Newbie has a question about buying a controller or synth

Empathy

Hello new friends,

I luckily just stumbled on this forum by accident and very happy I did because I can see how many active people are on this site and know this will become my new home for learning & sharing ideas.

Very Quick Bio. Playing guitar for 38 years in all genres of music. Yet a 53 year old fart like me happens to dig EDM big time so here I am trying to learn this very new and complexing style of music to write and produce.

I was in horrific accident at end of 2012 that left me permanently disabled. It was so bad I was pronounced dead for over 2 minutes. Looks like I lived. I had a terrible Traumatic Brain Injury and my My Drs asked what hobbies I had because they wanted me to start using my brain again. I told them chess & guitar. They couldn't be happier. Purchased a cheap nylon string to practice classical and played over 2000 games of online chess. I wanted to either become a Master at Chess or become passionate about music again. Music finally took over and I have never in my life been so passionate about music. Interesting twist to this story was as I quit music in 2008, sold my home studio, CDs , guitars etc. Never in a million years did I think I would be playing again and building a new home studio. This is just as much of a miracle as how I was being revived after being pronounced dead. It would be too long of a post or I would have shared the story.

So I was out of the music scene for almost 8 years and when I decided to build a new home studio, I thought Protools was the only game in town. Looks like I was wrong. First software & hardware I saw online was NI Massive. I thought I was done until I found out that Massive is not really a DAW.

Then I stumbled on a site called Ableton and saw Push and when I read it was a DAW and also designed for the musician meaning it could be used on live gigs, I was sold and purchased Ableton & Push about 10 months ago. I didn't use it for 5 months because it was too complicated for me but stuck with it and in the last 4 months of serious study, it started to come together. I didn't realize this was not like my old studio which never used MIDI so this was not easy for me. At first, I felt like an idiot for buying this gear because I could not grasp it , but know feel blessed everyday when I fire everything up. Yet I am still a newbie.

Current Studio: 2009 Imac 20 GB memory with added SSD drive, Ableton live 9 Suite, Push, JBL LSR 305 monitors, Beyer Dynamic 770 pro 80 ohm headphones, Scarlett 2i4 interface, Two KMI foot controllers Soft Step 2 & 12 step, Godin Guitar with built in wireless MIDI controller call Fishman Triple Play. Software: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2, Trillian & Stylus RMX

I want to write & produce music at home but also want to gig again so that's why I have the two foot controllers:

Last piece of gear I want is a keyboard and can not decide between an analog synth or a controller. NEED HELP MAKING THIS DECISION!!!!!!

I narrowed it down to two pieces of gear that will cost me exactly the same out of money to the penny which is $1100.

NI Kontrol 61 with the crossgrade option meaning I would get Komplete Ultimate and Kontroller for $1100. Komplete Ultimate costs $1000 alone so it's like getting the Kontroller for $100. If I went with the Kontrol 49, it would be getting the controller for free.

My other option Moog Sub 37 brand new for $1100. I have a connection at a music store.

I realize these are two completely different animals and watched videos on the Moog and was blown away with it's deep sound and builtin arpeggiator & sequencer. I also realize how amazing it would be to have Komplete Ultimate. Life is short and I spent last 2 1/2 years recovering from my accident, so it's time for me to have some fun now.

I pretty much told you everything about what I want to accomplish.

Thanks for anyone who took the time to read this lengthy post and a real big thanks in advance to anyone who can help me make the decision on the two keyboards. I am going to go with the majority of recommendations. And please if possible, just add a short note why you picked one over the other.

God Bless & stay healthy & happy.

BobbyD

PS....I wasn't sure which forum to post this in so I am going to post in the hardware/software forum as well. I hope that is not breaking any rules.

Well, for that price...I'd probably just get the Moog (which also happens to be my favourite synth). Even if it ends up being not the thing you wanted, it'll retain its value (you can probably get more than what you're paying now) much better than Komplete. Besides that, they're so entirely different paths to go down that I think it's impossible for anyone but you to make that choice.

Back