Pitching samples?

HalfBlacko0000

Good Music
hey guys i got a question say i have a sample and i wanna pitch it up 4 cents should i pitch it before or after i chop it up?
i don't know if this is something i made up in my head or heard it somewhere but i was under the impression that if you pitch a whole song up over time it will lose its BPM is this true or a myth?

1) chop
2) Pitch

This is the eaziest way on my MPC .... But i realy dont think there is a diffirence .... If you pitch a whole song it will indeed lose it bpm over time especcialy with older music cuzz its been recorded most of the time live ...
Experiment with it, cut your samples different and force them to fit ! Sampling is one big puzzle

PEACE

Chop and then pitch it. If you pitch it first you of course change the BPM (it will increase it-btw). If it's a stab, it doesn't matter because BPM won't be a concern. If it's a longer chop (especially a loop) then BPM is more important.

It doesn't necessarily have to increase the bpm just because you pitch it up depending on the software you use to do so. Sometimes it's possible to do pitch shifting while still maintaining the bpm of the loop. If you do in fact pitch it up and the bpm increases I'd say the bpm would raise consistently throughout the track anyway so if you're only looking to sample from it, any order will do just fine.

It doesn't necessarily have to increase the bpm just because you pitch it up depending on the software you use to do so. Sometimes it's possible to do pitch shifting while still maintaining the bpm of the loop. If you do in fact pitch it up and the bpm increases I'd say the bpm would raise consistently throughout the track anyway so if you're only looking to sample from it, any order will do just fine.

This is true. For most cases it pitching the sample will alter the BPM (obviously it will be faster if it is pitched upwards, and slower if it is pitched downwards), but depending on what you are sampling BPM might not be a difference. One example is using a sample consisting of strings for instance. It all depends how it is chopped/sliced though.

Find out what works for you. There is no right or wrong method when sampling, as long as it works with what you're doing.

Back