Official Asr X/pro Discussion...

ves120 said:
For all of the AsrX pro users, is the sequencer any better than the Black one?

I've never actually used the black ASR X, but I own the red ASR X Pro and the sequencer is good. The only gripe one could make on it is that if you perform rapid fucntions (ie scrolling between tracks, banks, effects, and other paramerters) while the sequener is playing, it may skip. This should not be much of a concern unless you intend on using it live.

Most red ASR X Pro models have (or can be updated to) the latest 3.4 OS which is said to have the most stable sequencer.

Hey Bravo,
I noticed you mentioned having a problem with you X not opening a zip disk file? Anyways, what I did was buy a usb zip 100 drive off of ebay and hooked it up to the computer. I use one zip disk to transfer waves back and forth between soundforge and to my Red X. When I do save a drum kit as "1 sound", I would take the disk to the computer and save it to a folder, especially for safety purposes. If one zip disk fails, I can always copy and past the folder on the computer to a new zip disk. That was in the past. What I do now, since I am able to record into my computer, is record the sounds into the computer through Sound Forge into one whole sample. That way if I ever get a corrupted file or error reading, all I have to do is go back in sound forge and chop up each hit from the sample file I saved from before. If your able to record into your computer, just hit the record button and hit each pad, starting from the beginning and leave about 1 second of silence in between and them name the kit. If you ever need that kit again, just load the kit you sampled onto a zip disk. The ASR reads wav., and just chop up the sound sample back into a kit.

Oh, someone else mentioned midi'ing the ASR with other samplers. I don't know what your midi'ing up to, but I midi my ASR-10 and ASR-X Pro to an MPC 60. If you have a 60, I can help you out, if not, sorry. For anyone who is using an external sequencer and want to record midi notes into the sequencer, go to track edit and change "Track Midiout= disable" to "enable". Hit record on the midi sequencer and hit a pad on the asr-X, and you will hear the sound triggered in the recorded sequence.

Last edited:
Unsystematic said:
Hey Bravo,
I noticed you mentioned having a problem with you X not opening a zip disk file? Anyways, what I did was buy a usb zip 100 drive off of ebay and hooked it up to the computer. I use one zip disk to transfer waves back and forth between soundforge and to my Red X. When I do save a drum kit as "1 sound", I would take the disk to the computer and save it to a folder, especially for safety purposes. If one zip disk fails, I can always copy and past the folder on the computer to a new zip disk. That was in the past. What I do now, since I am able to record into my computer, is record the sounds into the computer through Sound Forge into one whole sample. That way if I ever get a corrupted file or error reading, all I have to do is go back in sound forge and chop up each hit from the sample file I saved from before. If your able to record into your computer, just hit the record button and hit each pad, starting from the beginning and leave about 1 second of silence in between and them name the kit. If you ever need that kit again, just load the kit you sampled onto a zip disk. The ASR reads wav., and just chop up the sound sample back into a kit.

Friggin Brilliant Dude!

Yeah, I think my SCSI is pretty much toast and maybe even my disk. Those things are known to act up after a while right? Oh well live and learn...Destroy and Rebuild.

So as i understand you were using 2 Zip Drives. One SCSI and one USB and just swapping disk back and forth?

I'm actually searching the web for somewhere where I could downlowd a copy of Sound Forge or another comparable wave editor. Any ideas?

So looks like I'm going to have to invest in some new drives and disk and what not...

Last edited:
Have you tried reseting your scsi bus within the ASR-X? Read up on the manual, it should explain it somewhere. I've had problems with my zip disks and disk drives failing on me twice. If you buy them used, it can be a hit and miss when it comes to long term use. Anythings bound to fail eventually.

Unsystematic said:
Have you tried reseting your scsi bus within the ASR-X? Read up on the manual, it should explain it somewhere. I've had problems with my zip disks and disk drives failing on me twice. If you buy them used, it can be a hit and miss when it comes to long term use. Anythings bound to fail eventually.

Yeah, I reset the Bus to no avail.

Well at least I know I'm not the only one.

note to self: back up files...

Wasup! I just needed some help on the specs of the asr-x(black). Just wanted to know if the ins/outs were balanced or unbalanced? I'm hooking up to my delta 1010 souncard which can except any type, but i wanted to know for the purpose of what cables to buy. For example i know my mpc 2000 uses balaced for the ins, and unbalanced for the outs. I read somewhere that if you use the wrong cables you increase noise in your sound, like up to 6db's. I already checked emu, and chicken sysyem website no help. Thanks!

What's up everyone?

I currently don't own an ASR-X, but did own an X-pro at one time. I now own and MPC 2000xl and let me tell you, I miss my freak'in X! I read about multisampling on the X. I'll clear some mis-conception up. Multi-sampling is when there are multiple samples withing a setup. Let's say from volume's 1-40 you have soft strings, and from volume 40 on up you have an arp of those strings, or something like that,...that's multi-sampling. The X can spread the sample out across the keys for you, but it isn't multi-sampling. From what I read on my MPC manual (haven't done it yet, the MPC 2000xl) can do this too.

(TAke you back to why I sold the X)...I had to make a choice between selling the 2000xl and the X for needed cash at the time , and the issue with using zip disks vs. cf cards is what did in the X. Losing data on the zips just sucked, but I frequently, I catch myself scoping ebay looking for a ASR-X again. I gotta have it again. The 2000xl sound is pathetic when it comes to the ASR sound. The layout of resampling on the X and the effects were great too. Damn I miss it. I will be back to the ASR-X family soon. Starting up a new ASR-X website? I"ll be there, let's bring this monster back.

whats the best way to use an ASR with FL studio? I want to use the ASR for sequencing drums and samples and a n analogue mixer to mix but i like arranging on a screen so whats the best way to to that, in lamens terms..proper basic otherwise i wont understand.

im thinking..ASR X-PRO--some type of interface?-mixer-some type of soundcard-MIDI in to FL

dont know if im on the right tracks or not..no pun intended...but id appriciate any answers

respect folks

LostProfit said:
whats the best way to use an ASR with FL studio? I want to use the ASR for sequencing drums and samples and a n analogue mixer to mix but i like arranging on a screen so whats the best way to to that, in lamens terms..proper basic otherwise i wont understand.

im thinking..ASR X-PRO--some type of interface?-mixer-some type of soundcard-MIDI in to FL

dont know if im on the right tracks or not..no pun intended...but id appriciate any answers

respect folks

I rum a similar setup at the moment, theres a coule of ways to integrate the X with a straight PC/souncard setup, neither are perfect but they both work

I currently run the ASRX into Sonar (audio) and both MIDI IN/OUT, if you work this way you basically use the X as a MIDI comtroller recording the data you play on the pads into sonar. the audio is monitiored thru sonars inputs and you are free to use the filters, FX etc on the X like normal, the good thing about this mnethos is once you are happy with a loop or arrangement you can just loop record the individual track into a Sonar audio channel and then you can sequence tha audio plus use VST FX etc, alternatively you can just sequence the midi loops in Sonar and record individual tracks with a whole arrangement. I find this to be a pretty dope setup as you get the sound of the X with option of the audop flexibility of plugins etc, the only downside is that you dont get the swing of the ASRX sequencer which trust me is dope and ****s on the MPC's swing (I have owned both). The solution to this is to just create a basic track, loops in the x then save the MIDI sequqnce and open it up in Sonar (or whatever), it maps perfectly for me straigt off and then you can continue the arrangement in software.

I do also use FL and have tried to use a similar setup there with very poor results, the X works as a MIDI controller but thats it, I have had no luck using FL to sequence the X (and I'm not a MIDI novice, it just doesnt work), also the saved MIDI files do not open in FL 6, perhaps some extra header info saved by the X that it cant translate, dunno, it works fine in Sonar, Cubase , Live and everything else ive triedm just not FL, add to this the fact that you cant record audio in FL and you might want to consider learning a DAW of some descrip if this is what you want to do, overall I have found FL to suck at external MIDI generally

Oh, unless you have some sort of vintage or very expensive analogue console I dont think you will gain anything by using a hardwrae mixer in the chain

Last edited by a moderator:
on the ASR-X PRO (the red one), can anyone tell me about the Stomper drum synthesizer for making drum sounds inside the machine?

that is one of the main appeals for me...

i just bought an MPC 1000 but strongly considered the ASR-X PRO while shopping around. someday, i'll probably put some money together and grab one second hand off ebay.

how neccesary is an external zip disk drive for an ASR-X PRO?

is there internal storage at all? or does it have to load everything like a MPC does?

any recommendations for zip drives to use with an ASR-X PRO? (like what size and brand)

thanks

twinings said:
I rum a similar setup at the moment, theres a coule of ways to integrate the X with a straight PC/souncard setup, neither are perfect but they both work

I currently run the ASRX into Sonar (audio) and both MIDI IN/OUT, if you work this way you basically use the X as a MIDI comtroller recording the data you play on the pads into sonar. the audio is monitiored thru sonars inputs and you are free to use the filters, FX etc on the X like normal, the good thing about this mnethos is once you are happy with a loop or arrangement you can just loop record the individual track into a Sonar audio channel and then you can sequence tha audio plus use VST FX etc, alternatively you can just sequence the midi loops in Sonar and record individual tracks with a whole arrangement. I find this to be a pretty dope setup as you get the sound of the X with option of the audop flexibility of plugins etc, the only downside is that you dont get the swing of the ASRX sequencer which trust me is dope and ****s on the MPC's swing (I have owned both). The solution to this is to just create a basic track, loops in the x then save the MIDI sequqnce and open it up in Sonar (or whatever), it maps perfectly for me straigt off and then you can continue the arrangement in software.

I do also use FL and have tried to use a similar setup there with very poor results, the X works as a MIDI controller but thats it, I have had no luck using FL to sequence the X (and I'm not a MIDI novice, it just doesnt work), also the saved MIDI files do not open in FL 6, perhaps some extra header info saved by the X that it cant translate, dunno, it works fine in Sonar, Cubase , Live and everything else ive triedm just not FL, add to this the fact that you cant record audio in FL and you might want to consider learning a DAW of some descrip if this is what you want to do, overall I have found FL to suck at external MIDI generally

Oh, unless you have some sort of vintage or very expensive analogue console I dont think you will gain anything by using a hardwrae mixer in the chain

thanks for that (im a bit late on the response, i know)

Im pretty fluent with Cubase and Logic, whats Sonar like in comparison with them?

and where can i hear some of your music? Im curious to hear something you've done with that setup

LostProfit said:
thanks for that (im a bit late on the response, i know)

Im pretty fluent with Cubase and Logic, whats Sonar like in comparison with them?

and where can i hear some of your music? Im curious to hear something you've done with that setup

Sonar is pretty similar to Cubase, minor workflow differences really, ,y soundclick is www.soundclick.com/dfonic, the top 15 or so tracks were done mostly with the ASRX and Sonar, some pretty much only with ASRX, just rough mixes anyways

Definetley feeling those beats bro, especially "shadows" thats real heavy.

Do you think if I used the X just as a MIDI controller I could use the ADSR envelopes? Because I like the sound of my s950 and If i could use the pads on the X-PRO and the usability of humble FL I'd be very happy.

Back