PC vs Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have grown to like it over time also. I have some rigs with touchscreens (that are very w8 friendly) and some without. It doesnt matter what OS you use, it matters who is using it.

Mac forever. They just don't slow down and become outdated as fast as Windows computers. I'm using an imac from 2009 and it still performs amazing with all the programs I use. Most Windows computers from 2009 are probably slow, virus infected and bound to crash.

Most Windows computers from 2009 are probably slow

You're right. So are Mac computers from 2009.

Lol.

I have a feeling that you're comparing a $500 (or less) PC to a $1000 (or more) Mac.

Those marketers have really got you sold. Perhaps you should go onto a forum where Mac users are trying to fix problems with their systems (Pops/glitches, Kernel Panic, software incompatibility, etc.) so that you can dispel the "Magic Mac" myth that is floating around in your head.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
I feel mine is OK. I mean, I'm sure it's not as fast as today's computers, but compared to a 09 Windowspc, day and night.

My $600 laptop from 2009 worked great for me all the way through my upgrade this year.

It had a Core 2 Duo P8600 (@ 2.4GHz) in it and 4GB of RAM (@ 1033MHz). 650GB Hard Drive, and an Expresscard port for PCI-Express speeds with my Echo IOx interface. Worked great.

The processor model and the amount/speed of RAM were identical to the ones in the high-end MBPs being sold at the time (for half the price!).

What's the spec. on your Mac?

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
4gb ram, 500 go HD. Recently upgraded to 10.7 and thought it would slow it down, but didt! I was surprised. I can run reason 7, Maschine and iTunes all at the same time with no issues. I'm not that computer savy, but I can't complain about my Mac. Even though I would like a new 27" :)

4gb ram, 500 go HD. Recently upgraded to 10.7 and thought it would slow it down, but didt! I was surprised. I can run reason 7, Maschine and iTunes all at the same time with no issues. I'm not that computer savy, but I can't complain about my Mac. Even though I would like a new 27" :)

So... which processor model?

You do realize that the processor is the main factor affecting performance, right? Lol.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Not exactly sure. I'll check on that and report back.

How can you gloat about how fast your Mac is and not even have a clue which processor is inside?

Lol...

To be fair to you, Apple does try to make it as difficult as possible to find your processor model, to avoid direct comparison against an equivalent PC.

I'd be willing to bet that it's a P8600 (or other P-series with a similar SKU) @ around 2.4GHz if it's a MacBook from 2009.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
once you go mac you never go back.

Mac forever. They just don't slow down and become outdated as fast as Windows computers. I'm using an imac from 2009 and it still performs amazing with all the programs I use. Most Windows computers from 2009 are probably slow, virus infected and bound to crash.

I started with an apple II in 1978

Then a sinclair Z80 in 1982

Then started using what was a pdp 11 clone in a shared run-time environment at uni in 1983

Commodore vic 20 1983-5

Then back to the apple II (C/G) in 1985-89

Original mac, no hard drive same time frame floppy drive swaps up the wazoo to do anything meaningful

A single pc contemptible clone in the same time frame

Commodore 64 1986-87

Atari st 1024 1986-88

Bought my own atari mega 2 in 1988 and still use it occasionally

Mac classic 1991 until now

several different models of mac through the early power pc years

various pc's including pentium 4's, core duos

g5 mac and imac bought 2nd hand in 2009

current main machine is a Dell GX620 pentium 4 ht with 3.gb ram and two 1tb hard drives dual boot 32 bit and 64 bit xp fully updated

at every point changes have been mandated by work requirements rather than religious beliefs

Cause I have friends with Windows pcs that I use occasionally and they just don't compare. And it's not an laptop, imac.

Yep. They're probably computer-dumb people with cheap PCs they purchased at Walmart.
From your perspective toward PC users, it sounds like your friends don't buy high-end computers and don't know how to keep their hands out of the piracy jar.

I know friends with modern Mac computers which cost just as much as mine but just don't compare. Simple as that.

-Ki
Salem Beats

One of the basic problems you have has nothing to do with your computer. It has more to do with the programs you are using. Most programs arent full 64 bit architecture. So even though you have 16gigs of ram those programs can only access a maximum of 4gb. Maschine 2.0 is multi core and will be able to access much more ram and use more plugins, The previous version was limited under its hood. If you want to use the same PC and its capabilities you need to update your programs to the 64 bit versions. PC vs Mac is personal taste. If you want a quick fix you should print all your ram heavy plugins.

If someone could, present the facts, unbiased; pros and cons to each os for music production performance in terms that we all understand here. Not gonna lie, ive searched the net and cant find anything that helps me lean towards one or the other. And with the FL beta for Mac im sure in the future there won't be a problem switching between Mac or Pc for Fl Users.

I would separate machines by two things

Cost - why does a mac still cost more than the comparable pc? Steve Jobs' original marketing model people will pay more for quality no longer applies as the distinctions in quality no longer apply: they use the same processors, they use the same basic OS configuration (both Mac OSX.n.n and Windows NT/XP//7/8 are variants on unix borrowing muxh from both unix and linux), they use the same basic I/O protocols and peripherals (mostly thanks to Apple's efforts in creating standards like Firwire and it's dumbed down cousin USB), etc

User configurable: which machine is easier to open up and change peripherals/ram/hdd/optical drives (CD/DVD/BluRay), add additional cooling systems, cards that provide extended functionality like additional drive connections, in machine audio cards,

Last edited:
While Mac and PC both have pros and cons the most important thing is understanding which pros and cons are applicable when configuring each system for music production.

For example while the uniformity of Apple's software and hardware is touted as a plus to the average consumer it can be somewhat negated once you start configuring the system with third party hardware and software for music production.

Same thing applies to form factor because while the average consumer might view a tower system as unnecessarily bulky a music producer might view the inside out expansion of Apple computers as not only unnecessarily messy but also technologically inferior to connecting peripherals directly to the motherboard without going through some middleman bullshit like USB, FireWire or ThunderBolt.

I know everyone says Mac vs PC is a mater of personal preference but that's total bullshit unless the only thing you are interested in is how fast the system boots or how many folders you can get to back flip across your screen by swiping your penis across the trackpad.....the reality is your computer preference has to match your software and hardware preferences, for example my preference towards Cubase overrides my preference for fiddling around with GUI bullshit, I couldn't care less what side I close Cubase from so long as it runs at it's best, same shit goes for my hardware.

Last edited:
If someone could, present the facts, unbiased; pros and cons to each os for music production performance in terms that we all understand here. Not gonna lie, ive searched the net and cant find anything that helps me lean towards one or the other. And with the FL beta for Mac im sure in the future there won't be a problem switching between Mac or Pc for Fl Users.

The FL Beta for Mac runs under a CrossOver wrapper -- it's an emulation layer which introduces a performance hit to low-latency audio. It's not a native Mac version, and IL has stated several times that there will never be a Mac version. You can, however, dual-boot Windows on a Mac.

Cost - why does a mac still cost more than the comparable pc? Steve Jobs' original marketing model people will pay more for quality no longer applies as the distinctions in quality no longer apply: they use the same processors, they use the same basic OS configuration (oth Mac OSX.n.n and Windows NT/XP//7/8 are variants on unix borrowing muxh from both unix and linux), they use the same basic I/O protocols and peripherals (mostly thanks to Apple's efforts in creating standards like Firwire and it's dumbed down cousin USB), etc

User configurable: which machine is easier to open up and change peripherals/ram/hdd/optical drives (CD/DVD/BluRay), add additional cooling systems, cards that provide extended functionality like additional drive connections, in machine audio cards,

Apple has this bad habit of trying to hide what's specifically inside their computers. Trying to figure out specific models of hardware prior to purchase is like pulling teeth, and their offerings often pale in comparison to the competition.

For example:
applestore.png
Which Core i5 processor is it? Well, you've got to look it up on Google.
Apple won't tell you.
Why?

It's because they're packing a processor which scores only 3,500 points on Passmark into a $1,200 laptop (LINK).
Similarly, whose solid state drives are they offering, and which models?! SSD performance varies drastically, but the Mac-faithful incorrectly assume that Apple always provides the cream-of-the-crop.

CyberPower (and just about any PC brand, actually) proudly displays the brand and model of each of their units. You want G. Skill RAM? You can get it. You want to know which processor is in that $1,300 laptop? It's no old dual-core i5, that's for sure: The stock option is an Intel Core i7-4700MQ scoring a whopping 7,920 points on the exact same benchmark (LINK). That's more than twice the score of the stock option in the Mac, and the kicker is that this computer will likely cost less than the above-compared Mac once Instant Rebates have been applied:
cyberpower.png

mostly thanks to Apple's efforts in creating standards like Firwire and it's dumbed down cousin USB

Apple was struggling to keep its head above water when USB was created.
A group of seven companies began the development of USB in 1994: Compaq, DEC, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, NEC, and Nortel.

-Ki
Salem Beats

P.S., A final note: If you feel that you didn't get much performance for the dollar, it's because you got a laptop rather than a desktop. Desktop computers are (and always have been) several times more powerful than equivalently-priced laptops. I paid $1,200 for my desktop, whose Core i7 3930K processor scores a blinding 12,097 points on Passmark (LINK).

Last edited:
except that usb is a bastard child of firewire, so whilst Apple did not participate in its development it laid the framework for the standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back