Nirvana isn't really grunge?

I respect where you are coming from Deranged however the past is not prologue.
Yes. artists don't try to challenge themselves in the same way they used to. But is it always worth the end result?

EG Beat it by Michael Jackson. EVH was not a studio musician. He was intimidated by the whole production process. He laid down 20 different takes for his part. Not one of them cut the mustard. Quncy Jones spent more time on mixing EVH's track for that one song then for the entire album. Eventually he fount three different takes that could work and mixed between them to produce the end result.
YES EVH is a studio musician he's produced and played on his own albums beginning in 1979 and in 1983 or 1984 he BUILT 5150 STUDIOS in his backyard and he's done collabs on others albums, he's more known as a guitar hero but he knows how to work in the studio 10 multi platinum albums prove that. Even today producers chop guitar solos like that ..thats something alot of major producers did then and still do now, i dont think it was that EVH wasnt cuttin it cause he's a guitar master .. iits prolly quincy just wanted the best parts from all of those takes and it was easier to chop than to analyze and have EVH learn & play the best parts together in one take, prolly saved money on studio time also. i've got a guitar mag collection dating back to 88 or 89 so i've read every interview with every major guitar player and have read this more than a few times..... now real rock is the original Guns n Roses, Led Zepplin, Aerosmith, motley crue, etc.. alot of the nineties rock bands had an ALTERNATIVE flavor. thats why they were on the old MTV video show alternative nation or 120 minutes... headbangers ball was playin the real rock in the nineties

Last edited:
I have not heard much, but I believe the Pixies were a big influence on Kurt, and he even admitted to lifting some of their vocalizations. On the songs I have heard, I have heard some similarities in the vocal style. The music is generally more mellow I believe.
There were many knock off bands in the late 90's for the music, take your pick. There was one band - Oleander, and their one hit that I remember might as well as been called "New band finds unreleased Nirvana song and plays and sings it exactly like Nirvana". LOL!!! I don't remember the song, but I liked it back in the day. They couldn't play well live, and the performance really sucked it up from what I remember, and they faded away pretty fast from the limelight.

Marcy's Playground is pretty similar to some things Nirvana did. A great band either way. Their first album is under-rated, I feel.

sonic youth sounds very similar, were a huge inspiration for nirvana, the pixies were similar as well, but yeayoure right about very few of their contemporaries having the same sound, but my bloody valentine were a little similar, in their textural sound, uhh failure sounds very much like nevermind era nirvana sometimes, id check out the album fantastic planet, one of my favs, oh the melvins had a similar harsh sound, damnit that reminds me that i deleted my melvins album a while ago, and mudhoney is pretty similar, though less polished than nevermind, morel ike bleach-era nirvana, another thing about finding similar grunge is if your looking for the sort of polished sound of music like nirvana its disappointingly very unlikely because they all didnt have the money and fruits of a major label backing, that they did, yet its still great

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 AM ----------

Marcy's Playground is pretty similar to some things Nirvana did. A great band either way. Their first album is under-rated, I feel.

definitely, thats a solid album, aside from the saint joe on the school bus song stealing from nirvana, i like it

Why do we put so much emphasis on "what happened to real hip hop". I hate to say it, but "real rock" took a way harder hit. WTF happened to the days of "real rock"? Now we gotta settle for Chester French, The Jonas Brothers...These dudes don't Rock!!!!

They make dope music, but Dave Matthews Band did as well, and DMB indeed did not rock.

What happened to the NINs and Perfect Circles, Weezers, Smashing Pumpkins, and Stain'ds hell, Puddle of Muds, even Limp Bizkits?

Don't ever call the Jonas Brothers rock man, it's not even close to being rock. It's pop-rock at best and then I'm being nice, but mostly it's just very lame and extremely commercial abc-pop.

That's what happened to most of the names you've mentioned. They got commercial and lost their original fans because of that.

I agree though, the harder rock of the old days is dead.

It seems grindcore, hardcore, speedcore, gothic rock and all the ridiculous metal abominations we got now, got more popular in a matter of only a few years. Don't ask me why, as I really do not get it.

The grungier rock from the nineties are just totally gone and with all that emo crap going on nowadays, grunge is pretty much just dead.

It's a pity, although I must say Nirvana has been a sinking ship the last few years of Curt's life. It's really not that suprising that he killed himself and yes he did just that, despite all conspiracy theories.

Near the end Curt couldn't even stay sober for the duration of 2 or 3 songs or was so high he forgot what the f he was doing on stage in the first place and who he was.

It was very pathetic. They could have never topped Nevermind anyway. In fact, that band would have been long since forgotten if it hadn't been for Curt's freaking shotgun scene. And the band's been selling more records ever since of course.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

it depends what you mean. if you're looking for samples, then soundgarden have a similar sound.
but kurt was a genius without equal.

True geniuses do not kill themselves, thinking it's the only way out. Wake the fck up.

SamUgliestDogLulu_sm.jpg

Now he Rocks YEAAAAAAAAA

Last edited:
Call me stupid, but I always thought Nirvana were the headstone of Grunge. I always picture the Grunge era as being a collection of many bands, like Alice in Chains or Faith No More, but with Nirvana at the forefront.

So yes they are grunge, in my opinion.

Nirvana was just polished up commercial grunge. I always hear Pearl Jam mentioned in the same sentence for rec. Also you can get into Post Grunge (seether,Puddle of mud, etc) They have similar Nirvana/Kurt Cobain Vocal Qualities/Riffs.

Nirvana were the most commercial grunge band. Grunge died when Kurt Cobain committed suicide.

Lol Nirvana is the definition of grunge, grunge really isn't a type of music, its more of a style/look, nirvana was punk rock, kurt cobain was grunge, the stuff he wore was grunge , he didnt give a **** about what people said, he did things other bands wouldn't do , but he has said a lot of his lyrics changed when he released nevermind. but i love nirvana, there my favorite band, hense my name is the lead singers name :D.

Back