Motif Sequencer

Kaminota

Kanye West's Ego Online
Just started using my Motif XS as my main sequencer instead of Pro Tools...

And Goddamn.... I did not realize ...(Although I read before) that the song mode / pattern modes could work so seamlessly together. Nice!

It's just like working on Pro Tools ... just more handsy than most would like... only difference is everything is the board..

I just got to figure out how to get my Midi Editor to work better with the whole thing...

But the motif brand could do much better with the midi editor inside and remove the software intergration...

Its crazy to think about sequencing on a keyboard or anything else for that matter since daws started coming out but it is and can be a great workflow. Restricted but in the same way your restricted with a MPC. It just forces you to work different.

The Motif XS sequencer is pretty good. They have started to make it more DAW like in appearance. I don't mind sequencing on a keyboard and actually prefer hardware sequencing to software in some aspects. Software offers some nice points but hardware has its on feel and advantages also.

I have sequenced on Korg's when I had my Karma and now on my Motif XS. I have also done it via MPC and EMU command station. In general, the hardware has a better feel to the groove and i don't spend as much time doing retakes as I do with software only. Of course, there are limitations and nothing beats being able to cut/copy and paste midi data where you want it vs. sitting there going through multiple screens and giving it numeric bar values.

Its crazy to think about sequencing on a keyboard or anything else for that matter since daws started coming out but it is and can be a great workflow. Restricted but in the same way your restricted with a MPC. It just forces you to work different.
I disgaree. I prefer sequencing on hardware especially the mpc.

Sequencing on the Command Station is so easy and fast... Emu was tripping when they stopped make those things...

I still havent tried to sequence on my XS...Hardware sequencing just dont appeal to me...I do too much tweaking on the go and like to start mixing right away. Plus I dont really like small menus and the lack of options in my xs....Everything seems so complicated...just small things like quantizing. And I cant really imagine editing single notes on a hardware piece....

Last edited:
I hate the Motif's way of embedded contextual menus...simple things like Undo should be immediately accessible. I also hate that the Motif has only 16 tracks, I could easily blow through 10 tracks firing drums and one shots. I hated doing the Motif ES/XS Hip Hop Demos on the board itself, many times I had to use the MPC and then transfer the motif demos to the board.

I hate the Motif's way of embedded contextual menus...simple things like Undo should be immediately accessible. I also hate that the Motif has only 16 tracks, I could easily blow through 10 tracks firing drums and one shots. I hated doing the Motif ES/XS Hip Hop Demos on the board itself, many times I had to use the MPC and then transfer the motif demos to the board.

:bigeyes:, say it aint so! Honestly, I have never really used the ES's sequencer, but the XS isn't that bad. I have made some quick sketches just to try it out, but I usually use the MPC 2500.

Board wise, I think the easiest board to sequence on is between the Fantom X/G and Korg Sequencer, Triton/Karma/M3 etc. I used the Karma's and it was pretty easy and grooved. Never used the Triton's and only used the Fantom's in GC, but the Fantom's seemed really easy to use just demoing it which is a shame cause the MV 8000/8800 are not easy to just go in GC and figure out without a manual.

I do wish that they would up the keyboard sequencers to at least 32 tracks.

I can see the advantages of sequencing on both Software and Hardware, but I am going to agree with Xabition. I like the menus and how everything is accessible right in the MPC or most hardware pieces. Software is a very powerful thing and my main issue is my ADD having ass just gets sidetracked and I lose momentum. Hardware for me keeps things moving and I don't get too lost in the options, because in most cases there isn't as many options, which I suppose can be good and bad, but for me it is Mos Def a good thing!

Software is opening a whole new world for me and most producers, musicians, but I often find that it confuses the issue by giving me access to things that I don't need. Not too mention, the Oh, I should go check my e-mail factor! LOL!

ONE

Last edited:
Back