MPC 1000 issues... need input.

SUPERBANANABOMB

Ok guys, I just got a used MPC 1000 (black) not too long ago and I'm having some weird issues. I've had a 2000 XL for years but the 1000 is making me scratch my head. I'm not sure where to start, so I'll just kind of mention everything that comes to mind:

1. I finally figured out how to turn the factory sample + sequences autoload off, but is there any way to actually delete the factory sounds and sequences altogether?

2. I am running JJOS 3.12, which is the newest free version. (I think?)

3. I bought the 1000 used and I can only assume that the pads/sensors need replacing, because 2 of them only work unless I slam the pad, and many others seem to trigger a sample really fast over and over again, almost like I'm holding the note repeat button. My top left pad, for example, will sound all glitchy and weird if I lightly press on the pad, and when I release pads, there is a sort of short decay sound. The only way I can get pads to not multi-trigger is by tapping them quickly and precisely, but even if I do that, I can still get the glitchy sound sometimes. Has anyone experienced this?

4. A friend gave me a CF card when I got my 1000, and he already had a TR-808 KIT folder on it. Within the folder, there is a .PGM file that is supposed to load the entire kit to the pads. If I go to each sample individually, I can preview the sound just fine by using F-button that corresponds to "play" on the screen. The samples play just fine. However, I can not get the samples to play elsewhere. If I load the program.. no sound. If I try loading the samples to pads individually, no sound. What is up with this?

5. Can anyone explain to me how to set up an autoload folder? I basically want my 1000 to default to a sampled 808 kit upon booting up. I never want to see the factory sequences or samples again.

6. If I am attempting to preview sounds on the load screens and cannot hear a sample, is this likely because it was recorded above 16-bit? I have tons of sampled drum machine kits, but it seems like only some of them will allow me to preview and use them.

7. What exactly are the advantages of having JJOS? From what I can tell, it doesn't seem as though JJOS really offers much more than the stock Akai OS that I had initially. Can someone give me a list or link me somewhere?

Aside from these issues, I think that the MPC 1000 is a pretty sweet machine aside from the shitty pads. Eventually I'm going to buy a 2500 because it appears as though the 1000's are constantly prone to hardware failure.

1. You can't delete all that shit, I can't even access it anymore.. Although they do have the drums on the official website.
2. Yupp..
3. My pads are good.. I do plan on gettin the upgrade kit at some point though.
4. Most likely has something to do with the sample bit rate.
5. There's an F# button either in the Load/Save screen, it should be set to OFF if you turned it off.. Create a folder on the HD or CF card named AUTOLOAD put whatever you want in the folder, go back to the AUTOLOAD function and set it to the CF/HD.
6. Cause it's not 44.1kHz 16-bit.. It may preview if it isn't but it won't sound right or it'll sound sped up. I use Audacity or NCH Switch Sound File Converter to deal with this..
7. Then go back to the Akai OS lol.. Idk the exact differences because I never dug into the Akai OS like the free JJ OS but you're just gonna have to take everyone's word for it.

1. You can't delete all that shit, I can't even access it anymore.. Although they do have the drums on the official website.
2. Yupp..
3. My pads are good.. I do plan on gettin the upgrade kit at some point though.
4. Most likely has something to do with the sample bit rate.
5. There's an F# button either in the Load/Save screen, it should be set to OFF if you turned it off.. Create a folder on the HD or CF card named AUTOLOAD put whatever you want in the folder, go back to the AUTOLOAD function and set it to the CF/HD.
6. Cause it's not 44.1kHz 16-bit.. It may preview if it isn't but it won't sound right or it'll sound sped up. I use Audacity or NCH Switch Sound File Converter to deal with this..
7. Then go back to the Akai OS lol.. Idk the exact differences because I never dug into the Akai OS like the free JJ OS but you're just gonna have to take everyone's word for it.

It's pretty retarded that we can't delete the factory sounds. The manual is also kinda crap too, full of "Engrish." I'd like to know how the pad upgrade kit actually feels. I've used properly functioning MPC 1000's (without the upgrade) and the pads just aren't that great compared to the 2000 XL. I hope that the 2500 feels similar to the 2000 XL. I am going to batch convert my drum samples to 44.1, 16-bit sometime today because it's a pain in the ass not being able to use 90% of my stuff. How do I create a folder within the MPC itself? I know that I could easily create a folder if I hooked it up to my laptop via USB, but is there a way to make an autoload folder without actually hooking it up to my laptop? The TR-808 kit I was talking about really confuses me because when I preview the sound before loading/assigning anything, the samples play just fine and aren't glitched out or pitched wrong. They sound perfect. It really makes no sense why I can't use them. I don't plan on going back to the Akai OS because soooo many people have good things to say about JJ, but I'm just not sure what the actual differences are.

Then I guess it's retarded that you can't put samples in the internal memory.. Lol. It has to be on the CF card or HD. On the SAVE tab in the Load screen you can create a new folder. Also for some samples you may not be able to batch convert, that's why I said I use Audacity as well. I've never read the manual because it doesn't correspond to the JJ OS. I've learned everything from fukn with it. I could give a fuk about the pad upgrade, it gets the job done as is.

Then I guess it's retarded that you can't put samples in the internal memory.. Lol. It has to be on the CF card or HD. On the SAVE tab in the Load screen you can create a new folder. Also for some samples you may not be able to batch convert, that's why I said I use Audacity as well. I've never read the manual because it doesn't correspond to the JJ OS. I've learned everything from fukn with it. I could give a fuk about the pad upgrade, it gets the job done as is.

Which JJ are you using? The MPC 1000 manual that I downloaded online corresponds basically perfectly with JJOS 3.12. That's why I asked what the differences between the stock OS and JJOS are, because I don't know based upon the manual. I actually figured out what was wrong with my pads. 2 of them are ****ed up but as far as the rest being glitchy, I found a video on YouTube in which the guy had the exact same problem as me, and someone left a comment with some advice that worked! As it turns out, my "pad on" setting (under "other" options) was set too low. It was on something like 4. The guy who left the comment said an optimal setting was 16 or so, so I switched it and BAM! Working great! I made a quick 4 bar beat using Roland TR-77 sounds and ran it through my Sherman Filterbank... about blew out my windows! I am kinda rethinking the pad upgrade now. I can live with 2 pads that don't work too well, especially since we have 4 pad banks to play with. If I can't get the exact velocity I want when laying down a drum part, I'll just edit that manually. I think I saved myself about $175 today... I was just about to order the upgrade and now I'm glad that I didn't; however, if other pads start crapping out on me, I'm getting it ASAP. Thanks for your input man!

And yeah... the internal stock sounds make no sense to me... I mean, those sounds are stored where? Why can't we overwrite them? Who in the hell actually uses stock sounds anyway? lol

Then Idk why you askin, you can read the manual & make you uh chart nigga. I got the same one as you.. Grab uh midi controller, problem solved.

Back