one track at a time or two?

dksucharda

I currently have one mic as I am just getting started (SM 57). Much of what I have read says to record one track at a time so that the guitar track does not bleed onto the vocals and vice versa. This way each track can be adjusted independently. I understand the benefits to this but real life experiencing has shown this to be challenging to me. When I play the sing and play the guitar together I feel the guitar track and vocal tracks are better together. I sing better when I have a guitar behind me and I play better when there is vocals going on, plus it helps me keep my place. I am thinking of buying a condenser microphone so that I can record both at the same time. My question is, how wrong is this? I am trying to learn professional recording techniques and I am wondering if the pros always record each track independently or do they sometimes record both together. Thanks.

There is nothing wrong with what you mentioned here and both options are used. With 1 mic, you have to consider how you will get the best of all the things you are recording. This means mic placement techniques/experimenting with where a good location for the mic, instruments and yourself. With 2 mics you have more control over what your recording, but you also have to consider sounds bleeding into the other mic and potential phase related issues.

I personally like using more than one mic for recording different sounds simultaneously. The only extra work I have to do is find a good spot for 2 mics instead of 1.

Recording guitar & singing at the same time is a very common combo - yet it's pretty tricky to record in a way where you'll get both a good sound out of both "instruments" and a good separation between the two. Good article with some common practices and tips here: Recording A Singing Guitarist

Thanks Krushing. Great article. I was aware of some of the compromises and downsides of doing both at the same time but this article helped me minimize some of those downsides and for me i play better and sing better when I do them at the same time. Maybe someday I will be better at both independently but for now I am excited to try some new techniques. Thanks.

Back