producing deep house and tech house

smoothoperater

whats up everybody,,I've been dj'ing for 5 years and I've
been thinking about starting to make sum tracks.I want to produce deep house and tech house.Need to know about which equipment would be the best.I would like to bypass using a computer and get a sampler/sequencer and other tools.I have a fair amount of loot to spend.Any help would be great.
thanx and peace-smoothoperater

mmhh... ok you dont want ot use a computer, then you should get a workstation like the KORG TRITON or something similar.. its everything in one machine basically, plus its well made..

its a bit expensive though, but its worth every penny.

i could tell you to get a MIDI controller + a synthesizer + a software sequencer but since you dont want to use a computer, a workstation may be a good solution for you.

Also... if you are not much of a keyboard guy, you should get an AKAI MPC2000XL or a YAMAHA SU700. These machines are samplers+drumbox+sequencer+effects besically, but there is no keyboard (although you cna plug a midi controller)

how does all this sound?

by the way, WELCOME to onlineDJ.com, it's a great place :)

deep house and tech house

thanks ManoOne...I kinda had those ideas in my head but just wanted more info..I'll keep checking back.good sight,,,,rem: house music all night long!!!
thanx-smoothoperater

Try and get things with good filters on , retro analogue gear sometimes being the best. Never discount things , a friend the other day picked up this old wooden phillips synthesizer for £30 in a charity store. Doesn't sound much on its own , but put through a fuzz box stomp pedal , and overdubbed on recording with some FX it sounds stupendous ... all for £30 + guitar pedal.

Electrix ( I think ) make an external standalone filter. The sherman filterbank is another realy good external filter , as is the Mutator ( my favourite , quite good for deep mellow FX and it has a warm tone compared to the Sherman's harsher , but more adventerous filters.)

All of these have lots of knobs for real time control , and can be hooked up to midi as well.

virtual analogue synths

Ahoj

Maybe you can test a Nord rack/lead from Clavia, they are very nice =) ..but costs some money.

cya,

hmm

OOr maybe check out the Access Virus - i hear from the General they are rather good. I have a Nord2, pretty alright, should be cheaper second hand. Maybe the Nord3 is better.
A big thing - whatever you are going to sequence with, make sure it has a lot of "sequencing memory". 2000 note memory is nothing. Even twenty thousand note memory aint a lot, because one note tap is one note of memory, but one knob sweep from left to right is 127 notes of memory, then back again is another 127 notes of memory, do that ten times in one song and that is two and a half thousand notes of memory used to remember those big phat filter sweeps like in madonna's music song or something.
And make sure you can drop sequences onto a floppy or zip - and make sure it is easy not complicated.
Tell us where we can hear the results - i make a bity of tech house meself...

Get a KORG Karma. Its made for dance music and has the best arps ever. and it can generate phrases on teh fly, you ahve to try it to understand.

It looks like a Triton, but its a burgundyish color i guess.

j_sun2k said:
Get a KORG Karma. Its made for dance music and has the best arps ever. and it can generate phrases on teh fly, you ahve to try it to understand.

It looks like a Triton, but its a burgundyish color i guess.

well, hopefully he made a decision in the last 5+ years... haha....

peace.

damn.... now that I think about it... I cannot believe it's 2006 we're living in already. :(

For those genres, you need high quality kicks and basses. Is vital to have a versatile control over the percussions, and very twekeable synth sounds.

I produce something similar, but trance oriented.

the EMU command station has helped me a lot sequencing, they are very intuitive and excellent to control other synths and managing your tracks.

For deep, phat basses and great synth and noise sounds, I combine the percussions and sequences of two EMU command stations (XL7 and MP7)with a ROLAND JP8080 (excellent kicks and synths ) a KORG Electribe ER 1 (for blips and electro) a ROLAND JUNO106 (incredible basses)and a Yamaha SY99 FM synth. The four synths can be controlled and sequenced perfectly using both command stations at the same time. Killer live act setup.

Back