Probly the best sampling tip I've come across

mytch

Some of you guys might know this, but this is how I find alot of my samples:

Go to dubcc.com and look for the sample on a track you like. For example, let's say you find the sample for "Girl" by Paul Wall is "Oh Girl" by the Manhattans.

Now, you go to http://music.yahoo.com and search for "The Manhattans". You will see them listed as an artist. Now click the "Similar artists" link next to them. About 10-15 similar artists in their genre will come up.

Doing it this way, you'll come across groups/artists you've never heard of and next time you're digging/downloading samples, you're sure to find way more hot samples, possible heaps that haven't even been used before.

mytch said:
Some of you guys might know this, but this is how I find alot of my samples:

Go to dubcc.com and look for the sample on a track you like. For example, let's say you find the sample for "Girl" by Paul Wall is "Oh Girl" by the Manhattans.

Now, you go to http://music.yahoo.com and search for "The Manhattans". You will see them listed as an artist. Now click the "Similar artists" link next to them. About 10-15 similar artists in their genre will come up.

Doing it this way, you'll come across groups/artists you've never heard of and next time you're digging/downloading samples, you're sure to find way more hot samples, possible heaps that haven't even been used before.

Well, people will find jems this way, i did!

Or, you could just dig through the crates. That's called beat digging, hence the name of this forum.

yep dig thru the crates and will find even more "gems"

Nothing against I-Digging... cuz I've sampled a few songs that I had on MP3... but nothing like diggin in the crates..

For real. I've probably got Anthrax from all the funky dust I've breathed in from the crates. But I find a depressed immune system makes my beats that much harder.

i agree that diggin crates is cool as eff. but y'all have missed the point. they arent proposing that u go get all the mp3's you can, they are sayin you gain knowledge.say your lookin for dr.john on yahoo & get 10 other artists, nex time u go diggin crates u will see one of these similar artists( who you'd usually flick past) & buy it. so you ca combine them. its jus cool cus u have more of a chance of gettin what u want which is "gems." you fundametalists miss the point man, you wanna keep everything too pure!

Cats are always comparing real digging versus diggin on the net. I don't see why there's so much controversy. ****, do both! Get with the times. I know that there's plenty more "gems" out there on vinyl, but sometimes it's nice to just stay at the crib, watch tv, and just click away. Just don't expect to find anything that nobody else has. And as far as quality goes, only another producer would b-tch about bitrate. Just make some music. Sometimes it's nice to just convert to wav and not even worry about recording level from tables. (if u even have one).

J-Marr said:
Cats are always comparing real digging versus diggin on the net. I don't see why there's so much controversy. ****, do both! Get with the times. I know that there's plenty more "gems" out there on vinyl, but sometimes it's nice to just stay at the crib, watch tv, and just click away. Just don't expect to find anything that nobody else has. And as far as quality goes, only another producer would b-tch about bitrate. Just make some music. Sometimes it's nice to just convert to wav and not even worry about recording level from tables. (if u even have one).

u dont get the same feel/character from an mp3...that ****s factual

the truthe™ said:
i agree that diggin crates is cool as eff. but y'all have missed the point. they arent proposing that u go get all the mp3's you can, they are sayin you gain knowledge.say your lookin for dr.john on yahoo & get 10 other artists, nex time u go diggin crates u will see one of these similar artists( who you'd usually flick past) & buy it. so you ca combine them. its jus cool cus u have more of a chance of gettin what u want which is "gems." you fundametalists miss the point man, you wanna keep everything too pure!

seeing names of artists on the net wont halp u when ur d.i.t.c really...unless u got a store where they have every record

u cant beat the spontaneity of finding a hot sample on some mid 60s disco crap that you usually wouldnt touch with a barge pole

J-Marr said:
agreed

lol @ this debate of Idiggin vs hittin the crates. why not just do what works. I personally will sample anything from anywhere. including but no limited to cassette tapes, mp3s, vinyl, radio, and if i can get it right TV

triple post lol, anyway yea why do people care so much do your thing cus if it sounds hot the only people who will complain are the lame ass purist people who ain't ever gonna make it

Back