New beat maker here, Looking for his First Midi controller, look inside to Help

H

Henrik-t

Hallo Guys ´n Gals.

New beat maker here, i recently bought a PC that had Abelton live installed, so i started dabbling whit it and want to expand my journey into making more music/beats ect..

So i have been looking on Keyboards "Midi" ones, and dont want to go too expencive.

I have narroved it down to a few ones. but i got a series of questions too.

NOVATION NOCTURN
NOVATION IMPULSE
NOVATION REMOTE SL MKII
M-Audio Axiom advanced
M- Audio Axiom

1. what to get 25, - 49, - 61 keys for beginner as i dont have any piano training, is using octave button that anoying when making music, and will more keys make me better in the long run to make melodies .? and will i really feel the differences in quality on key-beads .?
2. New NOVATION IMPULSE coming out, should i wait for it, ??
3. If i get the NOVATION NOCTURN ill not get a On broad display , again will i miss that and how useful it a display..?
4. any other products i should look at. for a new producer.
5. anyone got some links to written text or videos i should look at for learning abelton live and general beat making/song stuff stuf.

Thanks for the help in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:
its really like asking what should you eat for dinner. its all a matter of what you like and what you want.

as far as tutorials they are all over youtube

1. what to get 25, - 49, - 61 keys for beginner as i dont have any piano training, is using octave button that anoying when making music, and will more keys make me better in the long run to make melodies .? and will i really feel the differences in quality on key-beads .?

At least 49, preferably more - the octave button's annoyance factor obviously rises the less keys you have, but wouldn't go under 49 unless you have very little space or want to carry it along (or slouch on the sofa and have it on your lap :)). Playing with two hands on a 25-keyer isn't exactly the greatest of experiences. More keys doesn't really equal better melodies, but obviously it's easier to try things out. The keybed thing is a pretty personal preference and the only way to find out about that is to try 'em out. Let's just say it doesn't matter much if you're doing simple one-finger melodies, but any intricacy and expression in your playing and it starts to matter - on cheapo keyboards/-beds it can be hard to play consistently quietly (=low velocity), for example. The Novations have pretty nice keybeds.

2. New NOVATION IMPULSE coming out, should i wait for it, ??

Hard to say. Feature-wise, it looks like it's somewhere between the Nocturns and the SLs.

3. If i get the NOVATION NOCTURN ill not get a On broad display , again will i miss that and how useful it a display..?

Well, I guess it's nice to have some feedback on what parameters you're controlling - especially if just starting out. You'll still see the stuff happening on your computer's screen, so I don't think the onboard display is terribly important. But it depends on your workflow and of course the physical arrangement of your equipment...in the sense that if you have to constantly twist your neck to see what's happening in Live when playing the keyboard, then it's obviously nicer to just look at the keyboard's display.

5. anyone got some links to written text or videos i should look at for learning abelton live and general beat making/song stuff stuf.

Someone else can fill in on the tutorial side, but make sure you read Live's manual through and through, and do the built-in lessons/tutorials. That should already get you up and running; the rest of it is really just applying the knowledge.

Back