MPC 2000XL Help......Im Lost

Beatz R Us

Wuts good fam?......thought i would try to switch it up a bit.....i've been using software for about 6 years now, and i always wanted hardware....so i bought this MPC 2000XL & a Roland VS-880 from a friend.....But the thing is, The MPC doesn't have any sounds in it, floppy disks or anything.....I thought it at least came with some presets that i can f**k with.........So, my question is.......How do i get sounds on my MPC, or how can i transfer the files from my laptop to my MPC?....

*Jaws theme plays as dansgold approaches*

First of all, what kinda drive do you have? I'm guessing floppy drive?

Man, wish you would have inquired about this before buying the unit.

The problem is that you got a floppy drive and those are outdated. The MPC has tons and tons of drum programs for sale, but they come on CDs and Zip discs. I just did a search for sounds on floppy and I got absolutely no results.

Does your computer/laptop have a sound card? If so, I can send u links to some drum sounds which you can sample directly into your MPC. IT WOULD DO YOU A WORLD OF GOOD TO LEARN HOW TO MAKE PROGRAMS AND WHAT A PROGRAM EXACTLY IS.

And if you don't want to sample, then you have to now buy a zip 250MB drive which will read 100MB AND 250 MB discs. After you do that, the sky is the limit as far as preset sounds go. Because the MPC is possibly THE MOST popular sampling/sequencer of ALL TIME, there are tons of companiues offering sounds for it over the net.

What you are asking is a very broad question with a lot of answers. I have done my best, but if you are still unclear, let us know.

BTW, the ZIp drive will attatch to the SCSI port on the back of your 2000xl. It's not an internal drive. And don't buy a Jaz drive if you are looking to load preset sounds, because most places only make them available on Zip discs or cd roms.

Last edited:
Ok i would think its the standard mpc 2000xl you can load drum kits and other sounds by adding sounds 2 floppy disks which is not a great option because of storage issues a better option would be zip 100 connected through the available SCSI port i suggest an Iomega

The drives will run you about $50-$60. Make sure you get an external one with scsi and make sure it's 250MB.

And the actual discs that companies sell, they range from $20-$70.

Really man, sampling sounds and creating your own programs, is a beautiful thing.

Damn....I just spent all my cash getting tha MPC.....Now i guess im gonna have to just sit here and look at it for a couple of weeks.....lol

just found an old floppy disk....wonder how many sounds i can fit on it......lol........prolly bout 4 or 4 wav files........

Last edited:
If your computer has a floppy drive, then you wont have to just sit there. An entire drum kit or two should fit on the floppy. Let me know, and I can upload you the original MPC2000xkl sounds disc that should have come with the unit. It's got drum kits from the 60 to the 3000 to ones for the 2000xl.

before any of that, go to your manual and get an idea of what a .pgm file is.

um.........no my computer does not take floppy's........just CompactFlash I/II & SD.....i wuz just gonna take the floppy and sample some of my own drumkits from Fl 7 & Reason onto it.....

format the floppy drive first, so you know you will be able to save a kit on it.
Sample into the MpC using the audio "ins" (from fl 7 or reason) and then save to the floppy. One hits samples (not loops) should fit on a floppy. If not, it may ask for another floppy to continue the save.

If you have a kit with small loops, you could bump the semitone of the sample loop +8 or +10 on the computer, sample into the MPC and subtract (- 8) or (-10) to bring the sample back to the original speed and tone. Same trick people do with limited sample time and a loop on a record. (Note: the harmonics might change a bit).

Damn Homie, go to Circuit City, Best Buy or any computer store and buy an external floppy drive, shoot they cost about $20, then you can USB that External Floppy to your PC and move sounds back and forth! You can buy floppy discs at any Computer store as well, a box of 50 will cost you about $10. So, for $30, you can get a drive and a sh!t load of floppies and get to work.

Go online find your sounds and download them, then transfer them to said floppy disks through said floppy drive, then load them into your MPC!

Also, download the manual from www.akaipro.com, it will help you immensly!

PEACE OUT!

Yeah, you got an old school MPC. Same one I got. I got like literally 60 disks full of sounds at least. The factories are pretty small samples(mono, sampled short, sometimes 22 and 11khz) so you get entire drum kits per disk. But I can't tell you how to get them again if they didn't come with the MPC. If I were you, I'd start accumulating my own sounds. It's not hard, just go buy a buncha floppies and start sampling everything you can get your hands on.

If you got an MP3 Player or Portable CD Player, hook it right up to the input and start going thru songs, you can get quality digital samples from anything you snatch and have a sick library in no time.

Don't get dicouraged, you got a great music production tool in your hands. You just gotta get everything running.

If you get a floppy drive, or way to transfer them, hit me back and I can send you a gang of sounds and kits via email.

deRaNged_@msn.com

Last edited:
So honestly.............Do u think i should get rid of this MPC and go back software?...........Or should i just get a zip drive and try it out????

Beatz R Us said:
So honestly.............Do u think i should get rid of this MPC and go back software?...........Or should i just get a zip drive and try it out????
NO! If you're really ready to switch from software to hardware, keep the MPC. You can either go the route of buying the USB floppy drive like kcsherrell@mac.com said, or you can check online for a card reader; they cost a little more, but a 1GB card will hold you over the rest of your life (maybe 2). You already have the MPC, why get rid of it? There are people out there that still sample, create and save complete songs on floppies, so it can be done.

yea, i feel ya.......but im not really much of a sampler....i like to compose most of my shyt....but if i find a really hot azz sample, then i would like to flip it.....but i just thought that sampling on hardware might be a lil easier than doin it on software.....

Beatz R Us said:
yea, i feel ya.......but im not really much of a sampler....i like to compose most of my shyt....but if i find a really hot azz sample, then i would like to flip it.....but i just thought that sampling on hardware might be a lil easier than doin it on software.....
If you end up not sampling with it, the sequencer is still nice. I've come to like sequencing on my MPC then just recording everything into a daw later on.

^^^Yeah, I still use my MPC as a sequencer from time to time when using Reason. You can even save everything in your .RSN file(or whatever software sequencer you use)so later when you open it without the MPC, all the sequencing is the way you left it.

ok....so if i save a beat on my mpc with a floppy with sounds used from a different floppy....how will i open it up?.....

Back