pre-listening to tracks with Ableton Live and M-Audio Fast Track Pro // Routing-issue

brokaaa

hey there and hello to the forum,

I do have a serious problem with configuring my Fast Track Pro (FTP) for using it as a DJ. I am using Ableton Live (latest version) on a win7 64bit system. The system was freshly installed on sunday and I did all the proper driver updates etc.

When recording or producing music in Ableton Live, the FTP works just fine. But I simply don't understand how I can pre-listen to a Track on my headphones (ONLY on my headphones of course) while playing another Track on my PA (ONLY on the PA, of course).

The amplifier of my PA is connected with the stereo outputs 1+2 in the backside of the FTP and I can play all the sounds in windows and/or ableton without problems (although there are some problems when I try to do that simultanously, but that is yet another matter, I think).

However, I can find NO way to pre-listen to tracks. I know I have to activate "Cue" in Ableton and make it deliver the sound of the track I want to pre-listen to channels 3+4. I have tried nearly every possible combination of settings in ableton and windows I could think of, but still it doesn't work. In most cases, it results in a horrible noise coming out of my FTP headphones output when I hit the "pre-listen" button on the frontside of the FTP. I simply can't find any setting which allows me to properly play track 1 separately (on different outputs, that is) from track 2 at the SAME time.

In windows, I have set the FTP Line 1+2 as my standard playback device (I also tried de-activating the onboard sound-chip, but that didn't change the outcome). The list of possible playback devices also contains the SPDIF but -which seems odd to me- NOT the stereo outputs 3+4 (in the record section, I have stereo inputs 1+2 AND 3+4, though). I have activated stereo outputs 1+2 AND 3+4 in ableton, though (as well as the corresponding mono outputs). Sampling rate in windows sound device manager is set to 44,1kHz at 24bit (same in ableton although there seems to be no section to define the bit depth....you have to define the bit depth when you export your audio to a file, I guess).

well...so here I am, trying to DJ with Ableton Live and the Fast Track Pro and I'm completely lost in the woods....but there has to be a way to make this work...or am I beeing mistaken here??! What is the "normal" way to do it? What do I have to set in the "Audio to" drop-menu on my tracks in Ableton and so on?

anyone who can help me out? Any tips appreciated!

thanks in advance

greets

brokaaa

---------- Post added 05-24-2012 at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-23-2012 at 06:39 PM ----------

any help higly appreciated!

Last edited:
Go to your preferences/click the Audio tab/on audio output device select your Fast Track Pro/click Output Config/make sure 1/2 (stereo) & 3/4 (stereo) are selected.

Now look at your Master section in session view. You see where it says Cue Out and Master Out? Make sure Master is set to 1/2 and Cue is set to 3/4.

Also, while you're in the Master section, look at the button above the headphone volume, it should be blue and say "Solo", if you click that it'll turn grey and say "Cue".

Once clicked and you make sure it says "Cue", look at the tracks you have playing. All of the Solo buttons have changed to buttons with headphones. Select the one you want to monitor through your headphones and it'll turn blue.

Done.

Back