MPC 2000xl question..? Yeah I'm still very new to it all

No Association

Whats going on guys I got my MPC 2000xl and I want to track all my tracks on it to my MacBook Pro what all would I need to do this I've looked at youtube videos online and they just jump right into synching it I want to know how the setup should look still having trouble finding the right set up right now I got:

Stanton STR8-20--------->(via phono pre amp) MPC 2000xl----------> Sending the sound out to some cheap walmart speakers

I also have a small Xenyx 2002 mixer that I don't have setup I bought the 8 outs and hooked that all up into my mpc 2000xl the DAW that I'm using is Pro Tools 10 and Logic Pro also have a Mbox mini so I would like help in tweaking this set up to get the best quality out of what I'm trying to do ( which is make some very high quality hip hop beats) Any more tips and information would be great thanks in advance for all the help

Since you have two mono inputs on your audio interface, you'd use the stereo outs of your MPC if you want to track out to Pro Tools or Logic.

Plug two 1/4" jacks to stereo outs of your MPC and the other ends to the ins of your interface (left out to left in and right out to right in).

You'll need a separate midi interface since your audio interface doesn't have one. You'd slave (at least I prefer having my 2000XL slaved, much better workflow) the MPC to your DAW: midi cable from midi out of the midi interface to a midi in on your MPC. And then follow Akai's instructions for syncing the MPC with the DAW you want to use for tracking out and mixing etc. (Synchronizing your MPC with Pro Tools & Synchronizing your MPC with Logic Pro 8, look for the MPC as master DAW as slave part), the instructions are written for the newer models but it's pretty much the same with the 2000XL.

Once synced, you'd arm a track in DAW and MPC should start playing when you click record in your DAW. Since you have two inputs on your interface, you can record one stereo track at a time, so as I mentioned you'd use the stereo outs of the 2000XL, not the 8-outs. You would record track by track by simply soloing a track (press F4 in main screen), recording it, going to the next track and recording again.. You'd probably want to connect your speakers to the audio interface to be able to monitor the recording process. Remember to add one empty bar in the beginning of your beat on your MPC, as it requires approximately a half bar to sync with your DAW.

A painstaking alternative to getting a midi interface would be again adding one bar to the beginning of your beat, but this time instead of it being empty, add a short sound such as a snare or a kick to the very beginning of each track so you'll be able to line up all the tracks faster.

Back