No firewire port- what do I do....

SetUsAlight

Found myself in a bit of a problem. My dad decided to help me out (and get his laptop back) by ordering me a new PC to do my mixing, designing etc on. I'm a mac fan but I thought, fair enough. He took a gamble by ordering from Mesh (notoriously awful customer service, but apparently great PC's for the money).

Weeks late (no surprises there), it arrived today, with one fundamental problem- no firewire port. (as well as other things missing that aren't as important) My M-audio desk is firewire and a fw port was the one thing I really, really needed to be there.

Reading customer reviews of Mesh, this mess could take months to sort out, and I don't expect any cooperation from them. This is time I don't have, as I have a few projects coming up I urgently need a stable setup for.

I'm not terribly computer savvy so I'm not sure what to do. Should I sell my desk and get a USB-based interface? Or could I get a firewire port built into the PC? Or something, anything? Some help would be massively appreciated, sorry if this dilemma's just plain stupid, but I'm pretty aggravated.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Check to see if your laptop has a PCIexpress slot for expansions. A lot do. If yours does.... problem solved. You can purchase a Firewire Port for it. If not... you have two options. Firewire to USB adapters do exist (though I have no idea what the quality is like, or if it will work for an interface)... or you'd have to try to get another laptop.

Hope it works out man... that's a rough situation to be in.

Is this a laptop or a desktop/tower?

If the latter, then just add a firewire card for as little as $5, delivery time and 10 minutes installation time.

If the former, then you may be better off getting a new mixer.

It seems it is a desktop, install a PCI Firewire card. Any case made after 2007 with a free PCI slot in your motherboard should take about 5 minutes. If you are running Windows 7 the drivers will probably already be there. WIN!

Back