MPC 2500 or MV-8800??

Z

Zerep

Hi!

I am wondering what to buy - the MPC 2500 or MV-8800? I really like the colour screen on the MV, but everyone here seems to talk about the MPC...

If You compare the features and future suppport - what is best?

Best regards,

Christian

Its all about the mv baby!!! I've had the mpc 1k, 2kxl, and 4000 and all of them put together don't match the 8800. (Imo). I'm not against akai just because I chose to switch. I had no problems with none of the mpcs. I just wanted to try something else and I thank GOD I gave the mv a chance. Its really a nice piece for sampling, sequencing, effects, mixing and mastering. Burn a disc. If you know how to use it, its magic!!!!!! The learning curve is nothing when you're determined. Try it for yourself.

Zerep said:
Hi!

I am wondering what to buy - the MPC 2500 or MV-8800? I really like the colour screen on the MV, but everyone here seems to talk about the MPC...

Best regards,

Christian
The MV wins in both the features and support categories compared to the MPC2500. The MV series is an alternative to the MPC4000. Personally, I'd get a MPC1000 before a 2500, because of the JJ OS.

Zerep said:
Hi!

Best regards,

Christian
It really depends on your needs. In my case I already owned the Fantom so the MV would basically be more of the same. Since I was simply looking for the MPC feel in regards to my sequencer and drum programing, I went with the 2500 and haven't regretted the decision. If had to decide between my fantom and my 2500, I would choose the fantom hands down. It just does so much more than my 2500. If I had to do it all over again I would make the same decisions.

I don't think you are comparing the right MPC....2500?, that's basically a 1000.....you need to compare the MPC 4000 vs. MV 8800

;)

Last edited:
The MPC has an easier learning curve. But I like the idea of the MV, I may cop one in the future.

The learning curve is not an issue if you know the terms of the functions you'll use the machine for. I would say the 4k is the best mpc(imo) or most full featured. Never really got to mess with the 2500 but it seems like a larger 1000. The mouse and monitor alone puts the 88 far ahead of the mpcs. I can't see why you wouldn't get the 88 if you can afford it. Roland really got a future with this thing!!!!!!

deegood said:
The learning curve is not an issue if you know the terms of the functions you'll use the machine for. I would say the 4k is the best mpc(imo) or most full featured. Never really got to mess with the 2500 but it seems like a larger 1000. The mouse and monitor alone puts the 88 far ahead of the mpcs. I can't see why you wouldn't get the 88 if you can afford it. Roland really got a future with this thing!!!!!!
How would the fact that it has a monitor and a mouse put it ahead of any mpc? That really has nothing to do with making music in my opinion. That would be considered nice to have options in my book. The MV when compared with its rival the MPC 4K really doesn't have any major advantages with the exception of an active life cycle and a higher price tag.Truth of the matter both Akai and Roland both are repackaging old techology. There is really nothing cutting edge about either machine. You are correct about the 2500 essentially being a bigger 1000. There are some optional hardware differences but overall very similar machines. The options I find most useful are the standard 8 outs, the 4 midi connections, and the overall size of the unit, none of which the 1000 has. The 8800 will attract the same crowd that the 8000 did. Just as there is no earth moving differences between the MPC2500 and the MPC1000, the same holds true for the MV8000 and the MV8800. Find what suits you and stick with it.

Last edited:
Being able to look at a 19" wide screen makes a big difference. No it don't make the music for you but its nice. Being able to use a mouse to quickly navigate screens and parameters is helping my workflow bigtime! No I don't always wanna be double clicking a mouse all day either so I can do both when I choose(great option). The look of your studio and equiptment can make or break a deal sometimes. Clients love technology even if they can't work it. To each his own. I personally love the 8800 and I've only had it 2 weeks!!!!

deegood said:
Being able to look at a 19" wide screen makes a big difference. No it don't make the music for you but its nice. Being able to use a mouse to quickly navigate screens and parameters is helping my workflow bigtime! No I don't always wanna be double clicking a mouse all day either so I can do both when I choose(great option). The look of your studio and equiptment can make or break a deal sometimes. Clients love technology even if they can't work it. To each his own. I personally love the 8800 and I've only had it 2 weeks!!!!
I feel you there looking at that green screen on the 2500 can wear on the eyes. I have worked with few known artist and the will tell you the don't give a shiit if you make the track with 2 pots if it's hot then it is hot. I get young cats coming to the studio getting all excited to see the bright lights and big screens, not understanding that it really don't mean a thing if you can't make heads bop you feel me?
I get tired of silly generic questions such as "you got that new protools"
or " can you make me sound like_insert name_.(LOL)

Alright enough high jacking Zerep's post. Back to business!

:(
Memphlow said:
It really depends on your needs. In my case I already owned the Fantom so the MV would basically be more of the same. Since I was simply looking for the MPC feel in regards to my sequencer and drum programing, I went with the 2500 and haven't regretted the decision. If had to decide between my fantom and my 2500, I would choose the fantom hands down. It just does so much more than my 2500. If I had to do it all over again I would make the same decisions.
the mv8800 is not the same as the fantom i know cause i have them both

In all honesty, after reading the description of the new MV, I gotta say I'm really impressed. It seems like a great all in one electronic music making solution. Its definitely geared towards people who don't wanna use computers but wanna have things that they're missing in their hardware if they don't include a computer into their rig. If you don't own a computer or don't have a nicely loaded fast computer (with a DAW and some effects). Then the MV seems like a good deal.

However, if you do use a computer in your production game already then I'd go with the MPC. JJ OS is available for the 25. If you have your computer DAW set up the 25 is better equipped to cover the basic hardware advantages that you might need (i.e. 2 midi ins and 4 midi outs) which the MV does not have (WEAK!). Plus its cheaper and easier to learn to use (possibly quicker and simpler too).

When it comes down to it, I say consider what you alredy have and are using or what you plan on acquiring and using. Make your choice based on what you need after that. If you have a comp then cop a 25 (you'll be saving a chunk of change and have better hardware features). If you don't have a comp then cop the MV you'll have some software and some hardware.

Getting the mv didn't take me completely from the computer. Everthing will still make its way to protools for vocals and mixing. Even though the mv has a burner its slow as hell when you burn a full disc. So I'll complete the beats on the mv then transfer through usb and burn on the pc. Having the screen and mouse connected while making the beat is a lot like how I would do In protools so to me the mv is like a "mpc-pc" combo. Its been a pleasure to learn (not difficult at all imo).

sal vegas said:
:( the mv8800 is not the same as the fantom i know cause i have them both
More of the same meaning "similar" with the fantom being a more complete solution.
I was refering to the MV8000, but if you say so. I am will to bet that MV8800 cannot do anything that the Fantom can't of major importance and vice versa. It is the same old technology whether you want to believe it or not. They both are good machines and I love Roland products. I was referring to my experience when I said I didn't need both. Do what you do man.

Last edited:
I'm goin' with the MV. I have an mpc 1000 and its cool but its limited. I can't mixdown with it as well as i'd like to. Also seeing what you're doing on a vga screen can only be a plus.

dont have either but i like how you can hook the mv up to a monitor.

BigBrotherMotown said:
Could you elaborate on what EXACTLY the differences are????

BBM
im mean they both have sequencers thats the same,,,but the mv8800 has a built in cd rom drive that u can load up samples from cd roms and audio cds,and burn your beats .... it also has a deticated input for turntables so u dont have to hook up exturnal mixers. its also has a vga output. it also has the classic pattern mode with 64 tracks per pattern last time i checked the fantom had only 1 track per pattern witch sucks,,it also has a eq setting for every instrunment and every track it also has a 24 track mixer,,, and the classic drum grid editor,,,piano roll mouse etc.....i can keep going and going the fantom has none of this,,,,, holla back,,,,, the mv 8800's sequncer step all on the fantoms sequencer with steel toe boots

Last edited:
Back