pitched drum rolls in ableton live 9? (new user)

ego killer

i'm switching to ableton live 9 from fl studio 11 for sample-based work (sampling seems so much more intuitive in live) but would like to switch entirely if possible.

one of the first things that pops out is the greater difficulty in doing "trap" style drums, namely pitched snares, hats etc.

the first answer i've stumbled across is to throw the drum in simpler, if there's an easier/better way to do it i'd love to know though.

You won't find anything "simpler" then that. You can always try putting the simpler in the Drum Rack, with your other drums, and then maybe a "Pitch" Midi effect onto the simpler in the drum rack. Then just right click on the pitch knob, click show automation and draw a line for how you want the pitch to drop. If you want to keep the automation oriented to the clip, meaning if you were to press play on the clip, no matter what it will always descend/ascend at the same place in that clip every time, then you can automate the line by clicking on the E by the Note and Clip box. It's a bit different this way, in that it doesn't adjust the pitch knob directly.

General rule of thumb with Ableton: If you want to automate something, just click whatever you want to automate and go into arrangement view and draw it in or click on the "E" (If you are using clips instead) and it will be the parameter being automated in the envelope box.

Tutorial

I think this might be what your looking for. Takes like an hour maybe to get through three tutorials, or you can just download his Ableton Live Set and voila! You have a versatile and easy to use drum kit for trap beats. I can't post the link because I haven't posted enough times lol. Just search for "Dubspot atropolis trap drum" and it should be one of the first 3 links

Back