've practised for a long, long while, you can make it sound like a piece of the action.

In any mixer you can mix trance, but some mixers are more suited for hip-hop than others.
Cause, you could use any kind of mixer to stand as a Dj, but for scratching purposes, you would want a "Dj-Mixer" which has an extra horizontal crossfader.

Check out http://www.turntablelab.com also check out http://www.asisphonics.com and read the review on the Hak(it's at the bottom of the main page in the pull-down menu). The Hak has all the features of the Rane and Vestax mixers and more, plus it's cheaper. So far noone has had any major problems with it.(It's been out for 4 months or so) Turntablelab sells pretty much scratch gear, but all of the mixers they sell would be suitable for mixing trance, jungle, house, etc.. The only site I've seen that sells the Hak is http://www.1200s.com but I havnt looked around much.

Hope that helped

hey guys thanks for the info but well...i hope you dont take this personally, but that didnt help much, but well, thats me, if you have any more info it would be more help though, thanks a lot,

Peace,

Back