Melody/chords/music theory

I've been were you are before...Here is a dope little playlist I've made for people like us fam

Thanks, its just this certain description that is confusing me like how would c c f g look on my piano roll is what I am basically asking? I know the chords more or less, i don't know if it wants me to hit c then go a octave higher and hit the next c then f and g....it is visually confusing

C - C - F - G would look like on the piano roll.

1. C, E and G played at the same time,
2. C, E and G played at the same time again
3. F, A and C played at the same time.
4. G, B and D played at the same time

The octave you play the notes in doesn't matter, play about with changing different octaves whenever you like and spreading chords across multiple octaves

Last edited:
yeah you are thinking to much dude if there are two C notes in a transcription then yeah you are playing c in one octave and c in another octave, the octave you play is up to YOU! That can be scary when we are first starting but once you get comfortable with things you'll love that freedom.

To be honest, if you just practice a lot and trust your ears, you learn how to manage all that stuff by yourself, sometimes I feel like "ohhh I need to learn theory to become better" but in the end my mind is a way better composer than a freaking guideline :D

Also, I´ve noticed by watching interviews and by own experience that the best melodies are those, that come into your mind like from nowhere, then you go crazy cause you can´t find your phone and in the end when you´ve whistled that melody into your smartphone without hitting a single note properly, put it into your daw and give it a basic bassline and the kick, you gonna think like "jesus, that´s the best melody ever created in history"

Producing melodies from guidelines always feel a bit synthetic and melodies that came into your mind are 100% natural and authentic, it´s just my personal opinion but so many pros do share the opinion as well :P

re:chord progressions in the dummies book.

when you see C C F G or whatever, they are referring to major chords, as someone explained above. not octaves, as someone else tried to explain.

if one of them is a minor chord it usually has min after it, like Cmin for C minor. other notation like maj7 is major 7th or min9th for minor 9th etc.

and chords dont make melodies, they support melodies. if you feel like the melody you're playing isnt in a specific key, you just havent figured out the key.

learn how to write melodies by playing along with pop music, see how they are written in the key they are written in, see how the accompanying chords support the melody harmonically (playing different notes from the melody but still sounding "right").

hope that helps.

I want to share you a lil trick if you don't want to spend too much time in chords. Search on google Piano chords scale or any intrument. It will show you all the possible chords chart. All you have to do is experience the sound that you want. By playing the note as it says ec: (C, D, F)Just by listen to them. Have a nice day

Last edited:
Think I had a AHA moment ( Hoping) as you know chord progressions caused me slight confusion.....

After going over them in the music theory book and various websites I think I took a step forward?

Ok so with chord progressions if I want to do a chord progression let's say in the key of C

And I want to play a I IV V IV chord progression it would progress like this?

C-E-G F-A-C G-B-D F-A-C

Last edited:
Think I had a AHA moment ( Hoping) as you know chord progressions caused me slight confusion.....

After going over them in the music theory book and various websites I think I took a step forward?

Ok so with chord progressions if I want to do a chord progression let's say in the key of C

And I want to play a I IV V IV chord progression it would progress like this?

C-E-G F-A-C G-B-D F-A-C
Yes, that is a I IV V IV in the key of C major.

Baby steps :sing:
You're further along than you think just by learning that progression.
Now all you have to do is learn the pentatonic scale in major and minor, flat the fifth(the "blue" note), and now you can play THOUSANDS of blues songs since the I IV V is a standard blues progression. Learn the 12 bar blues. Substitute those major chords for dominant sevenths, add the ii and V chord for a turnaround at the end and you're ready to rock. Baby steps....that is a pretty big jump, man!

Last edited:
It's funny cause what threw me off was the way I worded it to myself, I really have to stop this ADD reading, I read so fast I don't let thing absorb

Usually when I am creating a melody I just improvise on my midi-controller whilst staying in a particular scale. When I was starting out however I created a melody by just playing what I wanted to hear next.

Back