MPC or Maschine?

I would take Maschine over an MPC... and I own both.

The problem I have with Maschine, just like any software application, is that it's lifespan is very limited. As long as you can find/build a computer to use it, you're ok. But there will come a time that you're going to have to upgrade. Apple's Logic Pro 4 for instance. You can't use it unless you still have a G5 or older PowerPC computer. With the way the market is, I'll be able to buy old G5's for a long time to come, so unless my audio interface goes out & I have to buy a new one (again, I would have to buy something that would work with a G5) I should be good. Or, if there's a new feature you want in updated software, you'd have to upgrade your system. I'm using Logic 7 now, on a G5. I think it will run on a newer Mac, but I'm not sure.

But the point is one day, you'll eventually have to upgrade.

Where that isn't the case with an MPC. There are people still using MPC 60s & 2000s. They're retrofitting technology, like smart media cards to work with them. I think there are people keeping SCSI alive, just so they can use that aspect of the MPC.

It makes me laugh when people say that music production is more "complex" now than it used to be. No it's not. The only thing that's changed is that computers and music software are ubiquitous now. Since most people have computers anyway for non-music-related purposes, it makes financial sense for a lot of people to make music with their computers, especially since getting pirated software is so damn easy. However, it's not like modern music styles can't be produced with traditional hardware. That's a load of crap. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that if you took two tracks that were essentially identical and recorded one with hardware and the other completely 'in the box,' the one that uses hardware would sound more interesting. The thing is, people just don't want to invest money, which is why they praise computers. Using a MPC isn't "difficult" in any way, nor is it limiting. You're only limited by your creativity.

If money and learning curve wasnt a problem mpc ren va maschine mk2 for hip hop west coast east coast beats ? And what soft wear ? Reason ? Pro tools ? Ect ?

It makes me laugh when people say that music production is more "complex" now than it used to be. No it's not. The only thing that's changed is that computers and music software are ubiquitous now. Since most people have computers anyway for non-music-related purposes, it makes financial sense for a lot of people to make music with their computers, especially since getting pirated software is so damn easy. However, it's not like modern music styles can't be produced with traditional hardware. That's a load of crap. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that if you took two tracks that were essentially identical and recorded one with hardware and the other completely 'in the box,' the one that uses hardware would sound more interesting. The thing is, people just don't want to invest money, which is why they praise computers. Using a MPC isn't "difficult" in any way, nor is it limiting. You're only limited by your creativity.
I don't buy the whole people don't want to invest argument. Its like saying everyone who uses software pirates it. Do a lot of people pirate software? Yes I think so. Do a lot of people pay for it? Yes I believe so as well. Hardware sounding more interesting is really debatable as well. It just doesn't sound like software. Well older hardware doesn't anyway but it comes with taking up a ton of space, higher electric bills, and maintenance. Plus you can't pick up your studio and take it with you. At least that is what I like about computer based production. I like all of the sounds I have available and all of the synths and samplers out there. All of the cool fx and I can recall anything at the touch of a button. I don't have to worry about finding floppies or having them fail on me. And yes hard drives fail but I personally haven't had a hard drive fail on me since like 2004 - 2005 I think I am pretty well covered there. I just don't see many benefits of having a hardware based studio these days and I have had both. Sold my Akai Miniak on Monday actually in favor of a midi controller for a more computer based workflow.

What do you need in terms of 'spec' on you computer to run Mashine?

Would I need a soundcard in addition to my laptop?

Google is your friend.

A dedicated soundcard would be ideal.

Still unsure my laptop is upto spec to run Maschine (despite following your link...)

I have an Acer-AspireOne-772, AMD Dual-Core C-50 (1.0 GHz), 4GB DDR3 Memory...

Had a ten year gap from making any kind of music but been getting itchy... Had planned on getting an Korg-ESX1 and saved half the cash at this point but Maschine looks like it could be the business and I should be able to 'midi-it-up' to my old Akai DPS12 harddisk recorder...

Maschine isn't cpu hungry its single core. Big difference. Most modern vsts are multicore especially fx. a chain of high quality fx can bring Machine to its knees fast

Plus you can't pick up your studio and take it with you.

It's easy to pack up almost any model of MPC when you travel.

I don't have to worry about finding floppies or having them fail on me.

And noone uses floppies anymore.Most are S.D cards(which hardly ever fail.Or hd's and
i've only known 1 cat have his drive go bad.

Peace

And noone uses floppies anymore.Most are S.D cards(which hardly ever fail.Or hd's and
i've only known 1 cat have his drive go bad.

Peace
you'd be surprised how many people still use floppy disks. a lot of people don't but a lot of people still do. SD cards are cool for those who want to mod their older mpc to get one in there or deal with scsi which to my understanding isn't any more reliable than floppy. I know my Mpc 2000 non xl would have to use scsi to get a SD card reader but the newer mpcs 2000xl and after can have internal just fine. Either way I made the jump to Maschine and I am happy I did. Great Mpc alternative with all of the fun modern fixings.

Yeah,the scsi connection on the 2000 is a little harder to convert over but i haven't heard of anyone having any problems after the switch.
Maschine seems cool and all but i still prefer the XL because i don't like being tied down to the computer but to each his own.

Peace

Maschine is an amazing thing.. I never really used an MPC, before i borrowed my friend's 2kXL couple days ago, been learning i and made my first beat on it today. I had to use floppy disk and only have 1 disk so i had to format disk, copy samples, load & assign - every 1.5 mb hah, pain.. but it was fun, and it came out decent. Someone said that about being connected to a computer isn't a good thing, i can see it but, using the MPC without any use of pc is pretty limiting as far as effects, eq, sound design while working on a beat. for me at least, i don't think using an MPC is going to improve my productions in too many ways. Anyways i fell inlove with the MPC, but my friend whom i borrowed it from bought a Maschine the other day, so we sat and just made 3 dope beats just like that. Its very fast. The Maschine totally just deleted my thought about buying the mans MPC and update it.. just killed it.. Im gonna buy a Maschine now. it does exactly what i want it to. Still going to use Reason for drumdesign/layering tho.. and synths + i like the sequencer in reason... But also the group thing is so simple in maschine + the drumsounds in Maschine is just raw.. and love the sampling simplicity. Reason sucks now lol

Maschine is an amazing thing.. I never really used an MPC, before i borrowed my friend's 2kXL couple days ago, been learning i and made my first beat on it today. I had to use floppy disk and only have 1 disk so i had to format disk, copy samples, load & assign - every 1.5 mb hah, pain.. but it was fun, and it came out decent. Someone said that about being connected to a computer isn't a good thing, i can see it but, using the MPC without any use of pc is pretty limiting as far as effects, eq, sound design while working on a beat. for me at least, i don't think using an MPC is going to improve my productions in too many ways. Anyways i fell inlove with the MPC, but my friend whom i borrowed it from bought a Maschine the other day, so we sat and just made 3 dope beats just like that. Its very fast. The Maschine totally just deleted my thought about buying the mans MPC and update it.. just killed it.. Im gonna buy a Maschine now. it does exactly what i want it to. Still going to use Reason for drumdesign/layering tho.. and synths + i like the sequencer in reason... But also the group thing is so simple in maschine + the drumsounds in Maschine is just raw.. and love the sampling simplicity. Reason sucks now lol
Heads up Maschine don't work with Reason. There are some midi out work arounds you can do on version 7 but overall they really don't work right together. Since "Reason sucks now" you might wanna sell that license and get Komplete. Komplete + Maschine is the shit. Been using that combo for a few months now. I still own and use Reason but I have not had a real reason to upgrade to version 7.

Well, i don't know if i can afford Maschine just yet. I got Logic studio 9, Reason 7 and an Mpk49. Its aight, but I miss Recycle actually.. I hate that i cant play the slice by 1 click, start to end in Reason now, its too much mouse work and zooming in and out and it ****s up my workflow. Im not going to get rid of Reason tho, but if nothing changes in Reason 7 with the updates, im defenitly gonna hurry up buying maschine because the sampling possibilities do exactly what i want.. - What i meant by designing drums in Reason was to export them to my library, so i can also use em in Maschine tho... But really, when having Maschine, and lets say you have a awesome beat with everything on it it just needs mixing, is there a simple way to bring everything to Logic for further mixing/soundprocessing/sequencing and more? Because that would be a monster setup... If rewiring is hard, bounce tracks works i guess? is it done easily?

When im going to get Maschine, i should also get Komplete or EW Complete Composers Collection? I've been thinking about that EW before, now i understand Logic better too + Maschine seems pretty easy too.. damn, i might make the switch before this year is over.. Got alot more power with all those sounds, compared to Reason. I'll never get rid of Reason tho, it has its purposes. always fun to make beats in Reason.. But yeah, Logic & Maschine good together anyone?

And yo, when do you think Maschine 3 gon drop? i guess their working on it now?

There isn't? So It doesn't work well with Logic then i presume..? Its all about workflow tho.. + you can hook the mpk to play midi in Maschine right? The pads on Maschine is nice too versus my mpk-mod pads, ok but not the same..

It is possible to rewire Reason to Maschine using RewireVST but it may be more of a pain in the a** than what it is worth.
The rewire vst sucks. 6 tracks and its 32 bit only. 32 bit isn't as much of a problem except that my vsts and reason that i have installed are 64 bit and to reinstall everything to 32 bit just for rewire is a pita. No thanks. It might work with Jbridge but I haven't tried it and J Bridge is buggy as hell

the biggest difference for me (I have owned mpc 60, 2000xl ,2500xl my favorite baby still got it, 3000 , 5000)
1. midi delay- you don't have delay with mpc (dont have to mess with midi data timing) mess up feel and rythm
2. sound big in 2500xl - but i learned how to do that myself within my daw studio one and maschine

Back