No idea what I'm doing.. need help making sure I understand how this should work.

CPhoenix

CharlesAllen/ BMR Studios
I'm looking to purchase some hardware.. and I'm going to start off w/ grabbing some sound modules (I'm thinking about a Roland JV 1080 due to price and apparently it's a great sound for the value). I've strictly been using software... so hooking up hardware is a little new to me. I like to know how things are going to work before I attempt to route everything together.

I own a midi keyboard (Radium49), audio interface (MAudio Firewire 410). The 410 has 4 line ins, as well as midi in and out. There is no midi Thru. It has S/PDIF in and out as well. I'm looking to sequence everything in my DAW (Presonus Studio One).

I'm assuming that to use the sound module.. i'm going to need to route my midi keyboard > rack. And i'm assuming i'm going to need to route the audio from the rack to my interface, and i'd be recording that audio on DAW tracks.. the same way I would record a voice.

Is there a better way to do this by any chance?

Also... if I wanted to control the rack AND my software synths at the same time, is it possible to do that with ONE midi keyboard? Or should I purchase a new midi keyboard as well to control the rack?

I'm just so confused!!! hahaha

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Also.... if I begin adding all of these different sound modules..... would a fullblown midi interface w/ multiple midi channels be necessary?

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Ultimately I'd like to be able to record the MIDI in my DAW, and route the hardware to that midi track. That way I have more control over adjusting notes.

Is this even possible? lol I've been trying to figure it out but I still have no idea.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

*sigh* I'm really thinking hard on this. Would I go FW410 Midi Out > sound module's Midi In. And then route the module's audio outs to FW's audio in to bring the sound in?

You pretty much have it figured out. Studio can do all of this. Midi Out to your sound module then route your audio. Set your sound module up as a Instrument device.

If you get more hardware down the line you will need a midi interface with more midi connections including and audio interface with more I/O.

Back